Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2013, 08:12 PM   #1

i need serious help

I am very new to to the camper scene and the other day i plugged the camper into my welder plug. this plug is 220 and the camper is 110 and now the only thing that works from the 110 power is the microwave. I can run everything from the battery and everything seems to work fine, lights, radio, A/C fans comes on btu not sure about compressor, dont know how to get the heat working will check it tomorrow and the fridge lights up on 12v but if i hook it up to 110 from outside it does not work.

How can things work with a 12v battery but not when hooked to the 110 outlet?

i have read that maybe just the boards are bad. where can i get these and how hard are they to replace? about how much do they run.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2013, 08:22 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Why would you do that? You may have fried many things. Hopefully, you only blew a fuse somewhere. Or, fried the inverter. Either way, you have to trace power from the cord to the inverter and then to a distribution box [aka breaker box]. Know how to use a volt meter? or a test light? Follow the path of the current til it stops. there, my friend is your problem!

bertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 08:22 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan307 View Post
I am very new to to the camper scene and the other day i plugged the camper into my welder plug. this plug is 220 and the camper is 110 and now the only thing that works from the 110 power is the microwave. I can run everything from the battery and everything seems to work fine, lights, radio, A/C fans comes on btu not sure about compressor, dont know how to get the heat working will check it tomorrow and the fridge lights up on 12v but if i hook it up to 110 from outside it does not work.

How can things work with a 12v battery but not when hooked to the 110 outlet?

i have read that maybe just the boards are bad. where can i get these and how hard are they to replace? about how much do they run.
I really hope you are pulling our legs on this post. If you did plug your service into your 220v welder outlet then you probably blew a fuse or two or worse fried something important.
Is the plug from your camper a 3 or 4 prong plug?. Do you have an inverter? What make and model camper do you have. A little more information would help you with your questions and requests for immediate help...
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 08:28 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Regardless of why you did this just rest assured your not the first one to do it nor will you be the last.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 08:32 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
Regardless of why you did this just rest assured your not the first one to do it nor will you be the last.
AMEN
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 08:34 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

I am very new to to the camper scene and the other day i plugged the camper into my welder plug. this plug is 220 and the camper is 110 and now the only thing that works from the 110 power is the microwave.
Get out your checkbook or better yet your credit card with no limit as this was a costly mistake.

Chances are that the microwave is toast too!

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 10-20-2013, 08:43 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Don't feel bad, I did the same thing to a 36' 5th wheel. I got lucky, blew fuses, only lost the stereo. Like JohnRR said you're not the first and certainly won't be the last.

Odd thing on mine was, my son-in-law, the Master Electrician hooked it up to the dryer plug.

Hopefully, you'll get lucky and some items were protected by the fuses. If you're RV is a 30 amp or a 50 amp there are pig tails to bring them down to plug into house 20 or 15 amp plugs. These won't run your ac. Pig tails are available at Walmart.
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 08:44 PM   #8

my welder plug is the same looking plug dont feel bad like some one side your not the first or last

but i am 100% sure this is not a fast fix if it is some one is looking for you as they say

i am sure you well need new parts to AC ECMs to a new converter
most fuses and breakers are for over amps not volts so they should be good all the way up to guessing ?? 600 volts

give or take a 800$ bobo in parts giving you can fix and install them your self

if you had a system installed like a sugergarde or some thing like that the system well boot up just fine on 110ac but you are not seeing things working
Old 10-20-2013, 08:52 PM   #9

At least you didn't need help from the fire department!
Old 10-20-2013, 09:14 PM   #10

Titan, Are you saying you have a 50A rig with a 4 prong plug? Is this the first time you have plugged it in anywhere? Are you now plugged in elsewhere? Are you now plugging in the microwave or fridge in to a separate dedicated 110V extension cord? Have you located the breakers and fuses?

Your fridge usually needs 12VDC and 110VAC (or propane) to cool. Your microwave needs 110VAC. Your converter provides 12VDC to charge the house batteries and if you have an inverter, that provides 110VAC for TV's, other entertainment systems, and A/C's. Lights and furnace need 12 VDC from the batteries or converter.

Please give us a couple paragraphs of detailed information on exactly what happened, what is plugged in where, what is working, and whether you have located the breakers and fuses. And whether you have and can operate (preferably) a digital multimeter.
Old 10-20-2013, 09:15 PM   #11

its a 200 Skamper 25'.

the microwave works just fine on 12v or 110, the fridge,A/C,radio and lights all work fine on the 12v when hooked to the battery BUT NOT to 110.

My welding recepticle and the recepticle to this camper look exactly alike and both are close to the garage door, well lets say they used to look alike. changed the welding plug.
Old 10-20-2013, 09:24 PM   #12

I'm sorry, but I have never seen a microwave operate on 12 VDC, nor an airconditioner. Some refrigerators have a 110VAC or 12VDC capability in addition to propane, but most just have gas or 110. Need more info.
Old 10-20-2013, 11:15 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
its a 200 Skamper 25'.

the microwave works just fine on 12v or 110, the fridge,A/C,radio and lights all work fine on the 12v when hooked to the battery BUT NOT to 110.

My welding recepticle and the recepticle to this camper look exactly alike and both are close to the garage door, well lets say they used to look alike. changed the welding plug.
I do not intend to be cruel, but you need to step back and learn a little more about RV systems. I'm guessing that you mean your 120VAC equipment is working off the inverter. The inverter converts 12VDC to 120 VAC. Actually, I'm surprised you did not fry the inverter.

What this group needs to provide any guidance is for you to throughly check what works when the generator is running; when pluged into properly wired shore power; when solely on inverter. Three separate lists...
LakeKerrGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 07:44 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes, it is best to always check a plug with a volt meter before you hook up.

The NWR where we are volunteering was replacing the power boxes and adding 2 new sites. I told them to not touch my trailer until we had a chance to check the wiring first. Sure enough, the other 3 sites check fine and no problem to hook up. I check mine last and two wires were crosses. We had 120 volts from L2 to N and 240 volts L1 to N and L1 to L2, 0 volts.

I guess my surge protector would have caught the problem, but we left our power on the old pole until the shut down was over and they could correct the wiring.

You just never know.

Ken