Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2012, 05:07 PM   #1

I need help with storage bay door latch.

Help, please. The door latch to my sewer compartment is stuck in the closed position. The door lock is not engaged. When I lift the handle of the latch it does not engage. How do I get the door to open?

I have a 2002 Model 4095 Dutch Star.

Thanks.

P.S. - My black tank is full!
bobinaugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2012, 04:57 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
If the door latch is on the bottom of the door you will need a large screw driver to be put between the door and frame.
I had the same problem with my Kountry Star.
You need to lie on the ground and see where the latch catches the cargo bay and try to engage latch. Took me about 10 minutes of trying and not do any damage.
Good luck

THE MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE, IT MUST BE OPEN TO WORK
read & learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 05:31 AM   #3

Had this happen to me on a Holiday Rambler Imperial. Do you have the type of latch that has a central handle and two cables that go out to each edge to pull the actual catch? I was able to screw out the hose access port from underneath the bay and reach my arm in far enough to grab the cables and release the catches. Good luck.
HabitatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:20 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have broken several of the end latches on my cargo doors. I used a large screwdriver to open the gap between the doors, and then took a smaller screwdriver
to push the latch back into the latch closure while pulling the door latch to open. The problem is with the plastic part that breaks off about an inch inside the closure not allowing the door handle to open one side of the door. Everything's made out of plastic these days, door latches, auto head light lens, etc.etc, There is a company that now makes those door latches out of aluminum. R.B. Enterprises or ph. 661-269-3233 Good luck
Old 09-28-2012, 08:48 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have just the opposite problem. My door latch for my electric opens and the latch stays in the open position. I have a pair of needle nose pliars that I use to pull the latch down. How do you key the replacement lock to use the same key?
stevieptcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:57 AM   #6

I finally got the sewer compartment door opened. As it turns out it is a two-person job. I had to enlist the services of my lovely wife.

Here's how we did it: I pried, and held, the bottom steel plate toward the center of the coach using a large broad-blade screw driver. Then, while my wife pushed against the door at the latch, I pried, and held, the lock plunger ("bolt") straight up with a smaller screw driver. While holding both screw drivers in place, my wife, then, with all her might, pulled the door open. Whew!

Now, my wife stresses that one needs to wear gloves when pulling on the bottom of the door because it is sharp and her delicate hands needed the protection.

Now, after the rain has stopped, I'll remove the latch mechanism, tear it down, and see if I can repair it. If not, I have a spare.

But, the key, again, is having someone push and pull the door at the right times.
bobinaugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:10 PM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
Steve; Your key will have a number stamped on it, get a lock set with that number.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:08 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks Hooligan. That's what I was looking for.
stevieptcb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, storage