Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-04-2019, 02:17 PM   #1

If You Had A $100K Budget

So, DW and I are working with an approximate $100K to purchase an RV. We would like to go near full time RVing (RV for 3 or 4 months then in S&B for a month or two then back to 3 or 4 months in the RV). Options for us would possible be a 2017ish F-350 DRW and a 2015ish mid-level 5th wheel or a 2008ish 36’ DP. We have spent over a year looking at 5th wheels and MH’s and found the used 5th wheels to be mostly junk and the MH being much better quality inside but lot’s of “stuff” to learn and go bad. We figure the yearly maintenance will be much higher with the MH than the 5th wheel and pickup. We’ve done the pro’s and con’s of each and in the long run they pretty much balance out for us. Also have battled the thought of driving the dually for second vehicle versus the added expense of a toad.

Again, just the wife and myself, just turned 76, been RVing most of our adult lives with slide in pickup campers, a small Class C, 30’ Montana 5th wheel and the last 10 years with a 45’ motor cruiser boat with twin 250 HP diesel engines in the Puget Sound of Washington State. Now we’re wanting to go back to doing a few years of RVing. Up to now I have been mostly a DIY sort of guy unless it was major engine work but finding out that some of this work is getting more difficult to do so will probably have to start hiring some help. First couple of years will be a lot of miles to see more of the US then probably find a winter location to settle down. RVing in the summertime in the NW.

So, what would you do if you had a $100K budget? Newer pickup with possibly some warranty left, and a later model mid-level 5th wheel OR a 10-12 year old motor home.
jstauffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2019, 02:24 PM   #2

If you plan on being on the move a lot, I would go for the Class A. The comfort level for traveling is much higher. If you plan to seldom move, and stay put for a month at a time, the fiver might be the better choice. Its not that riding in a pickup is that bad, its just hard to beat the ability to use the washroom, make lunch, have pets with room to move etc. Its also nice if its raining out, to not even have to go outside the rv to set up. Just pull in, drop the jacks, and relax. Most A s have on board generators, whereas many fivers don't. For constant travel and boondocking, the onboard genny is hard to beat.
Old 12-04-2019, 02:32 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
One owner Class A and a Jeep of some kind.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 02:42 PM   #4

I'm kinda in your situation. Will have 150k. To most 200k for RV. Been going back and forth between 5th or DP. Have decided on DP. We have 35" gasser now and is fine.
But going permanent full time we decided on DP for quality, build, ease of our jeep that will continue to be our tow. I agree and found many 5th not up to quality or finish as to a used DP. Basically came down to us deciding that when traveling we want to be in a class a then a Ford f450/f350.
Love being able to use bathroom while traveling. Or stretch out on the couch and not stop.

We will be doing more traveling so the DP is for us. My wife loves the Vista while driving.
I'll admit the floorplans of some 5th are great but just so poorly made. Unless your getting a high end one...which is out of our budget and yours too.

Love driving my MH. Drive it to work all the time too. I use it like a cat many times. Just like to be in it.
Bobbafett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 03:02 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Lots of very nice well maintained DPs out there. Many can be had for less than a 100k and you get all the advantages of a DP. Toads are cheap.
pduggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 05:25 PM   #6

I’ll be in the minority but I would rather have a 2-3 year old higher end gas coach as opposed to a ten year old DP. I’ve owned both and when you are on the road the DP is superior but once you park and put the jacks down there is really not that much difference.
Old 12-04-2019, 07:47 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
X2 on Class A for mobility. But if your lifestyle will find you staying in one place for months at a time, then a fifth wheel offers a bit more room.

Part of your decision, however, has to be your full-time driver. Do you want a big pickup for side excursions and errands? Traditional toads for a Class A tend to be more parking lot friendly.

Your budget seems a little light if you want a quality fifth wheeler if you don't already have the truck.

While most will favor a DP over a gasser for full time, that is mostly based on size. If you want Class A 34' or less, then a gasser would be fine. Anything bigger, then hands down a diesel is the way to go. My own gasser struggles with mountains, especially loaded and towing.

Good luck with your research. Hope to see you out there soon.
RI Expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 08:22 PM   #8

Foretravel Owners Club
Personally..I much prefer a "Top Drawer" DP.
ie: Country Coach/Beaver/Foretravel/Newell or a Prevost conversion..
Coaches built prior to 2008, you will not have to deal with the environmental engine shackles the Gov. instituted.

As for the monetary restraints. Just go backwards in years until you find the price range you are comfortable with..and ...
As with ANY USED Rig....
Get a full and in-depth Inspection by a person very familiar with the rig manufacturer of your choice.....BEFORE You lay any money down..
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 08:28 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
I would echo what most have said with regards to class A vs 5th wheel and truck. One item you may want to consider with the budget and the older coaches is to allot 10-15% of the 100k for upgrades and repairs. I am a fan of the older DP’s and if you find a good one they can be a great value. Good luck!
Old 12-04-2019, 09:47 PM   #10

Over the years we have had every class rv made. Full timed in 45’ class c. Part timed in 5th wheel before that. If I had it to do again I would go with the 5th wheel. Way cheaper to maintain. There are plenty of used trucks and high quality 5ths out there. Just need to look. The longer I was on the road the more I realized shorter was better for what we wanted to do. 5th wheels also have some great floor plans. Good luck with what ever way you go.

Enjoy the journey
Old 12-04-2019, 10:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger G View Post
I’ll be in the minority but I would rather have a 2-3 year old higher end gas coach as opposed to a ten year old DP. I’ve owned both and when you are on the road the DP is superior but once you park and put the jacks down there is really not that much difference.
I would disagree only with floorplans and size.
Nice gasser plans out there but much more livable in a 44DP. Also the amount of slides to increase square footage. DP has advantage there
Bobbafett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 08:35 AM   #12

We presently have a 2008 F-350 SRW but if we go the 5th wheel route would be trading it in for a DRW so that will help with the 100K budget. I figure I can buy a 2017 F-350 DRW and a 32' mid level 5th wheel in the 2012-2016 era for around the $100K budget.

But again, the quality of the 5th wheel's we have looked at is just not there. The only one I have been in that you could not feel the floor give a little while walking around in was the Northwood Manufactuing 29.5 and 32.5 but those used ones are hard to come buy and after you get past their frame they are pretty much just like the rest. Poor quality construction, light springs, suspension, brakes, most of the cargo carrying capacity is in the front adding kingpin weight, etc. But like Trapperbob say's they are much cheaper to maintain then the MH's.
jstauffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 10:00 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

You are looking at $50k-$60k just for the truck, though the trade-in will help. Assuming $50k left in the budget for the trailer, if you want a really nice one you are looking at 10 year old brands such as Carriage/Carri-Lite, Doubleday Suites, etc. Or maybe an upper-mid range such as an FR Cardinal.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 10:10 AM   #14

There are nice brand new fifth wheels available for not much over the magical 50K number. Getting away fron Ford you can buy fully loaded Ram or GM duallies a couple of years old and still have money left over in your 100K budget.
Remember ALL RVs will depreciate. Add in maintenance, insurance, and upkeep and that 100K MH could wind up costing you an additional 20K in 5 years or less.
MHs have some convienence, but at what price?