Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2012, 02:03 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
But can you throw a football over a mountain?:.)

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2012, 02:06 PM   #16

...as one poster said, "trailering can be dificult..."; very good advice, one thing I always attempt to forwarn rv'ers is to ALWAYS plan ahead and think ahead when it comes to traveling. Where will you stop, will it be difficult to maneuver, etc. These little things will be easier on your nerves..............

Old 05-22-2012, 02:11 PM   #17

But can you throw a football over a mountain?:.)

hmmmm.........how big is the mountain? and is it a regulation football? LOLOLOL; NO, I cannot throw a football over a mountain; but, our son while he was a place kicker in high school (4AAAA) kicked one from the 50 yard line out of the stadium and over the field house for a total of 77 yards.......his average in legitimate conditions was 68 yards.
Old 05-22-2012, 02:14 PM   #18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM68 View Post
Easier just to lose the scion.

?lots of cars / small suv's can be towed 4 down.believe me it is the only way, once you've done it, you will never go back.
I've towed our '05 Honda Odyssey on a dolly and four down, going back to the dolly from now on. Towed the Ody to CA and then AZ and back to WA, found many rock chips in the hood, knocked the front end alignment out and ran the battery down three times. None of which happens when on the dolly.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 02:15 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Wow! Very cool.
Old 05-22-2012, 02:18 PM   #20

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgator View Post
...as one poster said, "trailering can be dificult..."; very good advice, one thing I always attempt to forwarn rv'ers is to ALWAYS plan ahead and think ahead when it comes to traveling. Where will you stop, will it be difficult to maneuver, etc. These little things will be easier on your nerves..............
Actually I wasn't doubting your abilities, but rather I was trying to state some CG's have limited space to park a car and a trailer.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 04:49 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
scgator,

What floorplan are you interested in? We had a Fleetwood Jamboree 31-M that we liked alot (then we had grandkids so we got a bunk bed floorplan- the Winnebago Sightseer 35-J). Your 34-TT probably has as much or a little more inside space as our 35-J because you have no engine or drive train. Are you looking for a bigger rig, a toy hauler, or something else?
Old 05-22-2012, 07:37 PM   #22

putin.............ours will also contain grandkids.....LOL

Wannabe....I understand, we have seen some of those CG; our present truck and TT come out to 57'
Old 05-22-2012, 07:59 PM   #23

Our first class A was with a dolly for 5 years. Didn't know any better so it was pretty OK and I never laid on the muddy (or dry) ground to hook up the safety chains so maybe I was doing it wrong. The new (to us) class A came with a tow package so we have been 4 down for 3 years. It's pretty OK too but had to install a base plate which is fine unless I change cars then it's another chunk of change for a new plate. The dolly didn't care what car was on it though. I guess it's just what ever you like or can tolerate.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:37 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
dont forget to subtract several feet of living space due to the cab area of the C-class. you get a bit back from the cab-over area (like a bed and/or entertainment center), but the cab itself doesn't do you much good when parked. just trying to keep the choices apple-to-apple.
Old 05-23-2012, 12:04 AM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ok.....what just happened?
Old 05-23-2012, 06:36 AM   #26

Do yourself a huge favor. Sell the Scion and get a Toad that you can flat tow. No dollies or trailers.

I use a Wrangler. Love it!

Mercedes MBE 926
Eddie Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 07:01 AM   #27

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I towed an 18' trailer behind my 28' Southwind for about 6 years, I could run the car up and have it hooked up before most could get their 4 down toad hooked up. Advantages are that you can back up if you get in a tight place, you can't do that with a 4 down toad, not sure about a dolly, another advantage is you can see the trailer in your mirrors ( I know there are backup cameras). So it depends on what you are comfortable with, and you don't have to do anything to your toad, but drive it on the trailer.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 01:01 PM   #28

Franka548, I tend to agree with you more; it is much easier to back a trailer than to "guess" where the toad is at. some have said that the OAL is to great, but my present rig is almost 57' (if you include the spare tire on the back bumper).

We will go with a trailer; some have suggested selling the Scion, but I got too good of a deal on it ($9500 for a 2008 Scion XD w/47K on the speedo). Even if I custom build my own trailer, it will come out less expensive.