Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2016, 04:47 AM   #1

I would like to determine by viewing height of a overhead

I expect to drive under. Say for instance when pulling in for fuel.

I have thought about making a 12 foot pole (pvc), have some one hold it in front of mh and I would mark a spot on my windshield where the top of the pole is.

lets say the pole was out about 6 feet in front of my mh, then when I pulled up to an overhang, I would stop six feet away and look and see if the mark was lower than the overhang.

Is this ridiculous or what.

Perhaps I would get used to the height but until I do, I would like something like that. I understand AC's are not cheap!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2016, 05:37 AM   #2

I personally own a 11'10" MH , which is probably one of the very
shortest profiles out there have no problem just being able to tell. I will eyeball a station before pulling into, say yea nor nay to that one and either move on down the road or pull in knowing is ok. Now it might be
much different for lots of MH's are 12'10" in height and have to be a bit more careful with choosing where might fit under and so forth. It is just
a knack you get for the feel of it,,,,,most places are above this level, some maybe not. Yes, it would be bad to scalp an air-conditioner off the roof for sure,,,but I think you will be comfortable with the height of your coach and be able to make the decisions by eyesight or a bit of help from spotter at times.
Kind of a neat idea,,,go for it,,,,but soon you will not need this and will
be comfortable with your instincts..JMHO

Good Luck !!

wolfcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 05:39 AM   #3

How about get a level, hang it over the side and measure from the level down and then from the roof up to the tops of ac's.
Old 08-13-2016, 05:46 AM   #4

iRV2 No Limits Club
Actually the sight pole is not a bad idea. Think I will try it myself. I'd did make a folding aluminum "stick" that I could clamp in the window of a previous MH. It was on a swivel and the bottom hung below the swivel point. I just rolled the window down a bit and when I rolled it up the "stick" was taller than the highest roof item. It swiveled and the bottom was below the swivel point so that if the stick contacted something the bottom would move. Unfortunately it did not help on the basic roof height, but I think your idea might.
Old 08-13-2016, 05:53 AM   #5

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If clearance is tight, your eyes aren't sufficient to evaluate it (plus, they won't account for irregularities in the ground approaching and leaving the overhang). If clearances aren't tight, you'll quickly develop the skill to know whether or not you can fit.

It helps to avoid older gas stations; modern canopies are way up there.

I'd be more concerned about horizontal clearances- around pumps islands, cars, fences and buildings, for instance.

Now, if you're talking about clearance under trees, that's a different matter... ;-)
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 05:57 AM   #6
paz

The GiraffeG4 mounts to the mirror or in the windshield of a motorhome or to the mirror or roof of a truck towing a 5th wheel. It senses the height of overhead obstacles. Unfortunately, it does not work on the fly. You have to slow down and pull the front of the vehicle under the obstacle far enough for the sensor to see it for it to work. It works well for gas station canopies when you're already going slow, but you would have to almost stop if driving down a road.

I got one for our 5th wheel because it has a height of 13'-6" which is the usual max height for interstates. So far, I have not encountered anything below that height.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 11:41 AM   #7

thanks to all
Old 08-13-2016, 01:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by olustee bus View Post
I expect to drive under. Say for instance when pulling in for fuel.

I have thought about making a 12 foot pole (pvc), have some one hold it in front of mh and I would mark a spot on my windshield where the top of the pole is.

lets say the pole was out about 6 feet in front of my mh, then when I pulled up to an overhang, I would stop six feet away and look and see if the mark was lower than the overhang.

Is this ridiculous or what.

Perhaps I would get used to the height but until I do, I would like something like that. I understand AC's are not cheap!
I like your idea to determine height. That is also one of the uses of a good spouse. I think one of the early astronauts did something like that when the computers failed. He placed a mark on the window and used it to determine the correct reentry angle. I might try it.
Old 08-14-2016, 09:34 PM   #9

You could mount your dash cam at the highest point on your coach, looking straight ahead. Put a dot on your screen to tell you the center point of the view. As others have said, it's mostly useful at slow speeds.

Tom
TLGPE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 05:55 AM   #10
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLGPE View Post
You could mount your dash cam at the highest point on your coach, looking straight ahead. Put a dot on your screen to tell you the center point of the view. As others have said, it's mostly useful at slow speeds.

Tom
I thought about doing this a while back, but if the approach to the underpass or overhead obstacle isn't perfectly level the camera won't be aimed correctly. If the approach is slightly down hill, the obstacle will appear higher than it really is, and vice versa.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 06:50 AM   #11
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Most modern stations are much higher than most RV's, but I think you will be able to tell. If in doubt, DON'T!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 12:10 PM   #12

We have not done this, but saw it posted somewhere (maybe here?). Buy a laser measuring "tape". You can set it down on the ground pointing up at whatever you want to measure above you. Online prices $30-50.

donnandon is offline   Reply With Quote