Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-23-2011, 12:08 PM   #1

Ideas for Family Protection (No Guns!)

I am currently staying in a mobile home community in Peoria AZ, but would like to do a bit of boondocking in some nearby BLM land when the weather warms up a bit (probably Late February through Mid-May). I have been thinking about the 'best' way to protect my family from small animals (snakes, javelina and coyotes come to mind) or deter possible riff-raff who may want to 'permanently borrow' my things. I will not consider firearms at the moment as I have four young children who might get a hold of a gun and harm themselves.

The best idea I have come up with is a crossbow. I have seen one that requires a 275lb draw which should be too much for my wife, let alone the kids! But, having never owned a crossbow (or gun for that matter), I don't know of the possible downsides to owning one. I would like to know if this is my best direction or is there a better way.

I know that there is a lot of experience on this forum and am anxious for any ideas to put me on the right path for safety, security and peace of mind.
DrivinMyHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2011, 12:15 PM   #2

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Long range hornet/wasp jet spray. Up to 27' range.
Old 12-23-2011, 12:19 PM   #3

How about a baseball bat?
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 12:19 PM   #4

Why not simply teach your children firearm safety and buy a gun? My kids learned at a young age what was safe and what was not safe for them. A crossbow, unless you leave it loaded would take too much time to cock and load so IMHO is pretty much useless. When there is any sort of weapon in the home everybody in that home should be trained on proper safety measures of that weapon. Doing anything less is just plane foolish. My grand kids even at age 8 and 10 know about gun safety. Because their parents have taught them safety. Besides that there is such a thing as a portable gun safe. Have one in my trailer that contains a loaded ready to fire weapon capable of stopping all but maybe a person high on meth. The only other sure meathod is to not camp except in a gated resort.
Old 12-23-2011, 12:21 PM   #5

Forget the Weapons! Particulary since you have no experience using them. Several cans of hornet spray, stratigically located in your rig, along with a cast iron fry pan will do more for you. A can of pepper spray(make sure you know which way the wind is blowing) in a faney pack for outside will help. Teach your children what to do in an emergency is also a good idea. Even with thiry years in law enforcement I am careful where I go and I am always aware of my surroundings, when I get "that feeling" I go in the other direction. I feel most comfortable when surrounded by other RV's.
tranquility is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 12:27 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Unless you practice a lot, a crossbow is very inaccurate.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 12:34 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
I would buy the gun, get some training and keep it in one of these new safes that uses your hand print as an unlocking mechanism. For small animals and snakes, the Taurus Judge that shoots 410 shotgun shells or long Colt 45 cartridges is a good small animal/unwanted criminal element deterrent.

TxTC
Old 12-23-2011, 12:35 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
If you saw the occupy whatever. You probably saw them get sprayed with pepper spray. They just sat there. The crybabies made the manuf. dilute the spray until it is so weak as to be a joke. I read several years ago that women were being raped in some city up north. They started carrying easy off oven spray. Of course it is dangerous and should only be used in a life or death situation. Like a gun, Do not threaten with it. Only pull it out if you intend to use it.
Old 12-23-2011, 12:46 PM   #9

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivinMyHome View Post
... I will not consider firearms at the moment as I have four young children who might get a hold of a gun and harm themselves...
The OP was very clear that he is looking for options other than guns.
Old 12-23-2011, 01:01 PM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I go with a tazer/stun gun 500,000 volt will drop you like a rock. Also carry mace on key ring. trust me just the sound is enough to make folks think twice. If the kids do get it and mess with it they will never touch it again but will live to tell about it.
Conquest102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 01:05 PM   #11

If you are not willing to spend the time to get trained and well practiced in the use of firearms, here are a few suggestions.

Tire Checker - have one but only used for it's intended purpose

Kimber Pepper Blaster - highly recommended by a friend

Flashlauncher - no experience but looks cool

The best tool of all is being alert and aware of your surroundings.
Old 12-23-2011, 01:17 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
A very protective dog could be an option...not the ankle nibbler variety, however. Not much of a deterrent there. Think like a bad guy and go with what you're comfortable with. This topic is always so subjective. Different strokes for...

Bear spray might be another option for relatively 'up close and personal' interaction. We have a couple of big honk'n cans of the stuff and it'll turn an object of interest orange in a hurry. If it will deter a 'Grizzle', it'll deter any of the small animals you mentioned. Of course, kids can get into trouble with this stuff as well.... Bob

BTW, this is the STUFF we carried throughout Canada and Alaska...it'll lay it down!

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 01:37 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Folks,
The OP has specifically stated he does not want to consider, at least at this time, the use of guns for protection. Any mention of guns will be considered Off Topic and will be deleted.

Thanks for understanding.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 01:51 PM   #14

Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
KZ RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Dimes View Post
Long range hornet/wasp jet spray. Up to 27' range.
Good suggestion! I have become a good shot with the spray because of hornet nests in our area and never thought of using those skills for self defence and we already keep a can in the RV for pest control.