Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2011, 09:16 AM   #1

I think I have a winner !!!!!

That is, for the worst overall quality of any travel trailer ever produced. This trailer has soured me on the whole RV'ing lifestyle.

I purchased my trailer NEW in Nov. of '09 & have been bombarded with quality (???) issues since day one. In addition to defects too numerous to detail here, my #1 issue has been with water leaks. If you can imagine it, "yes" my trailer has leaked there. My dealer has worked with me, solving most, but not all, of my problems.

Now, less than 2 years after taking ownership - please note, trailer came with a 1 year warrantee - I've discovered another leak. This time, into the cabinets above the bed in the front bedroom. After climbing a ladder to inspect my roof I was dismayed to find an area of about 3 sq. ft. that is soft to the touch. The rubber roof itself is intact. The leak is coming from the area that separates the roof from the front wall aluminum siding due to what I suspect was another example of poor quality assembly & quality control at the factory. (poor sealant application)

I will call my dealer 1st thing after this Labor Day weekend to discuss my options with them.

Am I screwed?
jodann is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2011, 10:02 AM   #2

you should be fine you have a laundry list of problems from before the warranty ran out, so they should fix it , if not ck the manufacturer of the trailer or see if there is a forum on your make and model to see if it a common problem. you may have grounds under a lemon law type situation i don't know for sure but it would be worth a shot, you shouldn't pay good money for junk.
good luck
pwf16129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 10:24 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Probably, since your warranty has expired but some mfgrs will still help you if you can prove the construction was defective. Ask your dealer for key phone numbers to the big guys to put you in touch with someone that can help. I have known some mfgrs to replace units at no charge long after the warranty expired.

Years ago I bought a used 5th wheel with no warranty only to find out these models had framing problems. My dealer didn't want to deal with it but I got in contact with the right person and before I knew it my frame was re-inforced. A very good job. No cost to me.

So it is worth a shot. Have all your info ready when you call. Don't threaten them with lawyers while you talk. Usually that will end the conversation. Just make an appeal to them. In some cases they will ask yu to bring it to the factory for a complete checkout.

Good luck.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 10:41 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
You didn't tell us what brand or model of RV tt. Your right...Water leaks are going to be a death sentence for any RV....From here on in you will have to keep an even higher level of inspection for any problems that might creep up. I'll inspect my roof ever chance I get. I'll also pay attention to all caulked areas....
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 11:06 AM   #5

You know, as the original poster & unfortunate owner of this abomination of a travel trailer my #1 outcome would be that it will be repaired, & hopefully not at a great expense to me. Then I'd just hope to be able to rid myself of it (losing, I am sure, a large sum of $$$$) & move on to something less painful, like perhaps having root canal without anesthesia.
Old 09-04-2011, 11:15 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would think you would be fine. You have a record of repairs that have been made (?) and that's good backup. Hope he's a reputable dealer as it sounds like he has been and gets you fixed up. Nothing worse then spending the money you spend on these things only to have these type of quality problems. Wishing you all the best and hoping everything is taken care of. Good Luck!
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 05:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
You didn't tell us what brand or model of RV tt. Your right...Water leaks are going to be a death sentence for any RV....From here on in you will have to keep an even higher level of inspection for any problems that might creep up. I'll inspect my roof ever chance I get. I'll also pay attention to all caulked areas....

That would help a lot of other Rvers. Knowing what model you have would alert others to not buy it.... I wish people would add their rigs info. on their signature..... and their location on their profile....
Billieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 11:02 AM   #8

We had problems with bad water leaks on a 5 year TC. The paneling above the front window started to buckle. We took it to the dealer to be repaired and the technician told us he had been repairing RVs for 30 years and has never seen this much damage to this new of a RV ever. It was a small slow leak and all the wood was dry rotted in the cab over. In his opinion it had been leaking since it was made. We called the manufacturer and they told us it was out of warranty and they would not help us. I still had the original sales brochure that explained how all seams were double sealed to prevent leaks. They told me sorry but we cant help. I told them that I had pictures of how bad the damage was and after I pay to get it fixed when we go camping I would post these pictures so all the others could see there workmanship. I also told them I would paint it bright yellow and put _ _ _ _ _ lemon on its side for all to see in our travels. After going through all that they decided to repair it at there cost minus dealer prep to ship it back. After 3 months it was returned to us fixed how ever they found more bad places and fixed them also. Some times you have to fight fire with fire hope this helps.
Mody n Domy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 11:50 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billieg View Post
That would help a lot of other Rvers. Knowing what model you have would alert others to not buy it.... I wish people would add their rigs info. on their signature..... and their location on their profile....

I don't believe that it would be in my best interests to reveal the brand of RV I have at the moment. I am hoping against hope that I will be able to come to some sort of an equitable solution with the manufacturer & to bad-mouth them (one never knows, perhaps a customer service rep. is lurking here) would not help my cause.

And, as far as my location, I'll give you a small hint. For the past 7 years I've been living in the state where the TV series 'Jersey Shore' is filmed. Yes, I know, we all make mistakes. Jodann
Old 09-05-2011, 03:47 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A word or two on warranties:

There is a federal guideline called the Uniform Commercial Code. It, is powerless however:
Many states have based their consumer protection laws on it.

Now. depending on the state of purchase, and the details of the sales contract and if the trailer was new or used (you said new) You may, in the words of the expressed factory warranty "Have other rights which vary from state to state"

You need to learn what those rights are in your state.. I recommend professional help for that (A UCC attorney) sorry I can not help you beyond what I have just typed.