Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-10-2015, 05:57 AM   #29

Fleetwood Owners Club
Always remember,
If your in a campground,and have a problem that you can't solve ,or forgot something really important,don't be shy,ask a neighbor for help.Most,if not all rvers will give the shirt off their backs to help,the guys anyway, gals,not so much.and also as stated already,do walkaround before leaving site,but look up, right before entering your coach,look up,look up,look up....make sure your awning is in,I drove 500ft thru campground before DW noticed,that was a close one,still cost me a nice dinner out,but well worth it!!!

Rapid Rick
2013 Fleetwood Terra 35K
rapid rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2015, 06:11 AM   #30

Several people have noted having check lists.

What we did for a departure check list was make up laminated cards for about 12-15 key things such as Awing (see above), Jacks, Shore Power, Sewer Line, Water Line, Satellite Dish, etc.

At some point during departure prep. I'll pull the cards out and run through them. For the things that are not yet done, I leave those cars on the dash so they are in plain site and that way we ensure ourselves that we don't miss any of the key tasks before we pull out. I actually need to make up a couple more, such as "Toad breakaway switch turned on".......
Betr2Trvl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 06:12 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian-nicola View Post
Darling Wife!
Thank you for clearing that up!
Skip3370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 06:13 AM   #32

I have a separate "camping" toolbox, with the basic wrenches, sockets, screwdrivers, and pliers, as well as other odds and ends needed for patchwork repairs while on the road.

In addition, I have certain wrenches, or screwdrivers kept in areas where they are used for every stop. Such as a socket and driver with the tripod satellite kit.

It has taken us years to stockpile certain things, but everything we need for a trip (minus the food, of course) stays in the RV. The only time it comes out is when I need to clean it up, then it goes right back where it belongs. If on the way home from work I decide it's time to head to lake, we can be back on the road with everything we need before the automatic headlights shut off on the truck.

Another plus to keeping a journal, if you record the site# of where you stayed and make some comments, you can avoid making reservations at a campground, or specific site you found annoying a few years later.

We hung a dry-erase board by the door and use it to write down what needs to be re-stocked. If we're headed out to the store, we'll take a picture of it with our phone.
jrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 11:57 AM   #33

Wow, what a great list of things to do and not to do. I wish I'd had something like this when we started RVing. It seems like we all seem to share many of the same experiences, both good and bad. Reading through this thread has been like a trip through the past for me.

One other thing that hasn't been mentioned is to pay attention to the guy next door when dumping just in case he has a spill and cleans it up in your direction. It's in the memory ball park of when you run out of diesel and the wind blows it all over you when pouring it in from one of the new fangled vent equipped containers. Both require putting clothing in a plastic bag and a shower ASAP.

Now I have another use for the point and shoot thermometer that is seldom used, thanks. I've always felt them, but this will be better.

I would eco keeping everything in the RV that is needed for a trip except perishables. And if something is taken out return it ASAP or you will most likely soon have two.

Check and double check all towing connections, tires, and under the vehicle for leaks or something loose before starting and every time you stop. This will become a habit, and a good one at that. Make sure before starting that the toad steering is unlocked. I sometimes stop soon after leaving home to check everything again just to make sure I didn't miss anything. Last Summer I drug the poor Tracker 30+ miles with the steering locked before stopping at a Wal-Mart for groceries where I checked everything to determine why the RV wasn't tracking the way it should.

Again, IMHO, this is a great list. I would suspect that in years to come you will appreciate it even more.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 12:14 PM   #34

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
In addition to some of the things mentioned above...

1. Even though they mean well, don't trust the RV park staff to direct you into a space. On too many occasions, they miss important "little things," like huge tree branches overhead. Be friendly, but not completely dependent on them.

2. Get out of your RV and walk the RV campsite before you enter an RV site. I have found sharp 3" screws on the pad before, and I often see hazards that I might have otherwise not seen from the driver's seat.

3. Do as much maintenance and repairs as you are comfortable with; don't just hire it all out. It saves money and TEACHES you about your RV systems. I'm not a mechanic, but I do as much as I can. I learn something with every repair.
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 05:11 PM   #35

All of this is right on! My RV has something ga was talking about. My dump cover has a place to hook up a water hose, maybe the male end. I am not sure what I am supposed to do with this??
glennj3cub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 05:13 PM   #36

Already said, always do a walk around before leaving any place, looking under above and around, Check those tires. Put that antenna down, just don't get in to big of a hurry.
Carry some basic tools.
Carry anything you could need for your home and anything you could need for you truck!
glennj3cub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 10:12 PM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippinhead View Post
Just what does "DW" mean?
DW...."She who must be obeyed"
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 06:17 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamfolger View Post
DW...."She who must be obeyed"
Did your DW give you permission to post this?
Skip3370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 06:54 AM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
Just as the suggestion of not fully trusting park staff...

Do not let 'friendly neighbor help' interrupt your routine when setting up or breaking camp.

Heck, the DW and I go behind each other to check our work when breaking camp !
when getting to camp, not so crucial, but when hitting the road, it's imperative to make sure the res fridge is locked, the antenna is down, the jacks are up, all cabinet/compartment doors are closed... etc...

While offers of help are nice... it WILL make you miss something !

Had a friend of a friend actually stick his head into the wet bay with me one time and I'm like "Thanks, but no thanks"
Old 12-13-2015, 07:24 AM   #40

Your gun , electric drill , air hose , assortment of fuses , good flashlight , spare hose , assortment of tools.........are just a few
RIDER FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 11:28 AM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
I wish someone would have told me that I would end up wanting to sell the business, the house, everything I've worked for in the last 40 years, and just travel.
Never being quite happy with where I'm at, always wondering, "what's next!"
TMan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 07:48 PM   #42

there is a very good rv list on here somewhere download it and use it
rbpower is offline   Reply With Quote