Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 12-09-2015, 03:31 PM   #15
I guarantee that you'll pack way too much rather than forgetting things. Keep a list of what you need to return to the house!

It's very easy to pack too many clothes, shoes, sheets, towels. You'll find you'll be using all your favorites. You can even wear the same thing the next day....no one will even notice.

Full-timed for 16 Years
. . . Back in S&B Again
Traveled in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Diesel
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2015, 03:48 PM   #16
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Make several sets of extra keys. Hide a set OUTSIDE the rig.
Use checklists. Even if you do something a lot, when the normal sequence changes, you can forget a step. Lost a lynch pin in my tow bar because I "Think" if flipped the retainer the wrong way...and did not double check it.

Use the breaker on the power pedestal to apply and remove power when hooking up.
Get a good tire gauge and a TPMS

Remember your "Tail Swing" and your height.

Many good suggestion on this thread...I learned a few good one.

2014 40QBH Phaeton DP Cummins 380HP ISL, Freightliner XC, 2014 Jeep Trailhawk TOAD
Blue Ox Aventa tow bar, SMI Air Force One -South Orange County Ca.
dpinvidic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 04:04 PM   #17
Originally Posted by brian-nicola View Post
Darling Wife!
Sometimes that's up for debate.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 04:45 PM   #18
x2 on checklists - whatever you do when you set up - make sure you undo before you leave. Checklists have saved us more than once - we went from a tent to a class A. We learned a LOT from reading threads on this site. Most of the advice is really sound and based on experience (aka screw-ups) - we also agree with the posts that say - slow down - take your time - then recheck your lists.
2014 Coachmen Mirada 29DSSE - EEZRV TPMS
ACME Tow Dolly - 2016 Buick LaCrosse
AZCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 05:12 PM   #19
Whenever you stop do a walk-around inspection of your RV and toad before you start out again. Don't ever assume that everything's all right. I started out one morning after spending the night in a rest area. I did my walk-around before I started out and everything appeared fine. Just 35 miles down the road I pulled into the next rest area to take care of a coffee induced "nature break". When I did my walk-around before taking off I found that during the past 35 miles a tow dolly bearing had collapsed . Fortunately, since I always do a walk-around I caught it before I lost the wheel entirely. Now I carry an infrared point n' shoot thermometer and check my axle bearing temperatures with it when I stop. Before my next years adventure I'm adding more tire pressure/temperature monitors to the ones I already have on my RV.

Geocritter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 05:19 PM   #20
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Originally Posted by Geocritter View Post
Now I carry an infrared point n' shoot thermometer and check my axle bearing temperatures with it when I stop.
WOW..what a great idea...and a simple solution....

2014 40QBH Phaeton DP Cummins 380HP ISL, Freightliner XC, 2014 Jeep Trailhawk TOAD
Blue Ox Aventa tow bar, SMI Air Force One -South Orange County Ca.
dpinvidic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 05:27 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
When I first got my RV two of my local friends gave me list of things to get and I did. Many of the items don't get used or I have come across better solutions than suggested. So I would suggest don't buy everything everyone suggests just get the essentials and build on it. Let your traveling style dictate what you need - that is things will be slightly different if you are a weekender, month long travels and full time. Eventually you'll want to get backups for your essentials such as hoses, cords, etc. and you will want to build up a set of tools and handman items (duct tape, 3in1 oil, superglue, etc). Like many have suggested your best friend will be the pencil and paper, you will use it to list missing items, make future plans and you can use it to form your rough check list that later you clean up and laminate. Most of all bring your patience because you are going to need it because you are not just traveling you are going on an adventure.
Bob and Cathy
2015 Itasca Sunova 33c towing a 2008 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Member FMCA F421963, GS Life, SKP#127220, WIT, PA,
Robmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 06:41 PM   #22
Fleetwood Owners Club
And MOST important don't forget your favorite Happy Hour Beverage.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 06:49 PM   #23
Learn to laugh at mistakes and yourself! And realize that the most memorable camping trips aren't the one where everything go right. Enjoy the experience!
2015 Entegra Aspire RBQ
Wagon: 2015 Chevy Z71 Crew Cab 4x4
Blue Ox Avail, Air Force One
dave&ginny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 07:46 PM   #24
"Pay serious attention when dumping the tanks"

Unfortunately I know how that story ends.
CWJK55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 01:15 AM   #25
Most people are going to give you advice on what you need or don't for the coach, my suggestion is to remember that as you travel if you miss a turn or exit keep calm there will be another down the road. My copilot gets frustrated if we miss a turn or if I change our preplanned route.

Finding that place to pull over to get a burger or be able to get gas can be nerve racking, again just whistle while you work be happy stay calm and all will be well.
Jerry & CP (copilot) Joyce RVM 109
2000 Coachmen Mirada 340 MBS
Chasing the Rainbow
pop-sicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 03:40 AM   #26
It takes us about a year after switching rv's to get everything you need situated. After our last switch, and on our first day of a week of boondocking, I couldn't understand why my toothbrush wasn't transferred.
The conversation went down from there.
If you don't want to get shot by the police, don't be a criminal!
Winnebago adventurer 37g, 96 tracker
Arizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 05:24 AM   #27
I wish someone told me what a POS chassis the P30 was before I purchased it.
1998 36ft Country Coach Magna #5499
Gillig chassis with a Detroit series 40
2002 F250 CC 7.3 PSD
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 05:53 AM   #28

You guys are making me feel better - relax, use the checklist, expect things will not go as planned, don't assume your bride is in the back of the coach and leave her standing in the gas station as you pull out from a fuel stop (my dad did that one), take in all the adventure - I think I'm catching on....

It also sounds like there must be some great stories behind all this wisdom!

Mike & K. (Both retired USAF)
2013 Jayco Embark "HaRVey"
Freightliner M2, Cummins ISC
Miller205 is offline   Reply With Quote