Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-30-2010, 11:27 AM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monacoach View Post
You guys are depressing me
As well you, and ALL of us SHOULD be!

Far too many in this country and the world are living in a "Titanic Fantasy", where as long as THEIR feet aren't wet yet, continue to dance and party as if all was well with no worries...

BUT, the "holes" in our country are still there, the tides are pouring in to our eventual demise - and precious FEW will really escape relatively unscathed.

Sadly, MOST will continue to live in denial, until THEIR part of the boat too, is slipping under the waves - as it surely will...

Yeah - laugh and ridicule NOW, but watch out for tomorrow...
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2010, 12:22 PM   #86

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Yahoo to W4RLR
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacmat View Post
Ya, blame it on someone else. You did'nt know that US is still the world's largest consumer of fuel.

If everyone would slow down to 55 mph, consumption would be down by 15 to 20%
That is a generalization. When towing my fiver, I actually get BETTER fuel economy doing 63 miles per hour. Not more, not less.

The last time they tried 55 here, it was "to save fuel". It didn't. Then they said it "saves lives" and going back to higher speeds would turn the roads into "slaughterhouses". Again, it didn't.

Yes, the U.S. is the largest consumer of fuel. Also consider in Europe, the population is more compact, the public transit and train systems are more extensive, and the U.S. is just BIG. Ever hear the story of the Briton who arrived in Orlando by plane in the morning, rented a car and planned on driving to Los Angeles to have dinner the same evening? It takes nearly two days just to get across Texas!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
W4RLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 12:27 PM   #87

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Yahoo to W4RLR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
Just buy a plane instead - 200mph @ 12gph = 16.6 mpg.. 2x the mileage and 3x the speed

I want one
I would if I could. But I would have to pay someone to pilot it. While I used to have a pilot's license years ago, I can no longer pass the medical.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
W4RLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 01:49 PM   #88

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rray32539 View Post
I would if I could. But I would have to pay someone to pilot it. While I used to have a pilot's license years ago, I can no longer pass the medical.
Thats what LSA is for my friend
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 01:55 PM   #89
a k

Newmar Owners Club
I wish they would certify a 150 or 152 for light sport.
a k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 02:04 PM   #90
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Not entirely accurate.

snopes.com: Saudi Gas Boycott

snopes.com: Citgo / Petro Express

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
Hey guys! I just got this in eMail this morning. Can we subscribe to this or is it not accurate?
WHERE TO BUY AMERICAN GASOLINE.
THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO KNOW. READ ON

Gas rationing in the 70's worked even though we grumbled about it. It might even have been good for us!

Are you aware that the Saudis are boycotting American products? In addition, they are gouging us on oil prices. Shouldn't we return the favor? Can't we take control of our own destiny and let these giant oil importers know who REALLY generates their profits, their livings? How about leaving American Dollars in America and reduce the import/export deficit?

An appealing remedy might be to boycott their GAS. Every time you fill up your car you can avoid putting more money into the coffers of Saudi Arabia . Just purchase gas from companies that don't import their oil from the Saudis.

Nothing is more frustrating than the feeling that every time I fill up my tank, I'm sending my money to people who want me, my family and my friends dead.

The following gas companies import Middle Eastern oil:

Shell..................................... 205,742,000 barrels
Chevron/Texaco...................... 144,332,000 barrels
Exxon /Mobil........................... 130,082,000 barrels
Marathon/Speedway................ 117,740,000 barrels
Amoco.................................... 62,231,000 barrels

And CITGO oil is imported from Venezuela by Dictator Hugo Chavez who hates America and openly avows our economic destruction! (We pay Chavez's regime nearly $10 Billion per year in oil revenues!)

The U.S. currently imports 5,517,000 barrels of crude oil per day from OPEC. If you do the math (now $90.00 plus) that's over $550 million PER DAY ($200 BILLION per year!) handed over to OPEC, many of whose members are our confirmed enemies!!!!! It won't stop here - oil prices could go to $200 a barrel or higher if we keep buying their product.

Here are some large companies THAT DO NOT import Middle Eastern oil:

Sunoco............... 0 barrels
Conoco............... 0 barrels
0A Sinclair........... 0 barrels
BP / Phillips.......... 0 barrels
Hess................... 0 barrels
ARC0.................. 0 barrels
Maverick............. 0 barrels
Flying J............... 0 barrels
Valero................ 0 barrels
Kwik Fill.............. 0 barrels
Murphy Oil USA *. 0 barrels

*Sold at Wal-Mart , gas is from South Arkansas and fully USA owned and produced.
*Not only that but they give scholarships to all children in their town who finish high school and are legal US citizens..

All of this information is available from the U.S. Department of Energy and each company is required to state where they get their oil and how much they are importing.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 02:18 PM   #91

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Ya.. that email is mostly bull...We need to boycott the Canadians!
Old 12-30-2010, 05:10 PM   #92

At $5 per gallon, there may be some good sales both retail and private. If so, I may consider dumping my old worn out Superchief and upgrading. It also may make the very overpriced Winnebago Via more attractive.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 05:34 PM   #93

rray, I had always thought that the 55 limit was proven to save fuel; perhaps someone can post some info.
rough road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 05:45 PM   #94

I'm going to keep at it.
Jayco1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 05:49 PM   #95

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullheaded View Post
Just spent a little over $400k on a new coach.......too late to quit now!
Me Too!! Course now I talked to a guy who had the 2010 Allegro BUs with Eurea tank and he said he was getting 10mpg with only 3k miles on it! Made me wish my Zephyr had urea....
roboniko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 05:53 PM   #96

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Didnt think urea increased MPG??
Old 12-30-2010, 10:49 PM   #97

Since $4.50 gas almost destroyed America,$5.00 is just before $6.00. Wonder what new features OPEC has for destruction of our RV style of living? I see a lot of us sitting longer at campgrounds instead of moving along like we want. Some will have to sit for months. Take into account all financial conditions, from food to insurance, tires, service, and whats left of campgrounds. Remember the RV makers who had to give it up too. It could happen again.
Wayne MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 11:52 PM   #98

I got into a discussion on one of my motorcycle forums about touring. Went as far as breaking down travel costs and it was an eye opener. When all expenses are weighed in the RV is cheaper as well as more comfortable. A biker can stay at campgrounds with his tent but most stay in motels. Food preparation in the RV versus eating out. Even at 8 mpg versus a motorcycle's 40 mpg the RV was more cost effective. Beyond that, for long distance travel you will have a place to stay when you get there.

No doubt $5.00 P/G will be painful for most of us. If travel is your goal then that is what you pay and you get a lot for that $5.00. Overall, RV's are one of the most cost effective ways to travel or live for that matter.
motojavaphil is offline   Reply With Quote