Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-10-2015, 05:34 AM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I really need your advice!!!

I need to change out my tires on my TT. I have been researching ST tires and from what I can tell, there is nothing out there that experienced RV'ers will agree has any level of quality and reliability. The one that seems to be preferred is Maxxis. I live in eastern Canada, near the Maine border. There is not only no Maxxis supplier near here, but there is non in Maine as well.
I have been talking to a fellow I know, who has been in the tire industry for 30 years and who is an RV'er himself. He has been using a load range E light truck tire for several years and on three different fifth wheels. He claims that this is the answer to getting quality tires that will last. He is adamant that if using the load range E tires, you have a as stiff a sidewall as an ST tire.
Looking for your feelings on this.

I PLAN TO LIVE FOREVER. IT'S WORKING SO FAR.
Akibase is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2015, 06:15 AM   #2

My supplier for Maxxis tires is Amazon. I checked the manufacture date on the ones I received and they were only a few weeks old.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 06:24 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
There's a lot of info on TT tires on the 5th wheel forums....just finished reading though one.....In your case I wouldn't hesitate to use Amazon to get your new tires......We are doing a tire change this year and its likely going to be Maxxis
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 06:35 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

You certainly can use LT tires instead of ST on a trailer - just make sure the load carrying capacity is at least as great as the ST tires. LT's will have a higher speed rating than most equivalent STs, which makes them last much better in highway driving, plus they are generally built to higher quality standards.

Everybody I know who has chosen Maxxis ST tires has been very pleased.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 06:47 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Two things about TT tires. I believe I'm correct in that Goodyear makes the Maxxis tires. I'm not sure where they are made but at least there is a U.S. company behind them.

Load ranges!!!! You didn't list your tire and rim size. It makes a big difference in what load range you can buy. Here's what happened to us.

When we had a TT the unit came with 14" rims. What that meant is simply this. I don't remember the load range that came with the unit but I did discover that because of the 14" rim we were limited as to the load range. We could only get one other slightly higher load range. No tire company makes any higher load range tires for the 14" rims. With that higher load range we were just barely over the maximum we could carry with the 3,000 LB axles. What did that mean???

We had two 3-K axles and our TT was rated to carry 7-K pounds. The 4 tires were rated for a total just slightly over 6,000 lbs. To me that made absolutely no sense. The TT was designed to always be on the edge of being overloaded. The wort part was we only could get one load range higher rated tire because of the 14" rims. I think the higher rated tires got us about 400 pounds better load capacity for a total of 6,400. That's still not very safe.

When you mentioned an E load range is that the highest load range your rims will handle??? If it's not then go to a higher load range. Just remember to check your rims and valve stems to see if they will handle the higher tire pressures.

TeJay
Old 02-10-2015, 07:13 AM   #6

Mid Atlantic Campers
I've well over 10k miles on Firestone LT load range E tires on our Montana with no problems at all. IMHO LTs are definitely built to a higher standard and have more reserve capacity than STs. Wouldn't go back to them for anything but a utility trailer.
Old 02-10-2015, 08:37 AM   #7

If you have 16" rims, you can use LT tires if you want. LR E is a good thing regardless of size.

I've never heard Goodyear associated with Maxxis before. I don't think so. The Maxxis ST tires I had were made in Thailand.
timetogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 01:42 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
I put Michelin XPS Ribs on my triple axle 15,000lb fifth wheel right after I bought it. $ years later, when I sold it, they still looked brand new. Never a problem. They are a semi tire, made for trailers.

BigBlockTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 01:56 PM   #9

Maxxi tires are made in Thailand.
Old 02-10-2015, 02:35 PM   #10

Excel Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Bennett View Post
IMHO LTs are definitely built to a higher standard and have more reserve capacity than STs.
Everything I have read about ST tires, says that there is NO reserve built-in to them at all. LT tires do have a reserve capacity built-in to them. I won't run anything else on my fifth wheel.

When we bought our first fifth wheel, the only tires available at the time, were Maxxis Bravo series tires. They were extremely well-built tires and worked great for us. Our second fifth wheel got Firestone TransForce HT tires. They were also great for the application. Our current fifth wheel has Cooper Discoverer H/T LT tires on it. We only have about 800 miles on them so far, but I like them.
EMD_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 05:25 PM   #11

Check load ratings for rims as they may not be as good as the tires you put on
Old 02-10-2015, 06:00 PM   #12

It cost me a few hundred dollars more for lt tires and 16" rims they had a rebate at the time i bought them. They were tight to put on but i am glad i did.
Will make my third trip form Mi to CA this fall.
gap23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 06:43 AM   #13

If you change to a tire with higher inflation pressure, be sure to verify the rim pressure capacity. This should be stamped on the rim.

Years ago, I put high pressure tires on Dexter trailer rims (the kind that bolt to the brake drum) and the additional pressure actually split one of the steel rims. A call to Dexter verified that I had seriously exceeded the rim pressure. This was in the late 70's so my memory may be flawed, but I think the Michelin tire was 125psi and the rim was rated at 75 psi.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 08:16 AM   #14

Now days, most trailer rims have a load rating in pounds instead of a PSI stamp.
timetogo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice