Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2013, 10:52 AM   #15

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
How can things work on the battery but not on 120.

Simple. You fried your converter AND from the sounds of it you need a converter upgrade anyway.

I'm kind of surprised the microwave works

Plugging into 240 volt will usually take out:
The converter (If you have an "in-line" inverter that goes too)
The Televisions, and any Radios or assoicated electronics like Sat Receivers, CD players and such.

The Microwave

IT MAY (Depending on other factors) take out the Fridge and Water heater

IT WILL NOT: damage the furnace (It is a 12 volt device) or the lights (usually) as they are 12 volt devices.. Likewise the Vent fans.

However, if the converter lets the surge through before it blows.. Those can buy it too.

NOW is a very good time to consider the wisdom of a power monitor (RV Type Surge Guard)... There is another thread "Do I need one or not" and several have posted about plugging into 240 volt and the thing did it's job.. And blocked the high voltage from the RV.

You plug in and the display says CAUTION 240 volts and it never transfers power to the RV.

(Mine says 123 volts just now)

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2013, 11:00 AM   #16

This recently happened to a friend of mine. He blew out: Microwave, rear TV, start capacitor on the rear AC, electric element on fridge and the flux capacitor.

Cricket SW3 Personal Transporter
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 11:22 AM   #17

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
It's a pretty common mistake, because the plug looks the same as the outlet. Understandable, to an extent, but nevertheless a bad mistake.

All good advice above, particularly the advice about getting a power monitor system. Kind of like buying a fire extinguisher the day after your house burns down, but will save you from this kind of thing once you get your RV back in order.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 12:07 PM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
No disrespect intended, but if I were you with your obvious limited knowledge of the camper's electrical systems, I would take it to a reputable rv service shop and have them go through it item by item. I think you're gonna find that you have destroyed many of your electrical appliances and rv electrical systems and the repair bill will be extensive.

Again, no disrespect, but you really need to get more knowledge about your camper. This is going to be an expensive lesson. Hope you get it all worked out.

Ron
Old 10-21-2013, 12:14 PM   #19
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Titan,
What others have failed to state, but have alluded to, is that there is a very big difference between a welding plug, drier plug and RV plugs. Even though the mail plug of the RV will fit into a drier (old type crows foot) and a welder plug the RV is NOT 220 volts. As stested, you are not the first nor will you be the last.

Here is some reading information for you: RV Electric Service, Connections and Basic Information
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 12:39 PM   #20

Iceman- whoever wired your pedestal should get special recognition; 0 volts between the two "hot" legs is a piece of artistry.

Titan- I clicked on your profile, looks like you have a travel trailer. Some of the responses above figure you have a motorcoach w/an inverter.
We had this happen to us in a rental house, the neutral wire back to the pole frayed through and there was no (or insufficient) ground at the house service, so 120V traveled into each 120V circuit (outlet, light, etc) on its hot wire, say Leg1 and connected to Neutral, while elsewhere Leg2 had a complete circuit to the Neutral, and the Neutral went nowhere. So the Neutral connected hot to hot. Fired TV, VCR (as a while ago), etc.

You fridge is probably repairable w/a new 120V board. You microwave may go out soon (took our TV 3 weeks to fry after the hit). Converter as was mentioned above woulda snapped immediately; look for the best upgrade you can find to replace it, you'll be glad you did (3 stage charging, etc), ask in the TT forums for recommendations and you'll get fast replies as converter change out is common.

Also as stated above, if you are not comfortable w/electricity in your hands, have this work done by somebody who is. It takes a calm & contemplative mind set to get a complicated electrical setup sorted out, and RV's can be pretty involved.
Old 10-21-2013, 12:48 PM   #21
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
RV Electric

This should enlighten you some as well as any "electricians" you may be getting advice from.

Once you are 100% sure your shoreline power is proper the rest of the circuits can be sorted out.

For a quick test on the refer you may find a 110 volt cord in the rear area and just run a decent extension cord directly to it to see if it runs on AC.

Your battery charge system could have taken a hit so hit your "test" panel and check the status of the batteries. The refer probably needs 12 volts to run on propane.

This is like eating an elephant. Just take one small bite at a time and it will get sorted out quickly.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 01:30 PM   #22

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
How can things work on the battery but not on 120.

Simple. You fried your converter AND from the sounds of it you need a converter upgrade anyway.

I'm kind of surprised the microwave works

Plugging into 240 volt will usually take out:
The converter (If you have an "in-line" inverter that goes too)
The Televisions, and any Radios or assoicated electronics like Sat Receivers, CD players and such.

The Microwave

IT MAY (Depending on other factors) take out the Fridge and Water heater

IT WILL NOT: damage the furnace (It is a 12 volt device) or the lights (usually) as they are 12 volt devices.. Likewise the Vent fans.

However, if the converter lets the surge through before it blows.. Those can buy it too.

NOW is a very good time to consider the wisdom of a power monitor (RV Type Surge Guard)... There is another thread "Do I need one or not" and several have posted about plugging into 240 volt and the thing did it's job.. And blocked the high voltage from the RV.

You plug in and the display says CAUTION 240 volts and it never transfers power to the RV.

(Mine says 123 volts just now)
The previous owners of KC were at a church camp somewhere and had a friend wire up a plug to the coach, it was wired up as a 220 (welder). It blew both televisions, the microwave, inverter, and the refrigerator. All those were replaced when it happened, on 2008.

Learning curves are really steep when you are dealing with this stuff, I mean STEEP! I went through it big time. Invest in a Progressive Industries EMS, you never have to worry about power again no matter where you are. I did, and it's saved a lot of problems with power since I put it in......

Please keep us posted as to what you get the final diagnostic/repair.

Also, disregard the 'judges' out there. Everyone learns things the same way, listening, watching, reading, reasoning, and my favorite, deductive reasoning. Nobody is born with all knowledge in the universe as some people believe themselves to be, yes me too.....

Titan, I hope you come out of this better than I worry for you.

Good luck and keep us posted. Let us know the results. It's information for everyone that helps.
Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 01:34 PM   #23

Yea for me!!!!!!!! I found the problem. I traced it back and did a little common sense thinking. What I found was on the converter there is a small quick blow fuse. I jumped it and everything works. Now off to get a new fuse.

Thank yall for the help. After listening to all the worst case scenarios this is great news to me.
Old 10-21-2013, 01:44 PM   #24
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Great news, thank you for the update.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 01:47 PM   #25

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan307 View Post
Yea for me!!!!!!!! I found the problem. I traced it back and did a little common sense thinking. What I found was on the converter there is a small quick blow fuse. I jumped it and everything works. Now off to get a new fuse.

Thank yall for the help. After listening to all the worst case scenarios this is great news to me.

Excellent news Titan!!!
Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 01:51 PM   #26
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Whew, you dodged a bullet there. Good news. Now, go relable that other receptacle.

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 11:09 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
Whew, you dodged a bullet there. Good news. Now, go relable that other receptacle.

Lori-

Re-label? Shooot i changed it to a 4 prong plug and recepticle and wrapped the recepticle in red tape. lol

thanks again for all the advice and help. this seems to be a very helpful group of people.