Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-10-2005, 07:10 PM   #1
....LIKE: gas stations use for jumping dead batteries...anyone gotr any leeds?....geof kaye
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2005, 07:10 PM   #2
....LIKE: gas stations use for jumping dead batteries...anyone gotr any leeds?....geof kaye
Old 02-10-2005, 11:25 PM   #3
Hi Geof,

Man-o-Man .. you have me stumped there...

I have never heard of a 12 volt "generator"..
I'm not saying there is no such thing, only that I've never seen or heard of one..

Most gas stations that I use have a "jumper" battery on hand.. you can buy one of those from places like Wal-Mart..

I'll keep looking here for anyone who may know if there is such a thing,, you've got me curious..

John Harrelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 01:45 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
I have seen and I am sure someone can put up the link of the drawings on how to build your own. It was a small single cylinder engine; belt driving an automotive altenator. Made a heck of a good battery charger! If I can find the info I will try to get it to you asap.
Mike, RVIA & RVSA Certified Master RV Technician
Amy, Dr. Assistant - Roxie & Mei Ling, four legs each
2000 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser 450 hp & 1330# torque
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 03:30 AM   #5
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
IMHO, a 12 volt generator with sufficient power for use in jump starting vehicles with dead batteries would be a very, very heavy duty generator.

It'd need to be capable of supplying 100 - 200 amps of DC power.

A more practical application might be to have a small 12 volt generator that would keep a spare battery charged, storing the generated current for later use in jump starting.

Of course, if you were going that route you could just carry a spare charged battery, jumping from it when needed. Then it could be recharged with a battery charger or the cars charging system afterwords.
'11 GMC Acadia SLT AWD
'11 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Extended Cab
Hitchhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 03:45 AM   #6
If your intention is to actually use the generator to start a vehicle, then (as previoulsy mentioned) you would need a generator that could supply huge amounts of power for short periods of time. It would be much easier to have a small 12 volt generator attached to a portable battery and use the battery to start the engine. If your intention is just to use a 12 volt generator to charge the battery in your RV, many of the small portable generators on the market (like the Honda EU series) have a 12 volt output that will do that.

I wanted to add a side comment about using a generator to start an engine. On a twin engine aircraft, the 1st engine is started from the battery. The pilot then usually waits about 1/2 minute or so for the running alternator to bring the battery back up before (s)he starts the 2nd engine because the alternator does not provide enough power to run the starter on the 2nd engine, and these are pretty big alternators.
2014 Winnebago Adventurer 32H
2011 Honda Fit Toad
Ken Lenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 06:28 AM   #7
Jayco Owners Club

Ask your local towing service where the nearest "towing/recovery" grave yard is. They'll have used car starting units.

Surplus Center has an online catalog with generators. www.surpluscenter.com

If you build your own generator with a lawn mower engine be sure to get the alternator with the built in regulator. Ask your local alternator rebulding shop which one to get.
2016 Jayco White Hawk 27dsrl
2015 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 diesel 4x4
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 07:04 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Many gas generators have direct 12VDC output, e.g. most Hondas and Colemans. As noted above, if you want to start a vehicle direct from such as genset, you will need a humongous one to produce enough DC to do it. For example, the Honda 1000W genset puts out only 8 amps of DC. BUt if you merely want 12V power for lights or DC appliances, many brands of genset can do that for you.

If you just want a 12 volt, gas operated power supply, you can also hook an RV-style 12V converter to an AC genset. 12V Converters are available on eBay in a variety of sizes from 30-90 DC amps.

If you need to direct-start a vehicle with this genset, you could buy a 120VAV powered 100 amp car starter for around $250-300 and power it off a small gas generator, probably a 15oo watt AC generator. Or if the thing you start already has a battery, even a mostly dead one, a smaller 50-60A model would probably do the job for around $70 plus the cost of the AC genset.
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 08:50 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I've seen 3 versions over the years.

Kohler used to make a car starter unit, which was basically a 3,000 watt genset with a 300 amp DC output for jump starting vehicles. I still have one of those in a service truck that we built. Allas, they make them no more.

Marquette used to make the "cheaper" version than the Kohler. This was a Kohler 8 HP engine driving two large automotive generators (yes, DC generators, not alternators) via a twin belt drive system. Then they stuck the thing under a large sheet metal box and every garage in town had one. But, that was back in the 70's and they too no longer exist.

Multiquip made a nice car starter unit in the early 90s but it too was dropped for lack of interest.

It's going to be tough to find one but if you check at automotive supply houses that service dealers you may find one in their catalog. I have a feeling it'll be pricey though. If you aren't looking for big amps for boosting I'd consider a regular AC generator set and then just get a good battery booster/charger from an automotive supply house. Some of those can put out a fair amount of amps but you'll have to look in their catalog because the ones on the floor are generally lower priced and lower amps.
Mark & Leann Quasius
2016 Cornerstone 45A
2007 Allegro Bus 42QRP (Sold)
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 09:03 PM   #10
.....What I am working on is a back up starter/generator unite for my tractor-should for some reason some batteries die and I need to get the N-14 started....if I use the 120-240 vac Onan generator starting battery I might loose that also-then I'm screwed big time....if I use a small gas generator-it can charge batteries-power the trailer on the 12 volt side etc-keep warm etc....I have always had a two option redundant system when on the road and I think this is the way to go....building a alternator and engine would work as I have a 200 amp GMC unite out of the old snow plow truck and could hook it up to a small engine for a back up....geof kaye
Old 02-12-2005, 02:11 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Geof,It sounds like you have a great lack of something to do!
You need to go camping! Then you won't have to worry about whether the tractor will start or not!
Brilliant minds conceive a lot of great things in the dead of winter.
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 37WDS
2003 Honda Goldwing Trike
CyberVet65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 06:52 PM   #12
Re:12 volt generator. I had an Airstream (1976)travel trailer at on time and the book indicated that the standard genator was a 12 volt that actually put out 15 volts. You might check this out and might find one. I may have been a propane powered engine instead of gas. good luck tinker
tinkercb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 07:36 PM   #13
......and tell me, how you knew?....geof kaye