Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-20-2017, 02:34 PM   #57

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
No problems with my first motor home. I had it 25 years ago.

However, I have a surge protector that I bought right after buying my current motorhome. There are more components in this one so I felt it best to have some protection.

The peace of mind is worth the purchase at least.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog is too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2017, 02:48 PM   #58

Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
I don't have a surge protector, and never have. Thinking about it and came up with this one. https://www.amazon.ca/Technology-Res...otector+for+rv
Anyone have any thoughts? Better than nothing , or just a waste of time?
For the times I do hook up to shore power (not many) would it give me any protection?

2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, GP, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with GSXR 1100T or KLR650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Old 03-20-2017, 02:55 PM   #59

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned View Post
I don't have a surge protector, and never have. Thinking about it and came up with this one. https://www.amazon.ca/Technology-Res...otector+for+rv
For the times I do hook up to shore power (not many) would it give me any protection?
I have the 30 amp version of it. Seems to work fine since I see all the lights and I was camping in Springfield, Illinois a few months ago and a thunderstom blew in.

As you said, better than nothing.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog is too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
Old 03-20-2017, 04:41 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned View Post

I sure hope it does, since we've been using the 30 amp version of it. LOL. I am planning to install the hard wired Progressive Industries unit with the remote monitor before our big trip up to Alaska this summer though.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:23 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4van View Post
The perceived cost/benefit ratio is different for everybody, as is the dollar amount of the potential loss; someone with a $400K DP has much more electrical equipment at risk than someone with a $10K used Class C. Someone who travels alot and uses many different hookups over the course of their travels is much more at risk than someone who most often frequents a single (or two) known campgrounds.
This reminds me of the group of motorcycles riders I hang out with. They will drop 30K on a nice bike and then go buy dollar store motor oil because they think the factory oil is too expensive.

This is a simple equation for me, a $300 purchase against a 45K RV seems insignificant. Have I had a problem in the past, no, do I want one in the future, no. So, I purchased one.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:52 PM   #62
RVM1

If you donít use a surge protector/EMS have you ever had any problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToySprinter View Post
This reminds me of the group of motorcycles riders I hang out with. They will drop 30K on a nice bike and then go buy dollar store motor oil because they think the factory oil is too expensive.

This is a simple equation for me, a $300 purchase against a 45K RV seems insignificant. Have I had a problem in the past, no, do I want one in the future, no. So, I purchased one.

Bravo!
And some bikers will spend $$$$ on a bike but will forego the Road Rash suit. Eh?
So, some put more "skin in the game".
A good EMS is cheap insurance against "getting skinned" from a power issue!
To the OP: do you own an EMS?

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
Old 03-20-2017, 07:11 PM   #63

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToySprinter View Post
Yeah except for the fact that you're not betting $300 against your $45,000 coach, you're betting $300 against several thousand worth of vulnerable equipment. And even then the odds are extremely low that you will actually need the protection (yes, I know that a problem COULD result in your whole coach going up in flames...THOSE odds are even lower). But if we listen to some of the people here, they would have us believe that every RV currently on the road is either burning to the ground as we speak, or soon will be. And that's just not the case.

Those of you who have chosen to purchase the devices... More power to you (literally AND figuratively). But many of us have chosen not to, and trying to shame or insult us does little to change our minds. Not to mention -again- that the OP specifically asked not to debate the merits of the equipment; THAT has already been done ad nauseum.

Sent from my XT1080 using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Old 03-20-2017, 07:18 PM   #64

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I am not trying to shame anyone. I played Russian roulette for 15 months and lost. Many others have been luckier.

Old 03-20-2017, 07:37 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4van View Post
But if we listen to some of the people here, they would have us believe that every RV currently on the road is either burning to the ground as we speak, or soon will be. And that's just not the case.
What people don't talk about enough are the alien abductions from RVs on BLM land.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:38 PM   #66

Forest River Owners Club
For what it's worth, DW and I purchased a spot at an RV campground and moved right in. Even though the previous owners had owned the lot for several years I still used a surge suppressor/power device before plugging in for the first time. Guess what? The power pedestal was mis-wired and out of phase and who knows for how long. I was there while the maintenance folks were checking things out and as it turns out the plug at the pedestal was not wired correctly. Their multi-meter said everything was fine but I trusted my suppressor more. They actually used my surge suppressor on the lots next to ours to verify that our lot was not wired in phase but the neighboring ones were. It got fixed while I was standing over them.

To me it's just cheap insurance.......
Old 03-20-2017, 09:17 PM   #67

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
I am not trying to shame anyone.
Perhaps not, but I would consider every single one of the following comments, directly from this thread, as insulting, shaming, or scaring:

"And it did for one 3 year old boy one day.

Boys Death Caused by Improperly Grounded Camper

To me it is just insane to play "Russian Roulette" with your RV.

obviously you missed my point. I guess I was TOO subtle.

Get it now?

I was going to respond to your post with my experience, until I realized that your knowledge and experience far surpassed mine.

It's called the Ostrich effect.

So this whole thread is pointless in my opinion.

Last post on a useless thread which Podivin so clearly pointed out.

Yes, I don't think the OP understands what the electrical issues are.

Not using electrical protection is like like unprotected sex"

So quite frankly​, every one of these responses is pointless and irrelevant to what the OP asked, and accomplishes nothing other than to make yourselves feel superior to him, at least in your own minds.

Old 03-20-2017, 09:17 PM   #68

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexters View Post
What people don't talk about enough are the alien abductions from RVs on BLM land.
Except for this one... THIS one I like.

Old 03-20-2017, 10:59 PM   #69

Early tbi6mo this month at FMCA Chandler my Progressive unit shut down for low cycles.
Generators burped. Others had problems but not us. Just a couple of 2 minute restarts
Old 03-20-2017, 11:08 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgvtexan View Post
Never been struck by Lightning either, but when the horn blows I get off the course.

My career path led me to check the pedestal with my trusty Fluke before plugging in. I have reported many, over the years. Just last Fall I found a reverse wired 30 amp. It was at a large event with temp. service. When the electrician arrived to investigate , he was surprised, as the equipment had been used for years and never reported. He asked how I found it. With my surge protector/EMS tester. I got tired of using the Fluke years ago. YMMV.
I still carry my Fluke.

Tags
ems, problems