Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2019, 04:28 PM   #1
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I really miss camping.........

I remember when we bought our first 5er back in 2000 and started "camping". We took it out to the local COE campground for the weekend where a good friend met us and helped me back it into the site. We hung the colored globe lights under the awning and strung out the rope lights on the ground around the patio area. I don't think we've ever been more excited (except maybe on our wedding night). We couldn't believe how friendly all the other campers were, walking by and waving as we soaked it all in!

This was repeated just about every weekend, with an occasional week-long vacation trip thrown in. We went through three 5ers between 2000 and 2002 before getting the "perfect" rig for our needs. We ended up with a 36' Cedar Creek with a beautiful picture window on the back that we dearly loved.

Then came retirement and the itch to travel the country to see all those grand sights that folks kept telling us about. We decided that a motorhome and toad would serve our needs much better, so in 2012 we bought the Monaco Windsor. A month after the purchase we took a 2-month trip out west, going through 13 states and putting 7000 miles on the motorhome plus a lot on the toad. We loved it, but thinking back that was the beginning of the end. We were no longer "campers", we were now "RVers".

Do any of you have these feelings that somewhere along the way you lost some of the old excitement? Yes, I know we can take the motorhome out to the local COE campground, but we rarely do. It's just not the same........
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2019, 04:38 PM   #2

Sounds like your tastes are changing. It happens to everyone as we age. The things I liked 10 years ago aren't nearly as fun as they used to be. I remember them fondly, but I also remember roller coasters fondly. Now, the kiddie coaster at the local fair has me ready to puke just looking at it.
Itchytoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 04:55 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Been doing it for many years and still love it and still get excited, especially when visiting a new place.

Nick
Allegro Red
Old 08-09-2019, 05:11 PM   #4

In 2000 you had a 5th wheel and began 'camping'. What did you do differently then than you can now with your motor home. You can still string those lights. You can still go to COE parks. Now you say you're no longer 'campers' but are now 'RVers'. I just don't understand the difference to you.

First, my idea of 'campers' is tent camping. Anything to do with RVs is RVing. But that's just me.

With our 40' motorhome we still did everything that tent campers do. We went down gravel roads in national forests and found our spot to set up. We didn't need hookups. Nothing changed in the way we RV'd from our tent camping days. We still cooked outside; still had a campfire and marshmallows; still went fishing in the streams and lakes; still went swimming in them, also.

No, we never did loose the excitement!

Where do you go that you don't use the COE anymore. Why don't you? Could it be that you're just tired of RVing altogether?
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 05:31 PM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
In 2000 you had a 5th wheel and began 'camping'. What did you do differently then than you can now with your motor home. You can still string those lights. You can still go to COE parks. Now you say you're no longer 'campers' but are now 'RVers'. I just don't understand the difference to you.

First, my idea of 'campers' is tent camping. Anything to do with RVs is RVing. But that's just me.

With our 40' motorhome we still did everything that tent campers do. We went down gravel roads in national forests and found our spot to set up. We didn't need hookups. Nothing changed in the way we RV'd from our tent camping days. We still cooked outside; still had a campfire and marshmallows; still went fishing in the streams and lakes; still went swimming in them, also.

No, we never did loose the excitement!

Where do you go that you don't use the COE anymore. Why don't you? Could it be that you're just tired of RVing altogether?
You've brought out some interesting thoughts. First, I can tell you that we're not tired of RV'ing! Part of the problem may be that in recent years Annette and I have had medical problems that have kept up from being as active as we would like. Hopefully we're getting some of those problems under control and will be able to get out there more often!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 05:42 PM   #6

We used to camp, now we travel. Memories of kids camping pretty tough to beat but king size bed in a climate controlled class A is not a bad way to go. The journey and exploring destinations still fills some sort of need that I think most members here have.
wjohnson913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 05:53 PM   #7

What you describe is true with anything even our S&B house. Our first house we met all the neighbors and even had back yard parties for the neighbors. By the time we got our 4th house, we barely knew the next door neighbors and that was just casually. The same was with our 1st new car that we waxed all the time, the new truck barely gets washed now.
When we started FT, we explored the area and had lot's of campfires. Now the wife watches TV and I play on the lap top. The cycle of life!
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 06:10 PM   #8

Yup, getting old is not fair. I hope you both can get back on the road and keep it between the ditches.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 06:57 PM   #9

Joe (and Annette)-

I detect a wish for something simpler: "Hey, we've got a week between appointments- let's go to that lake campground up north, eat simple food and watch the moon rise."

Seems to me that a modest truck and Scamp (trailer or fifth wheel, take your pick) could meet that wish.

Would be nice if a younger couple in your church could share some of that simple life with you.

Just some ideas. Could be way off; I'm not a shrink, just an older guy trying to connect people with life.
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 07:34 PM   #10

We would love to live more of the RV life, but the real world is getting in our way.

My wife's had 4 operations in the last year, and rehab on major shoulder surgery is tough.

School just started, and I'm the private driver for our 8 year old granddaughter that we're raising--permanently.

Nothing would thrill me more than gassing the old SuperDuty truck up and hitting the road, but we're destined to be happy just spending weekends in our member owned campground in the Blue Ridge Mountains of NE Georgia. I just wish it wasn't such a tough 300 mile drive to get to our fifth wheel.

In the meantime, Joe, you have a number of great campgrounds within 2 hrs. of Columbus, including J.P. Coleman and Pickwick Landing state parks. I hope you're too well enough to get out and visit them.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 08:27 PM   #11
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
The last time I was actually "camping" - as in, in a tent, air mattress & sleeping bags - was 20 years ago. 40-degrees, rainy & I was constantly damp. Bought our first TT within the year & never looked back. I'm still excited when we've got a trip planned, even if it's just to a nearby state park for a weekend.

It sounds like you've got a bit of cabin fever due to some health issues preventing you from being out. I hope you get over the hurdles & can get back on the road again.

Here's an idea, if you want to get back to the "sort of" camping experience, find one of those campgrounds that has the glamping tents you can rent. Yes, you're in a tent, but a fancy one at that.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 08:33 PM   #12
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I think that as we evolve, our interests, and physical abilities, change. I camped when I was younger. But that is in the long past and I don't look back on it with any desire to repeat doing it again. We are very happy with the style of RVing we experience these days.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 09:32 PM   #13

We started with tents, then a camper shell on a truck, then to a class A. Different periods of life came with upgrades. I miss the primitive camping at times. But it sure is nice sleeping in a comfortable bed, turning on the heat or a/c, or being able to heat something up in the microwave real quick.
Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 09:45 PM   #14

After 9 years fulltiming Mom and I have decided to set a spell. A couple of years to leisurely repair and refit and to grow this thing called a "garden." On that note, I met our kitchen-sink-size alligator today. Nice little guy.

We've seen most every COE in the southeast and truth be told, they're the same. Extremely nice CGs, but nothing new to see or experience. We've had sea spray over the front wheels; parked by the river isn't so exciting.

Tags
camping