Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2011, 05:31 AM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to GSGracie
If it moves and it shouldn't...

use Duct Tape, and if it doesn't move and it should, use WD40.

I had occasion to use this true saying recently when the front bumper on my Honda Odyssey started to part company with the rest of the vehicle at 100kph on the open road. I pulled in to the nearest garage, and with some judicious application of a cheap brand of duct tape, averted a much greater problem.

It took me several weeks to get to a garage to get the bumper re-affixed, and when they had done the job, I had the old duct tape to remove. Well it had REALLY stuck on and would not come off in simple strips the same way as I had applied it. I tried Methylated spirits, turpentine, alcohol, detergent - nothing would shift the sticky residue.

Then I remembered the original mantra at the start of this ramble, and figured that it if the residue was meant to move away from my vehicle and wouldn't, then use WD40! Lo and behold (an old saying that means "Gosh and gee-willickers") the WD40 removed the sticky residue without damaging my paintwork.

I have now added two more items to my "Must Carry" tool box - more duct tape, and a new can of WD40! Is there anything that WD40 can't do? What other interesting uses have you all found for it?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2011, 05:50 AM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
I have an uncle who sore that WD40 relieved his arthritis pain... He did kind of smell funny though.
blackf3504dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 06:30 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
WD40 almost anywhere white grease is recommended. RV steps and garage door come to mind. Had the steps sticking on our last MH. White grease helped, WD40 made them work.

You can use duct tape to make your own suit.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 11:02 AM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
I grew up using WD40 on fishing lures. Apparently fish love the stuff. If I wasn't catching anything, I'd break it out, spray some on, and within a couple hours, I'd be riding my bike home with plenty for dinner.

You can make wallets out of duct tape as well

SyrenSkywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 12:01 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Rather than WD 40, I've gone to using the new dry lub in a spray can. Not as messy and does not attract crud like WD 40.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 12:15 PM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
WD 40 is not really a lubricant it is a water displacement . I know it works great at lots of things but for a real lubricant try silicone spray.
Bob N Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 02:19 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
All I can say is I am amazed.. Finally, of all the folks who have recommended WD-40 for this or that use where a real lubricant is recommended.

Here is someone recommending using it as a CLEANER,, which is exactly what it is.
Old 06-25-2011, 04:26 PM   #8

I have used WD40 to prime engines. Warning: don't use it on electrical circuits, the results can be quite entertaining.
RoyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 08:33 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyM View Post
I have used WD40 to prime engines. Warning: don't use it on electrical circuits, the results can be quite entertaining.
I hear you loud and clear. On the container is says it is great for drying off ignition wires. Well, I did exactly that, but didn't wait for it to dry. I had a rather extensive engine fire until I found my fire extinguisher.
Do not use wd 40 on anything sensitive, it dries to a sticky film that_"attracts and holds dirt", like CAT320 said.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 10:00 AM   #10

I love WD-40. I used it recently to remove the adhesive that someone used to lay vinyl floor covering over the hardwood flooring in my Mountain Aire. Worked the best of anything I found. I've also used WD-40 to remove old set in grease stains on clothing, just spray, rub, let sit about 15 minutes, then re-treat with Shout or other treatment, launder as usual.
Afubar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 05:27 PM   #11

If you're trying to free up rusty/stuck bolts, try PB Blaster; It's like WD-40 on steroids!! And if you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem...
Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 05:38 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
I had a 1956 TriPacer airplane when getting my license and used duct tape on the fabric to keep it together until I finished up getting my license. The instructors and FAA guy that gave me my check ride didn't feel unsafe in it either.

Dave