Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2015, 06:12 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
I Smell a Scam

So, I advertised on a well-known site (not craigslist) and here's the last response I got. I did correspond with this individual and kinda realized after the second email that I thought it might be a scam. It's kinda long.

Thanks for your email correspondence. I have reviewed the ads & pics & Info, and I am ready to make a purchase. I would like to confirm the very last $ you asking?

However, i have just discussed with my financier. An earnest payment (around $2000) will be made out to you which includes basically a commitment and affordable non-refundable fee should i fail to meet up with the purchase, however, it is refundable if the proceedings is halted by you, for example if you change your mind about selling. This same funds includes fee for the mechanic/engineer who will inspect and deliver it to my location. After the deduction of the inspection service fee, whatever remains will be recorded as part of the total payment for the vehicle. Full payment(balance) will be arranged and made to you within 48hrs after a proper inspection has been carried out. Of course there after i would find a time off my daily tight schedules to personally check what we are picking up.

To make this clearer, after the inspection has been performed at your location or any other location of your choice, the inspection agents can find a good hotel to stay (at their own expense) pending the 48hrs time frame we would make the full payment and complete the transaction.

Kindly take the ads off market or better still reserve the purchasing right for me because I am ready to secure the purchase and I won't be happy if disappointed. I have an impending business trip to Brazil, hopefully we can finish this up before I leave.

Do forward the Name and Mailing Address to give to my financier so he can cut out a check and send to you. Upon the receipt of the certified check, we shall proceed to the inspection schedule.

Thank you and looking forward to finishing this up.
Bangorbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2015, 06:21 PM   #2
Community Administrator

That's what a lot of us have seen. No response is the best response.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 06:23 PM   #3

Scam. I get these a lot for various Craigslist items I have sold. Tell them cash only, principals only, and you will never hear from them again.

Matt B
Old 09-10-2015, 06:25 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Better yet, don't reply AT ALL.
Old 09-10-2015, 06:33 PM   #5

Sorry, guys, but I'd make a run at getting some money back into our USA.

Tell the guy, "Sure, send the $2000", then deposit the check. After that, stall messages for days until the 10 days is up.

Confirm with your bank that the $2000 is firmly into your account, no recourse. If you can do that, go to the seller and make your terms. Now he's in the game expecting a good payout. You know better.

Don't spend that $2000 too quickly, since it's possible for a bank to come back to you even after they've told you, "no problem".

However, what if you win?
Old 09-10-2015, 06:35 PM   #6
Community Administrator

I've got a bridge for sale if you think that $2000 will be good funds.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 06:37 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Rose's smell like ......rose's, and fish stinks like .......fish! and most know the difference.......I agree with Sarah above........silence is your best defense.
Old 09-10-2015, 06:38 PM   #8

A good sting can include investing a small amount in hopes of scoring a much larger payday. Don't totally discount that concept when dealing with others that may be setting the trap.
Old 09-10-2015, 08:06 PM   #9

The scam typically plays out that they need you to send $$ for there inspectors to come out or some other lame reason. Then you will get all of your money - Ha Ha.
Also be careful if they state that PayPal is the payment method. They send very authentic PayPal messages saying the cash is in your account - but can not get access to it until you send a check for some blah blah reason. Same scams used on boats/planes and other high ticket items. It's a numbers game - only takes a small percentage of idiots that send them money for them to make a good living.
tkilpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 08:47 PM   #10

Or it'll be a bogus check -- often drawn on a real company that they have seen a check from. It can be good enough to go through if you use photo deposit, etc.

I can guarantee the money won't be real other than the postage used to send it.

Steve
Old 09-10-2015, 08:52 PM   #11

I usually ask them for an address and phone number. I tell them that my brother works for homeland security or some such office and I just want to be safe.
You will never here from them again lol
doorfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 08:54 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I get offers for "jobs" like that. They'll send me a check, I'm supposed to cash it and buy an item or a few that I get to keep, then I'm supposed to send the remaining $$ back to them.
Yep, you bet I'm going to do that!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 11:07 PM   #13

I always say I'm a CIA agent working internet fraud cases, and we have tracked their location and are sending agents to their address. I see the same response everytime I post anything on Craigslist, you'd think they'd come up with something new...
89sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 02:28 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I just delete them. And yes it is a scam.

Tags
smell