Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2011, 02:26 PM   #267

Question

Just a note to Ed S & Warden regarding buying of American made products. Sorry, you've missed the boat. There are virtually no products that are made here in the good ol US of A. Just plug in 'Made in USA' on your Chinese computer & you'll be sorely disappointed. Now I'm not really singling you out personally. This is just a fact of life. Check out the components in your made in US rv. I'd be willing to bet they are of Chinese origin.

Also, to the 1000+ respondents to the docking at China-Mart thread I say
"Guilty as Charged". Yes, they employ many (at substandard wages) but they've decimated many a small family owned business throughout our great country. We are our own worst enemies in order to save a buck on inferior products at the expense of our unemployed neighbors. Where will this all end? I am frightened for our future as a country & for our g'kids.

jodann
jodann is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2011, 02:37 PM   #268
a k

Newmar Owners Club
March oil fut's are closing today and April 's bid is already over $93/barrel. We are in trouble big time.
a k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 02:44 PM   #269

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodann View Post
Just a note to Ed S & Warden regarding buying of American made products. Sorry, you've missed the boat. There are virtually no products that are made here in the good ol US of A. Just plug in 'Made in USA' on your Chinese computer & you'll be sorely disappointed. Now I'm not really singling you out personally. This is just a fact of life. Check out the components in your made in US rv. I'd be willing to bet they are of Chinese origin.

"Guilty as Charged". Yes, they employ many (at substandard wages) but they've decimated many a small family owned business throughout our great country. We are our own worst enemies in order to save a buck on inferior products at the expense of our unemployed neighbors. Where will this all end? I am frightened for our future as a country & for our g'kids.

jodann
With that in mind.....a local manufacturer (Buck Knives) moved from El Cajon to Idaho. They also outsourced I would say about 85% of their product to Taiwan.
I used to sell their products.......no more. I will only sell American Made. I now sell their competitors product made in Oregon. (Leatherman)
"Semper Fi"
w6pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 02:48 PM   #270

Quote:
What needs to happen is people quit buying it, but you and I all know that will never happen
People quit buying gas the last time prices skyrocketed and the same will happen again. The market cannot bare massive cost of living increases. So keep your Rvs and be happy
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 02:55 PM   #271
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
I've already begun a savings fund for our trip to the iRV2 National Rally in VA.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:37 AM   #272

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowcatche View Post
I have often speculated what would happen when the US reached real world fuel prices. Look what has happened in Europe, for the most part you do not see large RVs. There are those on the T&TTT forum that have downsized into a teardrop or tiny travel trailer to be able to continue to afford to travel.
My question to you is what is "real world fuel prices"? The reason fuel cost so much in Europe is not the cost of oil, but because of the amount of taxes European countries put on fuel... Now look at countries in South America, and the Mideast, their fuel prices are way lower than ours.

There are ways we could get a handle on oil prices, but we would need honest politicans ( ...Wow..I just made a "funny" ... ) that wouldn't bow down to special interest groups to git'er done.
cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 11:09 AM   #273

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I know for a fact that we will be traveling less. Head North this summer to Traverse City area and stay for the season. Don't know what to expect for next winter but whatever we decide will be a strait travel to the destination and sit till Spring. I'm not about to give up the moho but the way things are it sure puts a strain on your life style. Funny how the government says the cost of living hasn't gone up. Yea Right! Food, gas, insurance etc. haven't gone up. Tell my checkbook that. Funny how polititians can write themselves a raise year after year and nobody has a say about it but to not give out Soc. Sec. COLA adjustments because the cost of living hasn't gone up is a JOKE. JMHO
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 11:45 AM   #274

As the cost of fuel increases the cost of air-fair and other means of travel will also increase. Sure $4 gas this summer will hurt, and $5 gas will hurt even more. I'm certain we will travel with greater care, but we will travel.
JMHO
kalynzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 02:26 PM   #275

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodann View Post

jodann

I can't disagree with you jodann....I'll have to agree with you even though it hurts to do so.
Warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 03:45 PM   #276

Fleetwood Owners Club
It's not $5.00/gallon that concerns me as much as $10 or 15.00/gallon.

And, it's not $10 or $15 gallon that bothers me as much as the time frame in which it occured.

And, it's not the time frame in which it occured as much as my ability to afford it within the time frame.
Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 04:12 PM   #277

the question should not be IF gas goes to 5.00 but! when gas goes to 5.00 and when it does go to 5.00 we will still buy gas and cut out other things so we can move about .In the end it will kill our economy just like last time but!worse .I work in the American oil fields, in production and the rule of thumb ! is we loose 7% of our production each year as a natural decline,so if we don't drill more oil wells each year and hit oil we will go out of business . The company I work for (38 years )is a small oil co.and we have not made a good well in several years. we keep hearing it's down there but it's been years since any oil co. has hit a real good well 200+brls a day on shore. you have to go off-shore to get those kind of wells , but that's come to stop .so we are living during a life changing event .I still have my bicycle! Do you?
swampdog2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 04:26 PM   #278

It can quickly pass $5.00 a gallon. I'll get worried if it hit $10.
Its Paid For is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 02:33 AM   #279

Don't look now boys but $5 a gallon might be here before spring. One of the other things that screwed gas price is the loss of the small private gas station owner. When's the last time you see a gas war? The big oil companies squeezed them out so they didn't have to lose money and they could set the price. Isn't that a monopoly?
jimbo16720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 02:49 AM   #280
TW

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Fuelprices

I'll drive as much as b4, but trips will be shorter. We are soooo lucky, that we have lots of campgrounds around here and in WA and OR too. The fast rise to fame from the oil makes me think twice, b4 I start the engine.
We can just sit and wait, what happens overseas?

TW
TW is offline   Reply With Quote