Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2017, 04:40 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
If you don’t use a surge protector/EMS have you ever had any problems?

I would like to know how long you have been camping without the surge protector/EMS and what, if any problems you have had.

I am not looking for a discussion of whether or not you think it is needed; there are plenty of those already. So please, stick to the subject.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2017, 04:54 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I hope this response meets your desired criteria, if not, I can't help you.

I did not have one in my 1st MH and had a serious electrical issue because of it. After 15 months of no problems, I plugged into a miswired outlet and lost all of the 110 items plus most of the 110 wiring. I have one in the new RV and won't plug in without it.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
Old 03-19-2017, 05:01 PM   #3

No problems.
Old 03-19-2017, 05:02 PM   #4

no issues...
Old 03-19-2017, 05:06 PM   #5

1977 Winnebago Brave 7 years no problems/1996 Tioga 13 years no problems/2008 Fleetwood Expedition 9 years no problem.

I figured that I have been lucky so far----just installed a progressive hard wired 50 amp surge protector.
Old 03-19-2017, 05:10 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
23 years 2 motorhomes, 100,000 miles no problems.
Old 03-19-2017, 05:19 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
16 years in TT, 5 years in 5er, no problems at all. Currently have MH and Progressive 50P but have yet to plug into a bad post.
Old 03-19-2017, 05:19 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
I hope this response meets your desired criteria, if not, I can't help you.

I did not have one in my 1st MH and had a serious electrical issue because of it. After 15 months of no problems, I plugged into a miswired outlet and lost all of the 110 items plus most of the 110 wiring. I have one in the new RV and won't plug in without it.
Yes, that is the kind of information I am looking for.
Thank you.
Old 03-19-2017, 05:27 PM   #9

Our new to us DP has one built into the transfer switch. So far hasn't dropped out for any issues in two years except, when plugging into a 110 extension cord at my shop just to keep batteries up. Someone cut the ground plug off of cord and the surge protector wouldn't connect as it sensed the ground missing. Not a biggie but glad I noticed this before we needed this cord on a site. Now I have a new cord only for rv.
2000 Country Coach Allure #30476
2007 Subaru Outback
Winters in Ocala, summers in Pa and North East US.
Old 03-19-2017, 05:28 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Did not use a surge protector or an EMS on our Class C, had it for 11 years without a problem.

Have an EMS but did not have a surge protector on our current coach Had it plugged in at the house and a lightening strike near by which took out the lightening arrester on the pole feeding the house. Took out 1 TV in the house, didn't thing anything else was damaged until getting ready to leave for a trip and then found the EMS circuit board fried. $450 later I was up and running but soon installed a Progressive Surge protector.

The next trip we took had one instance of reversed polarity and another with very low voltage.

Will not go without a surge protector again, not that intend to buy another coach.
Old 03-19-2017, 05:50 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
If you stay in one place that has perfect power along with updated power supply lines, pedestals, etc. you may never need any protection other than a surge protector for those unexpected power surges that occur occasionally with every power company across the country.

In fact if you are not using an EMS power protection system you may never know how bad either low voltage or high voltage situations may have affected your components that have motors such as your A/C's until much later when they just stop working. When that happens you just chalk it up to, well whatever.

Obviously, you will know right away if you had a floating neutral because most 120 VAC stuff will be fried from the 240 VAC if your RV uses 50 amp service but you may not realize you have a missing ground (Hot Skin) until one day when the ground is wet and you touch the side of your RV or the door handle in your bare feet and experience a rather strong tingle which in some cases can kill you.

And it did for one 3 year old boy one day.

Boys Death Caused by Improperly Grounded Camper

To me it is just insane to play "Russian Roulette" with your RV.

Your RV, your money, your choice.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 03-19-2017, 06:14 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Obviously, you will know right away if you had a floating neutral because most 120 VAC stuff will be fried from the 240 VAC if your RV uses 50 amp service but you may not realize you have a missing ground (Hot Skin) until one day when the ground is wet and you touch the side of your RV or the door handle in your bare feet and experience a rather strong tingle which in some cases can kill you.

And it did for one 3 year old boy one day.

Boys Death Caused by Improperly Grounded Camper

To me it is just insane to play "Russian Roulette" with your RV.

Your RV, your money, your choice.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
I agree Richard. I still don't quite understand what point the OP is trying to make? There's a saying, "just because your baby cries all night, doesn't mean it's right"
Old 03-19-2017, 06:41 PM   #13

17 lucky years of rv ownership without a big surge protection device.

Have lost power at the post due to stormy weather and worn out breakers.

Never lost any equipment or anything.

I always use a little plug light to check for proper neutral and ground before plugging in.
Old 03-19-2017, 06:48 PM   #14

I didn't use one when camping in my tent. since then, I've used one with both the 5th wheel and the M/H.
Closed Thread

Tags
ems, problems