Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2012, 11:04 AM   #1

I need opinions..........

Now, that is a way to start a thread !!! Actually, we have full timed with a 34' TT for three years and are ready to change. We are considering going up to a class C or Class A gas; we will not buy new, it is too much of a depreciation hit. Our 34' TT is plenty of room and the layout is good; My premise is that if I go larger TT or a 5'er, I will also have to buy a new truck. So, if I am going to have to spend serious cash, I will combine the two purchases into one vehicle. What do you guys think? Any suggestions for brands, lengths, etc.?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2012, 11:41 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Judging by the price a newer HD tow vehicle will set you back, I agree with your reasoning. You should be able to get a pretty nice Class A or C for what you would need to spend.

I would vote for a class A over a C, mainly because there is so much more basement storage room in a class A, and because driving in a class A puts you up higher with a better view.

Another thing to consider is purchasing a toad.
When we did our first shake down on our MH, we didn't have our toad set up yet. We soon figured out why so many people have them. It's a hassle to break camp and set it back up again just to run small errands.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 11:47 AM   #3

"Another thing to consider is purchasing a toad."

We just bought a new Toyota Scion XD in February, so we're good there; which brings up another question...tow dolly or car trailer?
Old 05-22-2012, 12:18 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Car dolly works fine for a front wheel drive.
Old 05-22-2012, 12:25 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by milasman View Post
Car dolly works fine for a front wheel drive.
Tow dollies are just plain nasty. I had one and sold it after one week of towing. It was just too much work to get the car on and strapped down, then off again. You have to lay down on the (muddy) ground to attach the safety chains. And then there is the problem of storing the dolly in a campground. If the OP is going to buy a toad anyway, just make sure it is one that can be towed 4 down. We bought a Honda Fit which is a great toad. 4 down and it weighs just 2650 pounds. I believe the CRV is also towable 4 down.
Old 05-22-2012, 12:36 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
OP stated he just bought a Scion XD (which must be toad on a dolly).

Old 05-22-2012, 12:42 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Poster has a Toyota Scion, again, tow dolly works fine for front wheel drive car.
Old 05-22-2012, 12:44 PM   #8

Solo Rvers Club
I tow my Suzuki flat, but I've taken a serious dislike to several friends' tow dollies over the years. Laying on the ground, wrestling with the straps, checking tightness every so many miles.... I would put the Scion on a trailer.
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 12:46 PM   #9

I am retired, but have many years as a welder and fabricator; I may just custom build a car trailer specific to the Scion; my overall length will be the same, and I won't "have to get in the mud" as a previous poster mentioned.
Old 05-22-2012, 12:55 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Trailers are heavier and bigger and more of a campground storage problem. Thinking you would also have to check straps on the trailer also. Tow dolly, trailers, four down all have there problems, no perfect way.
Old 05-22-2012, 01:13 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Easier just to lose the scion.

?lots of cars / small suv's can be towed 4 down.believe me it is the only way, once you've done it, you will never go back.
Old 05-22-2012, 01:38 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have had one dolly in seven years and six different cars. All six cars rolled right up on that dolly no problem. No mods made to cars, no different plates, bars or attachments bought. No extra wheel alignments made. Never laid in the mud. Drive it up and strap it down, pretty simple really. Four down is cool no doubt. Tow dolly good if you have more than one car. Sometimes I tow Corolla, sometimes Honda van, depends on who, what, and where we going.
Old 05-22-2012, 01:45 PM   #13

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgator View Post
I am retired, but have many years as a welder and fabricator; I may just custom build a car trailer specific to the Scion; my overall length will be the same, and I won't "have to get in the mud" as a previous poster mentioned.
Trailering a car will be difficult when you need to back into some sites. Limited space at some very nice RV parks/campgrounds may need to be passed on, in favor of larger pull through spaces.

I would rather have a small dolly that can be tucked in behind the RV then a trailer, even if it requires a bit more work to use it.

Old 05-22-2012, 01:57 PM   #14

backing and parking are not issues; I have done this many a "night" with stainless steel tankers 40' long and 10-12" apart. I realize maybe my experiences are a little unusual for the average person, but moving equipment and machinery has always been my forte'. I once moved a 70' mobile office trailer a mile and a half across a construction site with a 20,000 # capacity forklift; I did not pull it, I picked it up and carried across the job site, while it was balanced on the forks.

But, I do appreciate the advice of those who have posted; your recommendations are both valid and worthwhile. That is what I like about this forum group, plenty of good advice from good people.