Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2016, 06:37 PM   #1

If I get pulled over in another state, do I still give cop my DL and CHL?

I hope this isn't a banned question, but I have seen other gun questions on here, so hopefully I won't get in trouble. Mods delete if you feel it breaks forum rules.

I will be traveling from TX to OR going through CO, UT, ID and also into WA. We will be full-timing, mostly in OR. .

I have CHL in TX, and all but OR are "reciprocal" states. (OR is an "open carry" state) So, if I get pulled over in all the other states, including OR, do I show the cop both my TX DL and TX CHL, like I am supposed to do in TX?

I am not trying to hide the fact that I have gun(s) in the trailer and/or tow vehicle, and I don't want to get into any trouble along the way if I encounter law enforcement.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2016, 06:52 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottandanna View Post
I hope this isn't a banned question, but I have seen other gun questions on here, so hopefully I won't get in trouble. Mods delete if you feel it breaks forum rules.

I will be traveling from TX to OR going through CO, UT, ID and also into WA. We will be full-timing, mostly in OR. .

I have CHL in TX, and all but OR are "reciprocal" states. (OR is an "open carry" state) So, if I get pulled over in all the other states, including OR, do I show the cop both my TX DL and TX CHL, like I am supposed to do in TX?

I am not trying to hide the fact that I have gun(s) in the trailer and/or tow vehicle, and I don't want to get into any trouble along the way if I encounter law enforcement.
Dude, you're obviously aware that each state has different requirements on your CCW permit - your best bet is to look up each state. For example, here in PA there is no requirement to notify law enforcement that you are doing concealed carry, but it will probably earn you some points with an LEO if/when you get pulled over you just hand over your CCW along with your driver's license.

OTOH, some states absolutely require that you notify an LEO of your CCW status.

IMHO this is a valid discussion thread for the IRV2 forums, as it certainly is an issue. It's something I'm looking very hard at as we plan for our travels this coming camping season. You pretty much gotta know the rules for each state you'll be traveling through and/or staying in.

Here's one possible resource for you:

Concealed Carry Resources - USA Carry

Perhaps even better (I almost overlooked this one):

http://www.handgunlaw.us/

Good luck!

Roger

Old 04-02-2016, 07:08 PM   #3

I agree, do your research.

I cannot say I have traveled in the states you listed with a concealed weapon, but here in the North East there are some downright hostile states and I do not think it would help your situation for a simple traffic stop to add that information to the mix.

If at a situation where you are asked to step out of your vehicle, or are about to let the LEO into your vehicle for any reason, I would state it then.

Again, if you are in line for a citation of some sort, it is different than if you are about to be arrested and detained. The situation is not always the same.

And bottom line, regardless of what I or anyone else says on this forum or elsewhere, there is no substitute for actually knowing the laws from the individual states. They will require some time to research, but I believe well worth it.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 07:12 PM   #4

Don't do nuth'n to get pulled over for
Old 04-02-2016, 07:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3600 View Post
Don't do nuth'n to get pulled over for
Of course, that is the best bet!

I did my research, and all states we are passing through are reciprocal with my TX CHL, but OR is a "No Agreement" state, but is an open carry state. Which I assume is less strict than a concealed carry state. Doesn't even require a license to have it on your person.

So, keeping my gun(s) in the glove box would be concealed, I assume.

I guess when I get to OR I need to put it out on top of the center console, and hand over my TX DL and CHL???

That is the "law", but what is the reality? Should I keep it in the glove box, hand over both IDs, and just tell him "it's in the glove box"?

I know when I was in Arizona, I kept it on my hip much of the time (while driving and hiking, not in town or at the Walmart), and just never worried, as they were open carry, as well.
Old 04-02-2016, 07:24 PM   #6

Our trip is primarily to relocate to OR, so we will be getting to OR, then driving in huge circles throughout the state, trying to cover all the climates, towns, and regions. So Oregon is where we are most concerned about. Not so much the other states.
Old 04-02-2016, 07:35 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
On occasion when I get pulled over as the officer is looking for direction and I am asked for my license so he can send a thank you not I alway present my CP with my License.
If they don't want to see it they will tell you.
But like stated before drive safe and reasonable and avoid the lollipop light show !!

