Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-02-2012, 09:32 PM   #99

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What you need to know is what to do in case something does happen. Check on what to do in case of snake, insect or animal bites/scratches. Carry a good first aid kit and be prepared. Know CPR and how to splint a broken bone.

Be a good Boy Scout, be prepared and know where to go to get aid.

Jon

2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2012, 11:24 PM   #100

Thor Owners Club
It comes down to a. being vigelent and aware of your surroundings. b. educate yourself about your surroundings c. trust your instinct. d. have a way out. You can't prepare for every eventuality.

Old 01-03-2012, 09:06 PM   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN
Please post pictures of what happens when you zap a rattlesnake with your stun gun. Snakes are one of the things the OP wants to defend his family from.
No thanks, we have Mojave Greens around here, best to leave them alone and walk around them. You don't bother them they don't bother you.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:46 AM   #102

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfran304 View Post
What you need to know is what to do in case something does happen. Check on what to do in case of snake, insect or animal bites/scratches. Carry a good first aid kit and be prepared. Know CPR and how to splint a broken bone.

Be a good Boy Scout, be prepared and know where to go to get aid.

Jon
I used to be certified in all that 'healing', but that was long ago. I think I better take another first aide & CPR training course. I plan on spending more time boon-docking.

Also, I just got one of these pistol-crossbows at Big-5 sporting goods. (SBD) silent but deadly.

80lb Cobra System Self Cocking Crossbow - BUDK

I will practice with my teenage G-daughter and let you know if its worth having. its really easy to cock & load. I first bought a regular crossbow, 150lbs, but could not cock it beacause of the strong string. So that went back to the store.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:49 AM   #103

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
True true....
Big case I followed in news about home owner shoots burgular man coming down hallway to bedrooms, in "obviously" occupied dwelling.

Man lives to sue home owner for shooting him. Even though man said he feared for his & families life. Man went to jail for burgulary, home owner went to jail for ??attemped murder ??? &.........home owners home insurance had to pay burgular for damages caused by home owner.

In the case the judge said that since the home owner had a window in the bedroom, and he could "escape" the danger the burgular posed, he was supposed to crawl out the window to safety.

ALL us "normal" men said....we will kill if some one comes into our home and family was threatened.

It took a long time, but law was changed. You home is your castle, and you may defend it to the death.

BUT.....what about your RV ??? I live in mine, so it surely must be my castle to defend ???
Old 01-05-2012, 10:57 AM   #104

It depends on where . Some state have "duty to retreat", meaning, you can defend yourself & family , in your dwelling, including , in some cases, your car, camper, house etc, but you have to use any oppertunity to get away first. Some states do not have duty to retreat, bad guy comes into your dwelling , you protect yourself.
One of many problems with duty to retreat is this. Let's say your in your house, bad guys breaks in, you feel your life is threatened, you decide to retreat out the back door... To find his buddy waiting for you outside, now what ?
Old 01-05-2012, 02:01 PM   #105
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Please in a very pleasant tone of voice "We seem to be getting off topic again".
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 05:07 AM   #106

Freightliner Owners Club
There is nothing that completely guarantees protection,not even a Gun,but it would afford the best chance and if that is what it took to protect family and friends,well thats what I would have to do.
Old 01-06-2012, 03:35 PM   #107

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Funny how life changes as you get older.
When I was a young man Family Protection ment Trojan ENZ, Magnums, of course. Now it wasp spray or cross bows.
If I get much older, Family Protection will mean a properly sealed coffin from Costco.
Just a settin and a thinkin
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 04:10 PM   #108

A crossbow? A crossbow? Those crossbow arrowheads are pretty sharp and can hurt kiddos. Just because it doesn't go BANG doesn't mean it isn't lethal to the untrained child. Seems to me if you want to protect your family you might want more than one shot.

Or, you could try taking along one of these ferocious furry things. Seems to be pretty effective against a snake.

Police Videos, Law Enforcement Videos, Taser Videos and Police Pursuit Videos - PoliceLink

Don
Old 01-06-2012, 04:31 PM   #109

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
As said TRAINING for the younger ones,even if training is don't touch.My hunting arrows are razor sharp,I have throwing knifes you can shave with.(yea i like sharpe things)so all these are a danger if not used right.I saw somebody had a link to---BUDK.con---they have a cane with a stunner on end,also a cane sword,and a few other things you might think about.
Bill-----Just remenber---Don't sweat the petty things,and Don't pet the sweaty things.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:50 PM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
Please in a very pleasant tone of voice "We seem to be getting off topic again".
Churchill was not the only one who can walk softly and carry a big stick. You have a very difficult job, and do it very well.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 12:03 PM   #111

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Churchill was not the only one who can walk softly and carry a big stick. You have a very difficult job, and do it very well.

Hmmm, I thought was Teddy R.

Glenn
Old 01-07-2012, 12:48 PM   #112

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Per Answers.com, it was Teddy R.:

What Theodore Roosevelt said was not "walk softly but carry a big stick" as is often mis-quoted. He gave his famous quote during a speech in 1903:
There is a homely old adage which runs: "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far." If the American nation will speak softly, and yet build and keep at a pitch of the highest training a thoroughly efficient navy, the Monroe Doctrine will go far.
Yeah, I know, still off-topic.