Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-26-2011, 04:04 PM   #337
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Folks, let's stay on topic and keep the political comments related directly to the topic.

Thanks!

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2011, 04:06 PM   #338

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Only true if you are willing to ignore the similarly increased cost of the RV space you probably sat in, the cost of your food, the cost of the lube used in your rig - lubricating oil now costs about double what it was 10 years ago - and how soon will you be needing new tires? Bring money - LOTS of it!
I work in the grocery distribution industry. Yes, besides transportation costs (diesel), commodity prices for oats ( up 47%), corn (up 83%), soybeans (up 35%), coffee (up 110%), silver (up 102%), wheat (up 52%)....12 month changes.....This all means grocery $$$ are up....

The state of Ohio State Parks increased all nightly site fees $2 this year instead of the normal $1.

We'll just hold off longer trips until fuel prices come more in-line with our budget.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 04:16 PM   #339
a k

Newmar Owners Club
Unbelievable. No wonder Shell stations are all company owned now. Back when I had the stations our cost had the rent included. Selling for $.35/gal and profit was around 11 cents. Shell wanted us to start self service and start selling milk and bread. That was the first time I retired.(And I was only 29-long time ago.)
a k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 04:45 PM   #340

Newmar Owners Club
i think we are done if it reaches 5.00 @gal. The recovery will be over. I am not in favor of Govt. controls but I think something has to be done with comodity traders. Had you invested in Copper last year instead of Gold you would be way ahead. Only 12% of copper sold is ever shipped. It is all on paper. Large volume fund traders are the cause for the increase in all of the products you and I use everyday.
One thing for sure if that happens I think the RV industry that is enjoying a strong recovery now may not recover from another 2009.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:31 AM   #341

The biggest change that has occured since The Greatest Generation and today, and will continue the overall decline of all things is the overwheling growth of government. During they entire span of TGG government accounted for 5% or less of our entire GDP. Today all levels of government account for 46% of our entire GDP and is growing still.

So it is not a matter of failing to pass down respect and proper behaviors, it is a matter of TGG being totally free in modern society and current generations being serfs and very little freedoms due to the demands of government needing to control virtually every aspect of our lives on a daily basis and at an unsustainable cost by which more and more people fall through the cracks of society each year, unable to endure or compete in this structure.

Those here saying $5.00 gas and it's over, are seeing what millions have already succombed to with issues of taxation, commodity increases, housing increases etc. More and more fall under the weight of this growing government than are helped by it in any significant way.

In 2012 government will exceed 50% of GDP, and that is when the most ignorant among us will comprehend that a Republic is doomed under such a relationship where freedom is less than 50% of control, dollar for dollar. Roughly 7 million government workers consume, utilize, and control more than over 300 million private citizens economically.

Thus there was once The Greatest Generation, now there is The Most Enslaved Generation. The prior had life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness, the former will continue to struggle just to surive and attempt to not break the rules, however feeble a task that is.

I break the rules by collecting rain water here in Colorado, which is against the law, as the government sold the water rights of rain to others, even if it lands on your own property on your own roof, it is not your rain, it is the governments to sell.
Its Paid For is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 10:30 AM   #342

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Its Paid For View Post
The biggest change that has occured since The Greatest Generation and today, and will continue the overall decline of all things is the overwheling growth of government. During they entire span of TGG government accounted for 5% or less of our entire GDP. Today all levels of government account for 46% of our entire GDP and is growing still.

So it is not a matter of failing to pass down respect and proper behaviors, it is a matter of TGG being totally free in modern society and current generations being serfs and very little freedoms due to the demands of government needing to control virtually every aspect of our lives on a daily basis and at an unsustainable cost by which more and more people fall through the cracks of society each year, unable to endure or compete in this structure.

Those here saying $5.00 gas and it's over, are seeing what millions have already succombed to with issues of taxation, commodity increases, housing increases etc. More and more fall under the weight of this growing government than are helped by it in any significant way.

