Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-31-2010, 06:47 AM   #99

moto, we also have looked at the -total- cost of rv ownership (including depreciation-less time at the destination, if that is important to you, and tolls) and our results were a bit different than yours, perhaps because we figured in the cost of financing and taxes. Our conclusion, we could fly, rent a car, and stay at five star resorts for LESS than owning our own, modest, rv-it wasn't even close and we ran the numbers when fuel was alot less.

I won't argue that traveling in an rv is much more civilized that travel by auto-a clean bath is just a few paces towards the rear AND one does not have to do the now requisite 'bed bug' inspection AND you don't have to put your luggage, clothing and other personal items in a plastic bag above the floor-well perhaps on second thought the double the cost aspect of rv ownership versus traditional vacations can be justified.....
rough road is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2010, 06:56 AM   #100
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Well, we will just go to the mode of shorter trips and staying longer in one spot.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 07:20 AM   #101

Ford Super Duty Owner
5-6-7 dollars? We won't stop. Good news is with so much to see and do in Texas cost of gas won't matter much, probably be fewer commercial parks to choose from but less crowded especially in winter.
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 08:28 AM   #102
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FDchief View Post
All this does have me a bit concerned, and fuel prices are just one part of it. The American dollar is getting to the point that it is not worth the paper it is written on. If we need more money we just print more, there is nothing to back it up. We keep coming up with Federal and State programs, and still subsidize old ones. Our government needs to just say "no more", bite the bullet and balance the budget. I am not happy with either side, Democrat or Republicans, but we have got to start using some common sense.

We owe tons of money to other countries, speaking of China. If they call in their chips anytime soon, we will be broke and our new currency could be the Yen! Enough doom and gloom, let's RV. God Bless America!
As our $ loses its value on the world market it will take more $$ to buy a barrel of oil. Petroleum products will increase accordingly. I have often thought our country should tie the price of a bushel wheat to a barrel of oil on the world market.

I am more concerned about the future of SS, Medicare, & Medicaid than I am about future gas & diesel prices. I can drive less but I still need good health care that is not rationed.

JMHO;

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Adopted by a great couple, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 08:54 AM   #103

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Not about us

Truth is it's not about us. As stated on ABC last night, it's about the public taking another hit and therefore reacting negatively to the high prices. It will set the whole country back where it was 2 years ago and virtually halt whatever gains have been made in attempt to get out of this recession.
Old 12-31-2010, 09:02 AM   #104

Don't know about now ,but I sort of remember some posts about gas prices in England being around $7.00 a gal. a bit ago and it doesn't deter them. Maybe someone from across the pond can respond...
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 09:34 AM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by rough road View Post
moto, we also have looked at the -total- cost of rv ownership (including depreciation-less time at the destination, if that is important to you, and tolls) and our results were a bit different than yours, perhaps because we figured in the cost of financing and taxes. Our conclusion, we could fly, rent a car, and stay at five star resorts for LESS than owning our own, modest, rv-it wasn't even close and we ran the numbers when fuel was alot less.

I won't argue that traveling in an rv is much more civilized that travel by auto-a clean bath is just a few paces towards the rear AND one does not have to do the now requisite 'bed bug' inspection AND you don't have to put your luggage, clothing and other personal items in a plastic bag above the floor-well perhaps on second thought the double the cost aspect of rv ownership versus traditional vacations can be justified.....
I have to agree that when you figure in the cost of the RV it does alter the equation although I have seen some motorcycles that cost as much as some decent used RVs. If you travel with a pop-up camper it is far less expensive than motorcycle touring. If you travel with a $1M Prevost then there will be a distinct cost factor if you really care. There are many ways to factor costs but for the purposes of what I was saying the cost of the rig etc., were not included in the guesstimate. You could include having a S&B if you do not live in the RV or approach it with other configurations. I had just limited it to the act of traveling and it is cheaper.
motojavaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 10:28 AM   #106

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Please consider that should gas rise to $5/gal, all other sales items will rise proportionally. So not buying gas will only drive (pun intended) you to other services that will rise similarly just because their expenses are tied to the price of gas.

One can only hope that your disposable income will also rise proportionally. Of course for we retirees, it will only go down. Thanks to those responsible.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 10:30 AM   #107

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Thanx Driver for the time it took to inform us where the oil comes from within the "Good Old US-of-A".

We get a good deal of our fuel here in NE Ohio from a grocery chain's gas stations called "Get-Go". I'll be curious where it comes from...??

Screw OPEC....In news report, they say they are real comfortable where the price range of oil is now. I'm sure they are...
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 12:03 PM   #108

Tiffin Owners Club
Maybe we should wait to buy our new rig till the price does go up to 5.00 p/g, the rig price should drop right down to 2008 prices????
phxmtngirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 12:34 PM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H... View Post
Don't know about now ,but I sort of remember some posts about gas prices in England being around $7.00 a gal. a bit ago and it doesn't deter them. Maybe someone from across the pond can respond...
On the average, Europeans vacationing lifestyle and vehicle use is FAR different than ours - their far tighter-packed housing and apartment dwelling causes great use of public transit, and vehicle-per-capita ownership is far lower than ours, as well as RV ownership.

I'm sure they are no happier than we are over fuel costs - but a far greater percentage of them actually only see that cost indirectly, in cost of living, goods and services.
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 02:55 PM   #110

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Howdy y'all,
You can always sell your blood for fuel $$$ I'm just glad we live in TEXAS and still have some places INSIDE the state we want to see.. Sure it would be nice to go to Alaska, Maine or Washington STATE, but all of them are IN TEXAS and you can understand the language!!!
When the 'MESSAGE' got out that MURPHY'S was 'outlawing' oversize rigs
I contacted them and they wrote back and put a comment on iRV2 saying
"NO!" they are actually building more and EASIER STATIONS FOR OVERSIZED
VEHICLES... I am glad Murphy is on the USA list...
butterbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 03:27 PM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary - K7GLD View Post
On the average, Europeans vacationing lifestyle and vehicle use is FAR different than ours - their far tighter-packed housing and apartment dwelling causes great use of public transit, and vehicle-per-capita ownership is far lower than ours, as well as RV ownership.

I'm sure they are no happier than we are over fuel costs - but a far greater percentage of them actually only see that cost indirectly, in cost of living, goods and services.
I toured UK on my motorcycle and enjoyed it. One of the things I learned is distance is perceived differently there. Here I would think nothing of going 400 miles but that is a sizable chunk of milage there. RVs were smaller, cars were smaller, roads were narrower and the whole concept of travel seemed influenced by this. Indeed fuel was much higher and Brit salaries did not seem as high as ours which would have influenced the amount of RV travel I imagine.
motojavaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 03:44 PM   #112

I look at it this way:

We travel on average 54 days/year covering about 8,000 miles

At 8 mpg, the $2 difference between $3/gallon and $5/gallon = an additional $2,000/year (1,000 gallons x $2)

$2,000 divided by 54 days = an additional cost of $37/day.

I can partially offset this by cutting back on other trip expenses:

Use State Park, COE and other lower fee campgrounds. Maybe throw in a little Wallydocking and National Forest dispersed camping.

Maximize free and inexpensive entertainment on the trip. Hiking and taking photos is good enough for me.

There are also plenty of things I'd be willing to cut back on at home to cover this increase in the cost of my traveling addiction