Safe travels
BlueOx Aladdin Toads: Tahoe or 2500HD, BrakeBuddy Classic
mc4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 07:41 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Oregon is not reciprocal as you know Oregon Chl holders have rights you don't .. Some cities depends , ban open Carry in the car. I live here and Oregon is anything but friendly to out of state carry holders re read the rules for Oregon ( I never see anybody open carrying unless it's s demonstration ) if you open carry you will have law enforcement contact I'd bet on it
Oregon may look like the rules are open but this is one of the most liberal anti places you could be. Just my opinion .. And my bro in law cop but ....
Putting your gun on the dash will get you prone on the ground so fast ...just saying
Also Oregon doesn't require you to notify but when they run your plates they know already as a Oregon resident ( I know you aren't ) that you have a permit before they get to the door my bro I law looks for you to notify him or he gets " edgy" lol
BillJinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 07:49 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Arrow

From what I have heard, you should not volunteer info that you have a gun or a gun license, and if asked, you do not have to answer. However, the police may see a refusal to answer as reasonable suspicion to search without a warrant. You should never lie to the police as that alone is a violation. So the recommended advice is to keep quiet about guns unless you are asked if you have any, then answer that yes you do. Recently in Arizona, I said yes, he asked where it was and I said in a case under the seat and then he dropped the subject and give me a speeding ticket. However, many times, disclosing that you have a gun will spark the officer to ask to inspect it, which he may attempt to do with or without your permission. So basically, keep quiet and keep cool is what I was told.

2017 Itasca Solei 36G
"The 5 Shades of Gray"
Suzuki Burgman scooter on the rack
RV Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 07:53 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Vagabond View Post
From what I have heard, you should not volunteer info that you have a gun or a gun license, and if asked, you do not have to answer. However, the police may see a refusal to answer as reasonable suspicion to search without a warrant. You should never lie to the police as that alone is a violation. So the recommended advice is to keep quiet about guns unless you are asked if you have any, then answer that yes you do. Recently in Arizona, I said yes, he asked where it was and I said in a case under the seat and then he dropped the subject and give me a speeding ticket. However, many times, disclosing that you have a gun will spark the officer to ask to inspect it, which he may attempt to do with or without your permission. So basically, keep quiet and keep cool is what I was told.
Be very, very careful with this advice. In general I agree with you, but it's important to know that in several states you are REQUIRED to inform an LEO that you are carrying concealed, or REQUIRED to provide your CCW permit when you are asked for identification. It's very important to know the applicable laws in every state through which you will travel, and plan/act accordingly.

Roger
Old 04-02-2016, 07:58 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I also live in OR. I have been told in my ccw class and by leo's that if the weapon is not accessible while you are driving the car then you are fine. Put your weapon in a case in the trunk or even in the back seat. If it is in a case and not easily accessible you should be fine. Also remember that leo can ask your permission to search your vehicle but without probable cause they cannot search it unless you give the OK. In most of rural Oregon you should be fine if you drive in a reasonable manner and your vehicle is properly maintained, lights work etc.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 08:29 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
I also live in OR. I have been told in my ccw class and by leo's that if the weapon is not accessible while you are driving the car then you are fine. Put your weapon in a case in the trunk or even in the back seat. If it is in a case and not easily accessible you should be fine. Also remember that leo can ask your permission to search your vehicle but without probable cause they cannot search it unless you give the OK. In most of rural Oregon you should be fine if you drive in a reasonable manner and your vehicle is properly maintained, lights work etc.
^this

Keep it three steps away and you should comply with Oregon law. I rode through there last year on the bike and unloaded my 1911, placed the mag in my tank bag & pistol in my rear trunk.

I don't know how long it's gonna take, but we really really need a 50 state compliance rule for ccw. The existing rules are a giant spider web of confusion. We the people, need to demand a better system,
Old 04-02-2016, 08:42 PM   #13

The officer that taught the concealed carry course in Tennessee plainly stated that if and when the officer calls in to check your DL he will be notified that you have a concealed carry permit. I don't know if this applies to all states but I think that it's a good idea to hand the CCP to the officer along with the DL. I don't see any reason to try to keep it from him.
dsurette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 09:19 PM   #14

I was curious and did a bit of research, if for no other reason to see if my earlier advice was sound.

I found this site,

Do You Have A Duty To Inform When Carrying Concealed? We Look At All 50 States For The Answers – Concealed Nation

This site was very informative.

Most places (as seen on their map) do not require you to declare unless asked.

KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led