Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-09-2017, 08:37 PM   #1

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Ideas for carrying a kayak and recumbent trike

I am adding a new recumbent trike to my standard equipment and am looking for ideas for how to carry it along with my current 8' long kayak. I now carry the kayak on the top of my Smart Car toad, but I know there are better ways. I full-time and want to take the toys along.

I saw a custom made kayak mount on the back of a MH that held the kayak vertical that was interesting.

As for the trike -- it weighs 66 pounds (has 4" wide off-road tires 2 x 20" on front and a 26" on back) but the seat and back wheel are easily removed making the weight closer to 50 pounds. That is still more than I can lift without help. It will fold in half -- front and back meeting up.

I have been toying with the idea of mounting a hand crank boat winch to the back bumper and a place to run the strap thru towards the top in order to pull them up safely.

All ideas will be appreciated, especially with photos!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2017, 08:41 PM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Here is my current rig, except the basket above the tow bar and it's cargo are gone.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1484019606.680864.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	252.2 KB
ID:	148745
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 01-11-2017, 06:14 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Can't help,with recommendations for the trike, but I would not recommend changing your current kayak carrier. If you mount the kayak on the RV, how will you get it moved around? It is much more flexible to keep it on the car.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 12:35 AM   #4

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I'd like the option of leaving the kayak with the RV and not have to muscle it off the car first. Although it is MUCH easier to find a tiny car amongst so many big ones in parking lots with the red kayak as an arrow pointing the way. And the strap that goes thru the car interior causes rain water to flow into the driver's seat.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 01-12-2017, 06:05 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
You need a large DP! Kayak and bike would fit in the basement storage. But to answer your question, I'm an engineer and I would put the bike on the rear platform and make a removable or folding ramp to wheel it on. I also think a custom vertical kayak mount would work, too.

As far as the strap leaking on your seat- I'm assuming it is there in case the rack mounts fail (don't ask me how I know this happens...), just run lines from the front and back instead of through the interior. If the straps are there to mount the rack, then all bets are off.

If we're going on a short trip without the car, we open a side window emergency exit and pass them through and store the kayaks in the aisle. On our gasser we had, the kayaks fit in through the door.

Walt
photopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 10:17 AM   #6

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks, Walt! The DP is not likely. I've carried the yak inside, but that takes too much muscle for me to do alone and it sure eats up our interior space. On the car I use ratchet straps front and back but it still moves side to side too much without the center strap. If I drive the car with the yak on it there is an annoying hum produced by the wind passing across the strap. The rack is a Yakima and is locked to the edges of the roof.

What I really need is a Star Trek transporter, or smaller toys. Again, not likely.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 01-19-2017, 06:02 PM   #7

I am very interested in what you end up doing as a solution, I am in the process of attempting to start RV'ing myself and also want to bring along my Trident Recumbent Trike as well. I specifically got this model because it is a folder, but even folded, it's not a small or super light package.

I initially was looking for large enough basement storage in a similar unit to the one you have, but could not find one with a large enough door, even with the trike folded, and don't want the hassle of removing the wheels. I rented a similar one to the one you have from Cruise America for a family weekend get together to 'test it out,' but afterwards decided that that style is not for me. Then I looked at and test drove several gas motorhomes and DP's, planning on using the car I already have as a Toad because I made sure the trike fits in the hatchback, but the costs were getting prohibitive, and I would have to use a dolly at a minimum with my 4000 lbs FWD car, which just added too much complexity, since I also will likely be traveling alone.

So lately I've been looking at Toyhaulers, not wanting the fuel station, but the large rear door for access would be ideal for kayaks and trikes. Additionally, if the garage is 10', a smart car fits nicely, as long as the rear door has at least a 2000 lbs rating. But they are usually pretty beat up, and it's hard to find smaller 30' or less sizes that still has an actual bed in the front. So I have decided to go with a truck towing something, because I already stumbled across a great deal on a late model F250. So I'm leaning towards a fifth wheel myself, and recently have been looking at bunk models with cargo doors that may work instead of the toyhauler. But not sure how a kayak would work with them.

Don't know if that will help, but good luck.
GreenMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 06:36 PM   #8

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Hmm, what RV would I have purchased 6 years ago had I known I'd be adding a kayak and a recumbent trike? Interesting that you are more evolved with your toys than I was.

I have purchased an inexpensive boat winch ($20 on eBay) and have had this mounted on the back bumper --

RV Bumper 4" Square Receiver Adapter Hitch Mount Bike Rack Cargo Carrier Repair | eBay

Once I remembered I can't cover the rear lights I scrapped the idea of moving the kayak to the rear of my Moho. There just isn't enough room for the trike, kayak, ladder and tail lights. The kayak will stay on top of the car.

When parked for long stays I'll lock it to the towbar so I don't have to drive around with it. Although it does help me find my tiny car in large parking lots.

The plan for the trike is still to use the winch to pull the trike (minus the seat and rear wheel) up and to set the double front wheels on a 35" wide hitch mounted bumper step inserted into the thing in the above link. I hah yet to decide how to secure the trike, but I'll have 12 days to figure that out after the trike arrives on 1/30.

Have you considered an enclosed or open trailer to carry the car, trike and kayak behind a motorhome? My 25' motorhome has an E-350 HD motor. Will an F-250 be enough power to pull the 5er and your toys?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 01-19-2017, 06:55 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm glad you asked this Barb. My method works, but I would like to figure out a better way.
I carry my kayak the same way you do (but on a small Chevy Aveo5 hatchback) and the straps resonet as well. My standard size bike goes in the back of the car (I removed/discarded the car's rear seat years ago).

P.S. I noticed the wolf in your photo in post #2 - Be careful out there.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 07:02 PM   #10

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Oh yes Tom, that wolf is a real 8 pound monster. She's sound asleep next to me. She does think she's a sled dog. With her harness on she can help me ride the new trike when it comes.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 03-16-2017, 06:07 AM   #11

Search on GOOGLE for "bike racks" I did see several recumbent racks that go on the back. I have a 2 wheel short from recumbent that works with one of them.
CCFROMFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 07:21 AM   #12

I'd recommend a class 2 hitch or roof rack on the smart car. That way you can have the bike with when using RV or car.

We have two catrike (tadpole trikes) that we Cary on the back of our 5th. We park the 5th and then when we want to ride trails a ways away I mount it to the truck.

As far as mounting solutions try
www.bentrideronline.com
Old 03-16-2017, 05:36 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Usually, putting a couple twists in those straps will stop that vibration.

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 08:44 PM   #14

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I thought I would update this thread with a photo of how I am currently carrying the trike. The kayak is carried on top of the car with the trike on a custom made rack. This is still a work in progress as I cannot yet load the trike without help. I have a new plan that I hope will work out. This would be about plan "H", but I've lost count. Thanks for all of the suggestions and please continue to provide input.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1489718662.161527.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	155072
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]