Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2012, 10:37 PM   #29

Ginger for the motion sickness

We use powdered ginger (yes the spice) for my motion sickness and the dog's motion sickness. You can sprinkle it on their food in the morning. It really works well. I feel for your kitty as I too get motion sickness.

Also allow him to ride in a place that he can see out, preferably to the front where he can see the horizon.
micd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2012, 10:40 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
There are many places inland where you will not see the ocean for miles, then you will be right on the ocean. It is a constantly changing landscape with headlands, down low to the surf and tall bridges. How far have you driven today? Maybe you need to turn around and start over. Plan on no more than 100 miles in any given day. When stopped, stop for at least two days to see the sites in the area. Then move on again to the next town. Many people actually don't get much more than 50 miles on any given day. And truth be told that is how the coast is to be experienced. BTW there were no covered wagons down the coast. The original coast road was the beaches. First used by the local Indians, then by the white settlers. There was also several roads across the mountains from the valley. But since the coast range was so densly forrested the coast route from Astoria on the beach was much easier travel. The only real problems were the numerous rivers. Many times they hired local natives to ferry them across the rivers so they could continue their journey.
I love this history. Thank you for posting for me to read i have drove over 100 miles. From warrenton to florence. We are going to go to the dunes tommorow. It should be fun.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:47 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorLynn View Post
what are you trying to say? That i shouldnt tell hubby how to drive? its my job...lol.
thanks Kat
Just sayin' there's someone more afraid of heights than you. I did get her to pull my finger though.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:53 PM   #32

I took same GF to Kauai. She sat in the middle of the helicopter while I saw the island through the viewfinder of a camcorder... including the inside of a volcano.

Old 06-25-2012, 10:55 PM   #33

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
I have traveled very little since i started fulltiming in May. Today was the day we really started heading down the Oregon coast. I suppose i was expecting something really awesome, don't get me wrong, it was breath taking views, but oh my...maybe too breathtaking. I am very afraid of heights, so this was crazy!

So my belly is upset from this 101 (and i may add the road is in terrible shape) then out of no wear my cat starts yowling in his kitty taxi. (he goes in the taxi because he gets upset tummy too and he does better in the taxi) i turn torward him and tell him he is ok. Then this SMELL......i go open his taxi and he had puked and pood. I grab a bunch of paper towels and start cleaning franticly, i am yelling at hubby to pull OVER NOW! He pulls over next spot and i give kitty a full bubble bath in the sink. So now kitty is a wet rat and very UPSET. So now i have a drenched very upset cat who decides to press himself against the rv front windshield for the rest of the trip.

Oh and forgot to mention we also got ourselves in a bind and had to unhook the toad for 2 seconds to back up a couple feet.

RVing is so glamorous in the mind, but getting out there is a whole nother ballgame...LOL...sigh...i hope tomorrrow is better.
And the problem is?

Sounds like a normal day to me!!

We put our oldest (17½ years old) cat down on Friday, and then Sat night one of the Japanese Bobtails got into the fireplace! We now have a black and grey with some patches of tan kitty.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:00 PM   #34

Quote:
I am upset that kitty gets so upset. I will not and can not get rid of him, i am a fulltimer. Maybe he will get used to traveling? I hope so much.
What may help is not leaving him in the crate. Or not leaving him in it for hours at a time. Loose in the MH he can use his litter box as needed. You can stop every hour and give him the chance to use it.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:15 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by micd View Post
We use powdered ginger (yes the spice) for my motion sickness and the dog's motion sickness. You can sprinkle it on their food in the morning. It really works well. I feel for your kitty as I too get motion sickness.

Also allow him to ride in a place that he can see out, preferably to the front where he can see the horizon.
thank you for this advice. I thought keeping him in his taxi would give him security of the motion, but it did not. And after his bath he went straight to the window and didnt move from there. So for now on, the window it will be
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
I took same GF to Kauai. She sat in the middle of the helicopter while I saw the island through the viewfinder of a camcorder... including the inside of a volcano.
its sounds like a wonderful time and great views, but too scary for me. The only way i would get in a any aircraft is if it was my coarpse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
And the problem is?

Sounds like a normal day to me!!

We put our oldest (17½ years old) cat down on Friday, and then Sat night one of the Japanese Bobtails got into the fireplace! We now have a black and grey with some patches of tan kitty.
im so sorry about your loss of your kitty. My kitty is 5 years old, so hopefully he has many more fun years in him.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:46 PM   #36

National RV Owners Club
If you are full-timing, it is the time to really see things. I agree, a couple of days per rv campground/resort whatever. Short drives even take longer with an rv. You say, as you plan..."it's only 11 miles" -- and it takes almost a half an hour due to traffic, terrain. It has taken us a week to get from Winchester Bay to Garibaldi Bay. And we aren't full timing. Just 'cruising' with grandson.

Nice to start early, see things, stop early, set up and spend a couple of days. Otherwise, by the time you get nicely settled, it's time to raise the jacks, batten the hatches and rumble down the road again. Soon would get tiresome full timing that way.

JoAnn
ka7suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:31 AM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
If this post finds you still in Florence this morning, take some time there if you can. Check out the historic district, see the dunes, maybe even ride the dunes, come back north a few miles and check out Cape Perpetua. The views from there are spectacular. There is a lot more to see but that would get you started and fill at least one day.
Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 10:59 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
I took a GF off-roading years ago in my 4X4 Jeep. She wouldn't even let me go down a 2 wheel drive hill.
Did she also wash & curl her hair everyday and pile on the makeup for camping? Some people just aren't made for off roading.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:03 AM   #39

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm sure things will get alot better. Just hang in there.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:07 AM   #40

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig_R View Post
If this post finds you still in Florence this morning, take some time there if you can. Check out the historic district, see the dunes, maybe even ride the dunes, come back north a few miles and check out Cape Perpetua. The views from there are spectacular. There is a lot more to see but that would get you started and fill at least one day.
We almost missed the historic district....its actually below at the River level....we spent hours there having lunch and checking out the great stores....that is one place we are for sure heading back too....
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:38 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat_nda_sand View Post
Did she also wash & curl her hair everyday and pile on the makeup for camping? Some people just aren't made for off roading.
Don't remember, but probably did to impress me . I do remember going to the lake and one of the ladies came out of her truck camper all dolled up. Really pissed off the ones that didn't bother to bring their make-over/body work kits.

Old 06-26-2012, 03:00 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankdamp View Post
It's too late for you now, but for others who are white-knucke right-seaters, you might want to consider the trip from South to North. That way the cliffs and steep drops are on the other side of the road. We did that last October and really enjoyed it until the wether turned sour.

We covered from Cape Blanco as far north as Lincoln City and might go back this fall to do the rest up to Astoria, then across the Columbia bridge and home via Olympia, I-5 and I-405.

The negative is that, every time you want to pull off into a scnic stop, you have to cross the southbound traffic.
Thank you! What a great suggestion! I plan on that coastal trip once I get my RV, INCLUDING Hwy 1 in California, and never thought of that. Not just better for the passenger ... puts a lane between you and the cliff edge, instead of worrying where that edge of the MH is!

I am a bit of a white-knuckle driver in the mountains, but had not considered that when planning my route. I was tentatively planning the opposite direction - up through the northern states Dakota, Idaho, Washington ... then down along the coast through Oregon and California. Now I will just reverse the loop, and plan on frequent stops, not just driving through.

Another example of why I love IRV2 so much!

Kathryn

"Wise men still seek Him..."
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote