Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-05-2012, 12:31 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickBrennan View Post
How about a campground with two restaurants with bars, hotel rooms, two pools, a lake, a chip and putt golf course, tennis, spotlessly clean bathrooms, paved roads, located between DisneyWorld and Univeral Studios, steady 50 amp electric, water, sewer, Wifi, cable, phone and golf cart rentals. Now imagine all this at $52 a night with the 7th night free.

Cypress Cove in Kissimmee, FL is like that.

As an added benefit, you don't need to lower your shades/blinds at night!
danandcarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2012, 01:07 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
We are not ones for the perfectly manicured look of a CG, but do appreciate a fairly level, shaded site with enough room for slide extension without interfering with the trees(could care less about sat. reception or cable). FHUs and some grass under foot is nice and it's a plus if one can sit outside during the evening without choking on the dust stirred up by speeding fellow campers - since that will NEVER happen, paved site access roads are always value added. Also, we are not interested in buying the little plot of dirt we're camping on or providing a major boost to the CG owner's 401, so a reasonable price for value is appreciated as well.

A narrow, hilly dirt road to play on with the Jeep is a bonus as would a few animals along the side the road, smiling and waving at us. Pinch me, I think I'm dreaming. Bob

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:08 AM   #17

Trail of Tears State Forest in far southern Illinois is one of my favorites. The road through the camp ground is about 5 miles along the top of a ridge line. They put in camp sites here and there wherever the ridge was wide enough. They are spaced at 1/4 mile intervals or (usually) farther.

Each site has a couple of picnic tables, a fire ring, and a vault toilet. Several of them have three sided shelters (built by the CCC) with large stone fireplaces.

Outdoor Illinois magazine has an article (PDF) at Outdoor Illinois : 2010 Articles. It is the top link on the page. The photo in the shelter is of me an DW.

We often get deer and wild turkey walking by. It would be perfect if only we could move it to the mountains of Montana.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:18 AM   #18

Okay Campground owners and managers.......you now have a list of the things we as RV'ers would like to see; take heed and as you are able to afford, this is a list of improvements that will keep us coming back....... We KNOW that it is expensive to own and operate a CG, that is why we want to help you out..................
Old 05-07-2012, 08:15 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
1. Level sites
2. Lots of shade
3. Level sites
4. Lots of space between campsites
5. Level sites
sadrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:46 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadrand View Post
1. Level sites
2. Lots of shade
3. Level sites
5. Level sites

.........thinking, maybe you prefer level sights................me too!!!!

...another key factor is finding a site where the sewage drain elevation is not uphill
Old 05-07-2012, 11:18 AM   #21

It didn’t take long for me to think of my ideal camp site. To begin with, I want a campground where I can reserve a specific site in advance. One where I can expect to find someone else occupying when I arrive and one that does not have office hours to cover check- ins but rather posts your site number on a bulletin board and no site maps remaining in the map bin. I like to drive around the park a few times dragging my fifth wheel gaining practice on tree avoidance as I maneuver through the dusty pot holed single lane road.

My ideal site will also be so far off level that I get the opportunity to deploy all twelve of my one inch leveling boards on the entry side so the first entry step is mid shin. I want a site with no shade, infested with mosquitoes and horse flies so big that they have ‘N’ numbers. The site must be dirt, just like the dusty entry road and after an afternoon rain, turn into enough mud to host a tractor pull.

I want to attract a crowd as I try to maneuver into the site, dodging the extra cars and two wheel toad trailers abandoned near my site. To be ideal, it must have mid fender high but cleverly hidden obstacles. When after an hour or so of backing and pulling forward, jumping in and out of the truck with the door chime screaming at me to buckle up each time, I want to find out that even though it has full hook ups, you can’t reach all three at once so you choose electric and water, sewer can wait. The 50 amp outlet is melted, so you use your adapter to hook up to 30 amps. One air is better than none.

I want my neighbor so close that his awning provides shade for my refrigerator slide which I cannot open due to a huge boulder and the upslope of my site. I want my neighbor to share his campfire, rather bonfire, with everyone in the park while it scorches the decals off the side of my unit.

I want to hear train whistles just 50 feet from my site along a busy freight line taking coal to the power plant that leaves black soot covering everything if the wind is right. I don’t want to miss out on loud motorcycles leaving the only bar across the highway open till 3:00 A.M.

I want children yelling while playing hard ball in the street in front of me and let’s not forget the barking dogs. As for planned activities, I like to play dodge the golf cart on the way to the recreation center for the pot lucks.

Yep, give me a five star park like this with all the above amenities anytime. Just so the dump station works.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:13 PM   #22

nosticks...............we have seen some of those; there is a "certain" campground near Meridian, Mississippi that is about 2 miles from I-20...........you literally have to drive THROUGH an auto salvage yard across a red clay road in order to get into a campground that is overrun by locals using the swimming pool and other facilities. We stayed only long enough to get about three hours sleep, left and found the first DIY car wash....cleaned up the TT and went on our way.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:40 PM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadrand View Post
1. Level sites
2. Lots of shade
3. Level sites
5. Level sites

Me too
IRVTrekin2 is offline   Reply With Quote