Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2015, 09:21 AM   #43

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorgso View Post
I sold my company at 55, planning on an early retirement. DW loved her work, and didn't want to stop, so I worked a series of small/parttime jobs until I finally got DW to call it quits a year and a half ago. We were ready for the good life, then cancer came to call, and I spent most of last year in treatment of one kind or another. This year is our catch-up year, and we're making the most of it. Cured of cancer, wife retired, life couldn't be better.

Gary hit the nail squarely on the head. Don't delay your plans. And you'd be surprised at the finances. Our advisor told us we needed to SPEND some of our money, wasn't doing us any good otherwise! We're not full-timers, but do plan to be lotta-timers!
Ed & Becky ... tell that to Dan this weekend at Destin West! Our business is changing and it isn't "fun" anymore. When we finally sell our Alabama house, hopefully we can see an end to this "full time working" thing. See you Friday

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2015, 12:41 PM   #44

Gary- sorry for the loss of your friend. Never easy.

Since folks are sharing, for us knock on wood, we are healthy. Don't know what tomorrow brings but we will continue to work (59yrs old) for the next 3 years.

If we get a green light on health, economy, etc. we will start the transition to selling S & B. Fully knowing we can't cover all our expenses with savings nor do I want to spend it to live a FT lifestyle, I plan on having multiple, modest incomes from various sources (hopefully).

I know one thing, everyday the thought of 'What if' creeps in. We would go tomorrow if we could but....
Good to hear the reminder of why an RV lifestyle is worth chasing after.
Tom

Old 02-28-2015, 06:00 AM   #45

Newmar Owners Club
That is why I decided to retire early at 61. When I went to work on that Monday I did not know if I would have a heart attack or stroke first being I was so stressed out. A Dallas building inspector pushed me to the limit and I gave my 2 week notice an hour later. I left a lot of bonus $$ on the table, but I honestly feel I would not have made it much longer. My blood pressure and headaches dropped drastically after that. Do I think about the $$ I left behind - yes I do. Would I do it differently if I had the chance - probably not.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 06:19 AM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Did almost the same thing and left $$ on the table including bonuses. I think about it too, but like you, sleep at night now and feel 100 percent better. You can't buy that. Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
That is why I decided to retire early at 61. When I went to work on that Monday I did not know if I would have a heart attack or stroke first being I was so stressed out. A Dallas building inspector pushed me to the limit and I gave my 2 week notice an hour later. I left a lot of bonus $$ on the table, but I honestly feel I would not have made it much longer. My blood pressure and headaches dropped drastically after that. Do I think about the $$ I left behind - yes I do. Would I do it differently if I had the chance - probably not.
Old 02-28-2015, 06:48 AM   #47

Had quad bypass at 44, hated my job. I was lucky to have come from grandparents who were wealthy and inherited a few bucks and had a nice 401k. So three years later was able to quit and not look back. That was 15 years ago. Have had some stents but still doing ok.

My take is that don't wait to retire if that's what you want to do and can. However, if what you do to make a living is what you like to do, then perhaps you should keep doing it.
2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 06:57 AM   #48

I retired at 60. It has been a great 4 years and have traveled from Florida to Alaska being on the road for 10 months and also a 4 month road trip to Nova Scotia. I believe that one should retire as soon as financial possible. It does take money to retire and if you have to downsize your home and get rid of stuff then do it. Remember it is only STUFF!!
On the other side retirement isn't for everyone. A lot of people don't have anything to do and work is all they know.
But we RV'rs are a different breed. WE have something to do!! See and travel the USA.
I found the following and have posted it before. Something to think about

Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change ... retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting! Waiting will only leave us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.
Old 02-28-2015, 07:27 AM   #49

Live your dream, don't dream your life. We walked away from our jobs very early. Me 55, wife 48. Lived on a boat for 10yrs (imitating Jimmy Buffet), and now on an RV. Are we rich, no. Do we live on a budget, yes. Would I change anything NOOO! Friends thought us foolish, but after recession stole their home equity and damaged 401k, they now think we're geniuses 😂 . Don't wait too long, this isn't a do over life. We'll be dead a long time.
Old 02-28-2015, 09:53 AM   #50

Just read this in a news clip. Leonard Nimoy's last "tweet".

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory."........LN

Don
Old 02-28-2015, 11:04 AM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Amen!