Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-03-2016, 10:09 AM   #29
Senior Member
 
Hooligan's Avatar
 
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Pensacola
Posts: 2,204
New Jersey is reported to be very strict in interpreting the Federal Firearms Transportation Statute. If stopped, they view that Statute as an "affirmative defense". You could be subject to arrest for possession of a firearm and have a judge decide at trial if you met the requirements of the Federal statute.

I recommend that you inform a LEO on initial contact that "I have a concealed carry license and I am carrying"". (avoid "GUN")

Not the time to get cute. The officers are not always working in a safe environment, no need to make his job more difficult.
__________________

__________________
Hooligan, Pensacola, Fl -U.S. Coast Guard 1956-1985
2016 Thor Siesta Sprinter 24ST diesel
Our Pug "Lily" & "George" the Newfoundland
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2016, 10:43 AM   #30
Senior Member
 
phil57's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottandanna View Post
BTW--Thanks for all the feedback!

Apparently, I am not the only person wondering about the legality of carrying guns across borders.

Sadly, I am a multi-gun owner, and I am going full-time, so the guns have to go with me. And I have to figure out how to travel without getting into trouble.

Scott we full time as well and I own several hand guns and rifles. I am a Michigan resident and am required to notify at first contact that I am a CPL holder and if I am armed at that time. I there for do the same where ever I am. I haven't had any issues so far. When traveling in less friendly states like NY I have cased everything and locked all ammunition in the safe. THAT WILL NOT keep me from going to jail if they search my Moho. I knew that before I went and took a chance. Smart or not I had no place to leave my collection.
I also use and have high confidence I the app Legal Heat. It's free and updates automatically.
__________________

__________________
phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 12:24 PM   #31
Senior Member
 
Motor7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJStough View Post
There is that pesky 10th Amendment.
Very true, but all 50 recognize each others drivers license....ccw license should get the same treatment. It's sad that some states seem to use 10A against 2A....which makes no sense to me at all.
__________________
2004 Fleetwood Bounder 32W "Sheila"
Workhorse 8.1, Ally 1000
Motor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 12:55 PM   #32
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottandanna View Post
Our trip is primarily to relocate to OR, so we will be getting to OR, then driving in huge circles throughout the state, trying to cover all the climates, towns, and regions. So Oregon is where we are most concerned about. Not so much the other states.
I'm thinking if you just do what is reasonable you will be OK in OR. We're WV transplants and have lived here since '74. During the few times I've been stopped I wasn't asked about firearms and I didn't volunteer the information. I was polite and if asked I would have told them whatever they wanted to know. I don't have a CC but my older son does. I usually carry at least one firearm while going to and coming from hunting areas and when traveling very far from home. I was surprised a few days ago when I saw a young fellow walking through a fairly large retail store with a firearm strapped to his waist. Some of the more "liberal" cities may have a different view, but I don't think you will find OR in general to be much different than TX.

I sure hated those chiggers down there.

I'm thinking you'll like OR. You will find a lot of variety here. Pretty much something for everyone, but as someone mentioned it's changing, and from my point of view not for the best. That part may may have you longing for TX again.

Steve
__________________
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 01:01 PM   #33
Senior Member
 
Mr_D's Avatar
 
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 28,398
If I was in a state with reciprocity with my three concealed permits I would certainly let the officer know if I was carrying. Better they know than be surprised IMHO.
If in a state with no reciprocity I wouldn't be carrying so no need to mention it.
__________________
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '14 CR-V
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 01:13 PM   #34
Senior Member
 
scottandanna's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Issaquah, WA
Posts: 835
Quote:
Originally Posted by dix39 View Post
I'm thinking if you just do what is reasonable you will be OK in OR. We're WV transplants and have lived here since '74. During the few times I've been stopped I wasn't asked about firearms and I didn't volunteer the information. I was polite and if asked I would have told them whatever they wanted to know. I don't have a CC but my older son does. I usually carry at least one firearm while going to and coming from hunting areas and when traveling very far from home. I was surprised a few days ago when I saw a young fellow walking through a fairly large retail store with a firearm strapped to his waist. Some of the more "liberal" cities may have a different view, but I don't think you will find OR in general to be much different than TX.

