Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-26-2011, 09:38 AM   #57

I wouldn't send the Troops in there. TOO dangerous. Seams like main occupation is Car Jacking.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2011, 10:00 AM   #58

Workhorse Chassis Owner
After reading the above posts, why would anyone want to stay at a place such as this. There has to be more options for staying in St. Louis.

Dieselclacker

Old 12-26-2011, 10:19 AM   #59

There ain't. They have one in the city on the St Louis side. Worse. Have to get out about 35 miles for State park. Their is a nice one RV park in St Charles, just west of St Louis. I dry camp at the Gateway Int raceway when we race,and I'm fully armed, I don't care what the rules are,but that's it here.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:13 AM   #60

We stayed at the Sundermier CG in St Charles. Felt safe among a number of RV'rs. Did not like the noise of the trains and planes, but hey thats the city for you. Drove our truck to downtown, parked in a lot with an attendant, walked the downtown streets around Bush Statdium, walked to the arch, had a great time. The arch is well worth the trip. Went back to the pkg. lot, kayaks and "stuff" still on the truck, tipped the attendant, went back the the CG. ALL IN THE DAYTIME"!! BE SMART= BE SAFE!
Old 12-27-2011, 09:33 AM   #61

I live near @ work all over stl. I've personally never had a problem. I know plenty people who have.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:38 AM   #62

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Folks,
We're getting a little off topic.

RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 02:12 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivinMyHome View Post
I am currently staying in a mobile home community in Peoria AZ, but would like to do a bit of boondocking in some nearby BLM land when the weather warms up a bit (probably Late February through Mid-May). I have been thinking about the 'best' way to protect my family from small animals (snakes, javelina and coyotes come to mind) or deter possible riff-raff who may want to 'permanently borrow' my things. I will not consider firearms at the moment as I have four young children who might get a hold of a gun and harm themselves.

The best idea I have come up with is a crossbow. I have seen one that requires a 275lb draw which should be too much for my wife, let alone the kids! But, having never owned a crossbow (or gun for that matter), I don't know of the possible downsides to owning one. I would like to know if this is my best direction or is there a better way.

I know that there is a lot of experience on this forum and am anxious for any ideas to put me on the right path for safety, security and peace of mind.

Any item used for protection is only good if you have it accessible. By accessible I mean handy and ready for use. Carrying a loaded crossbow around while hiking ect. is not very convenient. Furthermore, if an emergency situation arrives with wildlife or such it will take too long to go get the crossbow, load it, and use it. Safety wise, the same concerns you share about the kids and guns can be said for kids and a loaded crossbow so you would likely keep it unloaded if I read your post correctly. I understand you are looking for a non-gun solution, but the crossbow is nothing more than a gun that doesn't use powder.

For non-gun solutions I would advise a large walking stick and bear spray.
Old 12-27-2011, 02:25 PM   #64

Damon Owners Club
I wish I had never seen this post. [moderator edit] I am always concerned about safety. I am a Vet with PTSD so they say I tend to worry more than most. For many years I carried a hand held bullet launcher. I don't anymore because I have meds from the VA. A guy that takes his family out in the woods with no protection is foolish. There are many things out there that can happen besides being attacked. What if you and the family get lost or break down and have no food? Maybe you can run faster that a deer or a rabbit but I think not. You need to consider all the possibilities before you go regardless of your political beliefs. Weapons do save lives and protect people better than anything you can get. That is why they exist.

So as I said before, sometimes you should just not go where you might have problems.

Now that is my educated opinion........
Old 12-27-2011, 05:09 PM   #65

a "junk yard" dog
Old 12-28-2011, 12:33 AM   #66

I'm beginning to see a bit of a trend in the replies: Be prepared (with a gun) or don't go at all. If you do go, and don't have a gun, you can carry some bear/pepper spray and hope that the person who attacks you doesn't have a gun themselves.

[SIGH...]

I think everyone misread what I was asking (maybe the fault was mine for not saying it clearly enough). The lesser of the worries (by a LARGE margin) is a human threat. I have lived in the desert most of my life and never had an encounter with a human in the middle of the desert where I thought my life was in danger(and, if it were to happen, I don't think my having a gun would stop it). I have, however, encountered many animals/critters that thought that since I was in there house, they had the right to defend it to the death (slight exaggeration).

On the plus side, I have heard quite a few good ideas from many of the replies: Use common sense and be aware of my surroundings, generally not a problem but it's nice to be reminded; Have different methods of protection to be able to handle different types of encounters; Keep all defense items accessible and stay well practiced to ease use.

I have a few months to make my decision still, so any other ideas are appreciated but, please, refrain from telling me that I need a gun to be safe or that I shouldn't go because I am uncomfortable with it. That will be my decision to make when the time comes.

As a side note: It is the desert, not the woods or St. Louis as a couple of people have noted. I'm sure that the larger animals that tend to be in the woods pose more of a threat than the desert types. The scariest animals seem to be in the St. Louis area though...
DrivinMyHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 01:08 AM   #67

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin View Post
In lieu of any meaningful self defense plan, discounting the most effective self defense tools, many times the best defense is to do what the assailent says to do. There is the chance that he just wants stuff, not to hurt anyone. Give him your wallet, hope for the best. Squirting him with fly spray, or watered down pepper spray products will most likely just make him angry and turn what would have been a simple robbery into something more dangerous.
Complying with the criminal has been proven to be the wrong tactic even by FBI studies. ALWAYS fight back.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 01:11 AM   #68

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry White View Post
You might as well just give into anybody that wants to harm or take your property because if you try to defend yourself, you are the perpatrator, not the victim anymore.
That's in Canada or England, not true in most of the US. It is true that you can't use deadly force to protect property in most state's, at least Texas is an exception.
Old 12-28-2011, 01:18 AM   #69

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkmoney View Post
Check local laws prior to purchasing any defense product.
Yep, some states regulate it as a concealed weapon or outlaw it completely.

Another one I've heard is to carry a flare gun "as it's legal everywhere" (I even fell for it). WA says that anything that uses a propellant to fire something is a gun and is treated as such in the laws.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:25 AM   #70

I like flare gunís.