Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2013, 06:22 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Again?
Do it again?
No way!
It could never be better than it is right now!

Wish away folks. Mine have already come true.

Nuff said?

I agree, except at our age we'll have to.

We went from a popup to DP. Bought our first DP cheap to see if it would work for us. It did, so we custom ordered what exactly what we wanted. Didn't see any point in buying multiple coaches that we didn't like/want. I'm amazed by the number of people I've met that are on their 3-4 coach that they don't like. The money they spent was far more than our order.

If/when we reorder we'll go through all the research all over again.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2013, 07:18 AM   #16

Forest River Owners Club
I would have bought a Winnebago Adventurer first instead of just wishing for one, and having to go through trying out everything under the sun beforehand. Buy your dream RV first. In the end, with all the trading, you will have spent the same amount.
Old 10-24-2013, 07:33 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
1. Follow the advise ( again) to buy my first rig last.
2. Find the floor plan that feels the most comfortable.
3. Locate an older rig treated with tlc that has been maintained at a $$$ I'm willing to pay.

Sorry, have to add . . Do all three many years earlier than I did!
so47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:31 PM   #18

I would have skipped the TT in between the pop ups and gone straight to the Class A. The only thing I learned from the TT is to stick with a quality builder. Not much of that in the TT market. The biggest mistake I made with the MH is I should have ordered the unit with a full point job and not taken the end of the year deal on the same unit that was not full paint. I also would not have spent so much on do dads at Camping World.
D in Davie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:47 PM   #19

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Nothing different, except for sooner in all regards.
Old 10-26-2013, 04:10 PM   #20

For the limited money we had to spend, we looked a lot and bought a small 28' class A . Sure I'd like a diesel pickup and fifth wheel, but I guess after several thousand miles and being able to take our kids (Great Danes) with us, the only thing I'd change within money is a slide or two to get more room..... Nothing wrong with a class A and 13 mpg....
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 05:54 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Started with a used truck and camper when the kids traveled with us. We had that for 18 years.
We then bought a used 32 foot diesel pusher so that we had more room and to see if we really liked Motorhomes and more extensive travel. We also watched people setting up their trailers in the rain and just plain how long it took them to set up. That ended out thoughts about trailers.
After 3 years we decided to get a 34 ft Diesel Winnebago product. We wanted a Winnebago because of the factory support and tech help if needed. Another reason was that so many other RV Companies had gone under or had regrouped and we figured Winny would be around for awhile. I also wanted a Freightliner chassis for all the previous reasons mentioned .
We bought a used 4 year old 34 ft Itasca Diesel with 30,000 miles. We now have 95,000 trouble free miles an know we made the right decision .
I hope my experience helps.
Let the journey begin.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 06:15 AM   #22
SCS

Tiffin Owners Club
I would have bought 40 foot or longer and settled for Dunkin Doughnuts , walking by the Starbucks brand
Old 10-27-2013, 06:41 AM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Our 2000 Mountain Aire was our first RV and we bought it in 2009. The only thing that we would do different would take $500,000 to put a used American Heritage Coach in my garage. So I guess we did it right the first time and in time (6-8 years till retirement) one will come along............
Old 10-27-2013, 07:08 AM   #24

We did it right for 4 times. First was 24ft 5th wheel bought used that we could afford and travelled a lot.

Next was a similar layout used 33ft 5th wheel towed by Diesel. Kept it 13 years.

Now a 39ft 5th wheel bought new after the fall of the economy,made by a company that survived the bad days in 2008.

The last Diesel bought at a great used price that served us well and worth as much now after almost 7 great service years. Same fuel mileage as towing the 1st RV with a 1/4 ton Ranger.

I guess we did very well.

Compared to a friend that went through 4 5th wheels bought new and a used DP. While loosing a lot on each trade for a much facy and newer model. Now has one last 5th wheel that cannot sell going on 3 years. And we bought our 1st 5th wheel together the same week. But we never stop traveling in 20 years.

One thing I should have done sooner is install my 200watts solar panels. But now seam to be the right price.
Old 10-27-2013, 07:17 AM   #25
HHg

My three would be:

1. Rent a motorhome before buying
2. Buy my last coach "first"
3. Have no regrets and never look back; just enjoy the lifestyle!

Hhg
HHg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 06:39 PM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Um, not sure what I would do differently? We went from a tent to a gently used Class A. We have done some work on it, some required, some desired, but we are loving it. I still wouldn't trade the tent days (places I can't get with the MH). We were fully outfitted for tent camping with a nice Coleman kitchen, etc, but my old bones are very happy to crawl onto that Serta mattress at night. We are were we need to be for this time in our lives. Couldn't ask for more.
AZGypsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 06:47 PM   #27

Tiffin Owners Club
What would I have done differently?

Picked a better career and earned more money so that I could have bought a bigger motorhome sooner in my life giving me more time to enjoy it and the ability now to take more time off to go places.

Complains about my MH purchase? None at all.
Old 10-27-2013, 06:58 PM   #28

Gulf Streamers Club
I would have purchase a DP for my first motorhome and not a gas unit.
Okrver is offline   Reply With Quote