Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-29-2011, 08:45 AM   #85

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPugVA View Post
I read all the responses. Seems the recommendations are all over the spectrum.

Bottom line - do what you think is appropriate. If you need "protection", get something that will protect. Get the training that might be necessary.
I agree. While I don't consider myself to be a "prepper", I'm working on emergency planning. I'm amazed at the number of people who dive into the whole emergency planning topic at the generic level. I cannot imagine how that could work. My emergency plans are for specific situations.

One of the best pictures that I've seen about emergency plans was a triangle. At one corner was "stuff" (meaning things that you buy). Another corner was "training" and the 3rd corner was "mental preparedness". The implication is clear: you cannot, in the middle of an emergency, figure out what you want to do with something and hope that your body knows how to make that happen.

chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2011, 09:04 AM   #86

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
Sling Shot or a dog like our STAR... a Brindle Boxer. She loves kids, but DON'T piss her off!! Her hair rises all the way to her nub, teeth showing, growl becomes a low rumble as her paws dig at the ground like a raging bull ready for the charge. Honest, it is scary and I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of it.

Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 02:42 AM   #87

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivinMyHome View Post
The best idea I have come up with is a crossbow. I have seen one that requires a 275lb draw which should be too much for my wife, let alone the kids! But, having never owned a crossbow (or gun for that matter), I don't know of the possible downsides to owning one. I would like to know if this is my best direction or is there a better way.

I know that there is a lot of experience on this forum and am anxious for any ideas to put me on the right path for safety, security and peace of mind.
I have been intrigued by the crossbow being used in a Motorhome. I like the idea of a crossbow but I think I have come up with the ideal defensive tool.
I have built a Trebuchet that I mounted in the bedroom. Rather than using a rock or a melon as the projectile, I use a 20ft length of logging chain. In my initial testing I rolled the chain into a ball and loaded it into the hurling cup. As the projectile is hurtaling down the hall toward the front of my Motorhome it opens up causing a high degree of destruction as well as hurling the perp through the windshield. Sadly, having no perp at the time of testing I was forced to use my DW for the test. I can proudly say that although badly bruised and exibiting a bad attitude she not only servived the test but was able to deliver a glancing bow to me even though encumbered by a full body cast. I must point out that she is a game little vixen.
At this time I have suspended further testing due to the high cost of medical treatments.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 06:48 AM   #88

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
I have been intrigued by the crossbow being used in a Motorhome. I like the idea of a crossbow but I think I have come up with the ideal defensive tool.
I have built a Trebuchet that I mounted in the bedroom. Rather than using a rock or a melon as the projectile, I use a 20ft length of logging chain. In my initial testing I rolled the chain into a ball and loaded it into the hurling cup. As the projectile is hurtaling down the hall toward the front of my Motorhome it opens up causing a high degree of destruction as well as hurling the perp through the windshield. Sadly, having no perp at the time of testing I was forced to use my DW for the test. I can proudly say that although badly bruised and exibiting a bad attitude she not only servived the test but was able to deliver a glancing bow to me even though encumbered by a full body cast. I must point out that she is a game little vixen.
At this time I have suspended further testing due to the high cost of medical treatments.
Well, we finally have a solution. lol
Old 01-01-2012, 01:38 PM   #89

Get a couple of stun guns. We carry a 1.5 million volt gun and I bought 2 2 million volt guns for my daughters. When you set it off it definitely gets your attention. It does not shoot you have to touch the probes to your target. They will repel dogs, people, cats and my friend used one to scare off a bear on his porch. They are also inexpensive.
Old 01-01-2012, 01:43 PM   #90

I volunteer for the sheriffs department and two things we often do are deescalate and use a camera and the radio.
Old 01-01-2012, 01:54 PM   #91

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Grump View Post
Get a couple of stun guns. We carry a 1.5 million volt gun and I bought 2 2 million volt guns for my daughters. When you set it off it definitely gets your attention. It does not shoot you have to touch the probes to your target. They will repel dogs, people, cats and my friend used one to scare off a bear on his porch. They are also inexpensive.
How did that work exactly ? Did the bear recognize the stun gun or did he actually push it up against the bear ?
Old 01-01-2012, 02:26 PM   #92

No my friend just pushed the button which sets off the arc and the zapping noise. The bear decided that what it was seeing was not good and took off. When I set it off in the house we did not see the cat for 4 hours. The arc and the noise are amazing.
Old 01-01-2012, 02:47 PM   #93

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
No my friend just pushed the button which sets off the arc and the zapping noise. The bear decided that what it was seeing was not good and took off. When I set it off in the house we did not see the cat for 4 hours. The arc and the noise are amazing.
Wow, I never thought about the noise factor. You are right. There is nothing like the sound of an electric arc. It gets everyone and anythings attention.
Old 01-01-2012, 02:56 PM   #94

The light is also very bright.
Old 01-02-2012, 12:41 PM   #95

Never surrender
I do not know the author of the following article but he has a point.
Surrender is not an option.
http://www.survivalblog.com/2012/01/never_surrender--a_resolution.html

January 1, 2012 5:00 AM

"Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense"..Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

I do not know the author of the following article but he has a point. Surrender is not an option and this article make a good case for that position.
The Phases of Surrender

The first phase of surrender is failing to be armed, trained and committed to fight. We are prepared to surrender when we are unprepared to resist.

The second phase of surrender is failing to be alert. You must see trouble coming in order to have time to respond. The warning may be less than one second but it will be there and it must be recognized and acted upon immediately.

The Third phase of surrender is giving up your weapons.

The last phase of surrender is up to the monsters who have taken control of your life and perhaps the lives of your loved ones. The last phase of surrender is out of your hands.
Surrender during war

During the American Revolution 12,000 Colonists captured by the British died in captivity on prison ships, while only 8,000 died in battle. Had the 12,000 who surrendered continued to fight many would have survived and they could have done great damage to the British and likely shortened the war.

Civil War prisoners were treated so badly that some 50,000 died in captivity. More Americans have been killed by Americans than by any foreign army in any war. Six hundred eighteen thousand (618,000) Americans died in the Civil War.

Old 01-02-2012, 12:56 PM   #96

The greatest weapon one can have is his/her mind! Use it wisely.
Old 01-02-2012, 01:48 PM   #97

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayco1 View Post
Never surrender
I do not know the author of the following article but he has a point.
Surrender is not an option.

January 1, 2012 5:00 AM

"Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense"..Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

I do not know the author of the following article but he has a point. Surrender is not an option and this article make a good case for that position.
The Phases of Surrender

The first phase of surrender is failing to be armed, trained and committed to fight. We are prepared to surrender when we are unprepared to resist.

The second phase of surrender is failing to be alert. You must see trouble coming in order to have time to respond. The warning may be less than one second but it will be there and it must be recognized and acted upon immediately.

The Third phase of surrender is giving up your weapons.

The last phase of surrender is up to the monsters who have taken control of your life and perhaps the lives of your loved ones. The last phase of surrender is out of your hands.
Surrender during war

During the American Revolution 12,000 Colonists captured by the British died in captivity on prison ships, while only 8,000 died in battle. Had the 12,000 who surrendered continued to fight many would have survived and they could have done great damage to the British and likely shortened the war.

Civil War prisoners were treated so badly that some 50,000 died in captivity. More Americans have been killed by Americans than by any foreign army in any war. Six hundred eighteen thousand (618,000) Americans died in the Civil War.

Very well said, Thanks !!
Old 01-02-2012, 07:53 PM   #98

Quote:
Please post pictures of what happens when you zap a rattlesnake with your stun gun. Snakes are one of the things the OP wants to defend his family from.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote