Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2016, 09:25 PM   #15

Get the Legal Heat APP, it covers mostly up to date laws In all 50 states including duty to inform laws.
Here in MO , for example we are not required to inform , but give honest answer if asked .

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2016, 10:14 PM   #16

Transporting Firearms in Maryland
Can I legally transport firearms interstate? MD State Police
Yes, under Title 18, Section 926A, of the United States Code, a person who is not prohibited from possessing, transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment. In the case the vehicle does not have a compartment separate from the driver's compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked compartment other than the glove compartment or console. This applies only if you do not stop in Maryland for any reason. If you stop you come under Maryland gun laws.

Old 04-02-2016, 10:20 PM   #17

I have traveled the east coast, and THAT is a nightmare. I cross a border, stop, disassemble the gun, move on to the next border, reassemble and put it back in the glove box, then get to PA and LEAVE THE GUN with my uncle 2 miles south of the NY border, so I can enter New York without going to jail for 2 years (no questions asked!!!).

But out here in the west, it isn't quite that bad, but still, I don't want to get into any trouble.

I guess when I get to OR, I will leave the gun(s) in the trailer. Might be the safest way to keep out of trouble, until I get a residence and OR CHL.
Old 04-02-2016, 10:22 PM   #18

I live in Florida and asked a police office about no need to inform. He said that is correct but if during the stop and the officer even glances a gun you will have a gun pulled and pointed at your face. you then will be put on the ground and have many police offers surrounding you.
For me I would rather keep my hands on the wheel and tell the officer that I have a concealed weapons license
and tell him where it is located.
Old 04-02-2016, 10:23 PM   #19

BTW--Thanks for all the feedback!

Apparently, I am not the only person wondering about the legality of carrying guns across borders.

Sadly, I am a multi-gun owner, and I am going full-time, so the guns have to go with me. And I have to figure out how to travel without getting into trouble.
Old 04-02-2016, 10:27 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor7 View Post
^this

Keep it three steps away and you should comply with Oregon law. I rode through there last year on the bike and unloaded my 1911, placed the mag in my tank bag & pistol in my rear trunk.

I don't know how long it's gonna take, but we really really need a 50 state compliance rule for ccw. The existing rules are a giant spider web of confusion. We the people, need to demand a better system,
There is that pesky 10th Amendment.
PJStough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 11:55 PM   #21

Country Coach Owners Club
All the states that have a open carry only applies to residents of that state. If you are passing thru, then that open carry does not apply to you.

Check it out before you go open carry in some states.
Old 04-03-2016, 06:32 AM   #22

The best advice has already been given; do your research on each state you will enter. Ohio is one state with duty to inform and the first words out of your mouth should be to inform of CCW. Other states have no duty to inform and some in the middle and only inform if asked. With a CCW from Illinois, Florida and Utah I can carry over most of the US but all states are different. Jim.
04fxsts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 06:41 AM   #23

And another thing that a couple of people have alluded to: DO NOT take a gun with you *to* New York or New Jersey. You should be OK traveling through those states, as long as it's locked up, unloaded, and inaccessible from the passenger compartment. Note that an overnight stay - especially in New York - changes things; at that point, New York has become your destination, the way they interpret the law, and you are subject to arrest and trial.

Roger
Old 04-03-2016, 06:47 AM   #24

Unless it's a "must notify" state I would never inform the officer. If asked if I'm carrying any weapons the response should be "I'm not carrying anything illegal".

Quote:
Originally Posted by koda59 View Post
I live in Florida and asked a police office about no need to inform. He said that is correct but if during the stop and the officer even glances a gun you will have a gun pulled and pointed at your face. you then will be put on the ground and have many police offers surrounding you.
For me I would rather keep my hands on the wheel and tell the officer that I have a concealed weapons license
and tell him where it is located.
This officer needs to go back and get some training. If you have not indicated you're a threat, he has no right to take this action and should be fired.
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 08:22 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
I was curious and did a bit of research, if for no other reason to see if my earlier advice was sound.

I found this site,

Do You Have A Duty To Inform When Carrying Concealed? We Look At All 50 States For The Answers Concealed Nation

This site was very informative.

Most places (as seen on their map) do not require you to declare unless asked.

I can't trust this list as a resident of Mississippi . On the map, it shows Ms as a must notify state. The list below that states that Ms is a notify if asked state. The notes below that state that Ms is a no required notification state. If I remember correctly from my carry class, l am only required to notify if asked but I always present my carry permit with my DL. Why risk a misunderstanding because if the officer has called in your plates, they already know.
Old 04-03-2016, 08:37 AM   #26

When pulled over in NM (for no reason but we won't go there again) I kept my hands on the wheel and when asked I handed the LEO my DL And CHL. No prob... Sure it depends on the state... Be nice and honest... He was very nice, just doing his job. As said before, they will know before they talk to you. Best way.
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 08:51 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottandanna View Post

Sadly, I am a multi-gun owner, and I am going full-time, so the guns have to go with me. And I have to figure out how to travel without getting into trouble.
The only legal way is to have a Federal Firearms license multi-state.

Otherwise you can ship them to the state that you are relocating to.

And also, stay OUT of Canada. Don't even think about crossing the border with undeclared weapons unless you want to relinquish your rig, end up in jail and pay a huge fine.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 04-03-2016, 09:55 AM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This is something of great interest to me too as I plan to fulltime eventually and have a CPL from MI. I want always to stay within the law.

I think having a safe in your rig is a wise choice for a couple reasons. When going into town, to the beach, or wherever, you lock your gun in the safe. If someone breaks into the rig, they don't get your guns. You wallet and billfold would also be safe from thieves.

If you are stopped in a state where your CPL license is not honored, if the gun is locked in the safe (without ammunition) then it will lesson your possibility of a problem. Having it's lock on it is also a good idea. Another lock box for the ammunition can lesson issues too.

Of course an unloaded gun in a safe defeats the purpose of carrying. We definitely need an interstate carry law. People who buy guns legally and take the proper training will usually follow the laws and are not a threat to police. With all the attacks on officers nowadays I don"t blame them for being touchy.

I don't plan to speed so hopefully this won't be an issue. Stay safe whatever you do.

beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led