I sure hated those chiggers down there.

I'm thinking you'll like OR. You will find a lot of variety here. Pretty much something for everyone, but as someone mentioned it's changing, and from my point of view not for the best. That part may may have you longing for TX again.

Steve
I am leaving Texas primarily because of the weather. My family owns about 700 acres out here, and we are currently living in a free home owned by the family. We are both making good money.

But I cannot stand sitting in the house for 5 or 6 months out of the year. It is too humid to do anything here without changing clothes every hour after sweating through them.

I will not come back to this side of the mountains. If OR politics or whatever goes south, and we don't like it, we will NOT return to Texas. We will head to Washington, Idaho, Canada, if they would accept us. But never coming back to this humidity.

And chiggers. And lately we are being bombarded by asian beetles, biting flies and gnats, and in a couple weeks, our cars will be covered with love bugs.

I have been here since 78, with a year break when my family moved to Kent, WA (just outside of Seattle). And I vowed to get back to the Pacific Northwest as soon as I had the chance. We NOW have that chance!
__________________
2015 24' Rockwood UltraLite 2304DS w/Equal-I-Zer 4-Point 1000lb sway control.
2014 39' Montana 3402RL, with no tow vehicle (full-time)
scottandanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 06:44 PM   #35
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 569
69Stang,
A man was reaching into his truck to get his wallet to get his drivers license and while doing this his shirt rose up and the officer saw the gun. He was put on the ground handcuffed and charged. It didn't matter that he was not doing any thing aggressive. Concealed means concealed in Florida. That is why if stopped I will keep my hands on the steering wheel and before moving them I will let the office know I have a concealed license and am armed. As one county officer said if you shoot someone be sure they are dead, This way he only has to listen to one side. If shot by an officer and you have a gun who will the court listen to?
__________________
2008 Thor, Four Winds Mandalay 40G. Cummins 400 isl. Freightliner chassis
koda59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 09:23 PM   #36
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 103
Just did a little more research on a couple firearm unfriendly states; NJ and RI. NJ restricts the possession of hollow point ammunition to one's own property or gun clubs/firing ranges. RI considers a loaded magazine a loaded firearm even if the magazine is separate from the firearm. These two states and some of the others in that part of the US are why I will not travel to that part of the US. Jim.
__________________
2015 A. C. E. 30.1
2004 F-150 Heritage
2004 Harley-Davidson Softtail Springer FXSTS
04fxsts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 09:40 PM   #37
Senior Member
 
Ray,IN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: North America somewhere
Posts: 13,688
This is the most up-to-date and comprehensive website I've ever found: Gun Laws By State
and even it recommends contacting each state for the latest information.
__________________
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 10:27 PM   #38
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 123
.
I've simply asked various LEOs in different States what they like to see. My Roadside contact is with them; not a Courtroom setting.

A California Stater 'didn't want to see a Firefight'. He went on to explain that an unloaded Weapon in a Case in the Trunk with the Ammo in a different location in the Vehicle would be OK because I could not reach both the Weapon and Ammo from the same location, and become a threat. California is not reciprocal to Colorado. So, I've adopted that 'Standard' in a non-reciprocal State. Some States require that a Gun Case is used, and that it be locked during Transport.

According to 2 Colorado LEOs, the Databases in all 50 States are now linked. So, my CCW Status can be seen on their Vehicle Computers; regardless of State.

My CCW Status is not known when they pull me over [so I was told]. On their return trip to their Vehicle, running my DL THEN tells them of my CCW status. One School-of-Thought is that to hand over my CCW Permit with my DL; Registration; and Proof-of-Insurance preemptively positions me as being one of 'The Good Guys' who bothered to get a CCW Permit.

One reason I got my CCW Permit some Years ago was because covering a Weapon with a Jacket on the Seat; putting it in the Glove Box or Console; or even having it in a Case are considered 'Concealed'. To avoid all that, and to not have to think about it, I got my CCW.