In 2012 government will exceed 50% of GDP, and that is when the most ignorant among us will comprehend that a Republic is doomed under such a relationship where freedom is less than 50% of control, dollar for dollar. Roughly 7 million government workers consume, utilize, and control more than over 300 million private citizens economically.

Thus there was once The Greatest Generation, now there is The Most Enslaved Generation. The prior had life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness, the former will continue to struggle just to surive and attempt to not break the rules, however feeble a task that is.

I break the rules by collecting rain water here in Colorado, which is against the law, as the government sold the water rights of rain to others, even if it lands on your own property on your own roof, it is not your rain, it is the governments to sell.
Hear Hear!!
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 11:33 AM   #343

C'mon folks!
I'm not connected with iRV2 in any way other than an avid reader & occasional poster here. We've had some very interesting back & forths which makes for great discussion & terrific reading until SOMEONE ALWAYS seems to inject politics into the equation & the thread is shut down.

Can't we just keep it friendly & obey the rules ? jodann
jodann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 11:57 AM   #344

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
politics, government policies, the environment, and oil all go together.. cant be escaped..
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 12:13 PM   #345

Quote:
Originally Posted by gesmone View Post
i think we are done if it reaches 5.00 @gal. The recovery will be over. I am not in favor of Govt. controls but I think something has to be done with comodity traders. Had you invested in Copper last year instead of Gold you would be way ahead. Only 12% of copper sold is ever shipped. It is all on paper. Large volume fund traders are the cause for the increase in all of the products you and I use everyday.
One thing for sure if that happens I think the RV industry that is enjoying a strong recovery now may not recover from another 2009.
Related news stories from today:

High pump prices rattle drivers and businesses - Yahoo! Finance

A quote:

Quote:
"When we get over $3.75 we are looking at very serious consequences for the economy," he says.
Gas pump prices jump 8 cents over weekend - Yahoo! News

A quote:

Quote:
"One thing we know with oil so high," Lynch said, "is this is not going to be a robust year for the economy."
ANALYSIS-After the crisis, a worldwide rise in unrest? | News by Country | Reuters

A quote:

Quote:
Crude oil prices have risen by up to a fifth on recent unrest in the Middle East and North Africa, enough to act as a potentially brake on already fragile economic growth.

"Business as usual" - and rising fuel costs "only a minor bump in the road", to soon fade away"?

Somehow, I don't think so...

NOR, do I think that fuel costs are even CLOSE to being a simple, SINGLE issue we will all be facing, but rather an across-the-board series of price increases and social issues that WILL greatly influence MANY of our spending decisions and choices.

Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 03:23 PM   #346

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodann View Post
C'mon folks!
I'm not connected with iRV2 in any way other than an avid reader & occasional poster here. We've had some very interesting back & forths which makes for great discussion & terrific reading until SOMEONE ALWAYS seems to inject politics into the equation & the thread is shut down.

Can't we just keep it friendly & obey the rules ? jodann
Ok, here is my attempt; Yes, I will still RV at >$5 a gallon

Greg & Lynn (Full-Timing)
2011 Phaeton 42 QBH / Spartan Chassis
2003 Jeep GC Overland in Tow
FDchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 03:32 PM   #347

Fleetwood Owners Club
Diesel: $3.98/gallon this past weekend
Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 04:00 PM   #348

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I'm thinking gas $5/gallon Rv tow service $100 deductible how about calling for a tow, If your in California you say your preferred service center is in Florida and vice versa. Might raise the deductible though.
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 04:17 PM   #349

Actually I think my post was based on economics. It has nothing to do with politics, parties, or individuals. It is simply a summary of real GDP and answers the question directly as to why everything is going up and not just gas.

It is also going up globally and not just in the states. The reasons are the same. Is it ok in these forums to discuss economics? If not, I shall gladly refrain as I too prefer to keep threads going.
Its Paid For is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 04:38 PM   #350

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDchief View Post
Ok, here is my attempt; Yes, I will still RV at >$5 a gallon
Same here, I might not like it, but at this point in my life...I'm going! Besides, if you own a multi $100k MH, so what if the price is $5/gallon...you should be able to afford it.
hooverbill is offline   Reply With Quote