I use Speed Loaders, and keep them in very different parts of the Vehicle from my Weapon in non-reciprocal States. This 'inconvenience' beats Roadside Drama.
.
__________________
Engineer Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 10:43 PM   #39
Senior Member
 
PJStough's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 616
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor7 View Post
Very true, but all 50 recognize each others drivers license....ccw license should get the same treatment. It's sad that some states seem to use 10A against 2A....which makes no sense to me at all.
I believe that the reason for accepting driver's licenses from other states falls under the "commerce clause" in the Constitution, evidently that does not apply to guns being transported inter state.
__________________
Paul & Ann Iowa
2005 Winnebago Voyage 38J
http://stoughrvadventure.blogspot.com/
PJStough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 05:38 AM   #40
Senior Member
 
69Stang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Valdosta, Ga
Posts: 696
Quote:
Originally Posted by koda59 View Post
69Stang,
A man was reaching into his truck to get his wallet to get his drivers license and while doing this his shirt rose up and the officer saw the gun. He was put on the ground handcuffed and charged. It didn't matter that he was not doing any thing aggressive. Concealed means concealed in Florida. That is why if stopped I will keep my hands on the steering wheel and before moving them I will let the office know I have a concealed license and am armed. As one county officer said if you shoot someone be sure they are dead, This way he only has to listen to one side. If shot by an officer and you have a gun who will the court listen to?
I've heard about that and it's ridiculous that the cop still has his job. So in that case it wouldn't matter if you informed him or not, he still would have arrested you for open carry. Is it ok for a cop to write you a ticket for crossing the white line after he pulls you over, when the reason you crossed the white line was because he pulled you over?


You can do what you want. I won't notify the cop of my weapon just like I won't tell him I had pizza for supper last night, both of which are legal.


Most questions they ask are fishing and I will not play that game.

If you run into a bad cop, it doesn't matter what you do, he can make it a long night for you.
__________________
1998 Southwind Storm 34S
2015 Ford Focus Hatchback SE
Retired Air Force 1981-2006
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 06:47 AM   #41
Senior Member
 
stepside454's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Engineer Guy View Post
.
I've simply asked various LEOs in different States what they like to see. My Roadside contact is with them; not a Courtroom setting.

A California Stater 'didn't want to see a Firefight'. He went on to explain that an unloaded Weapon in a Case in the Trunk with the Ammo in a different location in the Vehicle would be OK because I could not reach both the Weapon and Ammo from the same location, and become a threat. California is not reciprocal to Colorado. So, I've adopted that 'Standard' in a non-reciprocal State. Some States require that a Gun Case is used, and that it be locked during Transport.

According to 2 Colorado LEOs, the Databases in all 50 States are now linked. So, my CCW Status can be seen on their Vehicle Computers; regardless of State.

My CCW Status is not known when they pull me over [so I was told]. On their return trip to their Vehicle, running my DL THEN tells them of my CCW status. One School-of-Thought is that to hand over my CCW Permit with my DL; Registration; and Proof-of-Insurance preemptively positions me as being one of 'The Good Guys' who bothered to get a CCW Permit.

One reason I got my CCW Permit some Years ago was because covering a Weapon with a Jacket on the Seat; putting it in the Glove Box or Console; or even having it in a Case are considered 'Concealed'. To avoid all that, and to not have to think about it, I got my CCW.

I use Speed Loaders, and keep them in very different parts of the Vehicle from my Weapon in non-reciprocal States. This 'inconvenience' beats Roadside Drama.
.

Often times the LEOs don't know the ever changing laws .
__________________
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 06:53 AM   #42
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 365
IIRC I've seen video of the guy in Florida, and he made a HUGE mistake by getting out of his pickup in the first place. I'm pretty sure he was not asked or ordered to get out. Asking for trouble. Obviously one key point is to avoid asking for trouble, which several people here have made abundantly clear.

Roger
__________________

__________________
TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
rkresge is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
led



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Move over or get pulled over. Cliffy Navigation, Routes & Roads 18 12-05-2015 02:06 PM
Cop car vs truck and TT NFlcamper iRV2.com General Discussion 31 05-30-2014 06:12 PM
Texas CHL chasfm11 Just Conversation 15 03-25-2010 10:34 PM
Ignition Coil (COP) H. Dossett Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum 3 12-31-2008 05:45 PM
Do Motor Homes ever get pulled over? RVThere Class A Motorhome Discussions 31 11-16-2008 05:55 AM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.