Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-08-2019, 04:02 AM   #57

This isn't camping related, but it fits this thread perhaps.

I have been bitten by dogs TWICE in my life.

Both times it was by Poodles (different dogs, different times).

And, both times it was immediately after the owner said "Oh he/she won't bite."

I hate those words!!!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2019, 10:26 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJShiflet View Post
This isn't camping related, but it fits this thread perhaps.

I have been bitten by dogs TWICE in my life.

Both times it was by Poodles (different dogs, different times).

And, both times it was immediately after the owner said "Oh he/she won't bite."

I hate those words!!!
Reminds me of a joke.
"Does your dog bite?"
Reply: "No, my dog doesn't bite."
"Hey, you said your dog didn't bite. It just bit me."
Reply: "That's not my dog. You asked if my dog bit."
Old 10-10-2019, 03:22 PM   #59

We stayed one night at a KOA. Certain breeds were not allowed. Fine. But when the unfenced property has every COJO within a mile just walking or running into the campground, why even have the breed restrictions. Of course, most were checking out the grills and fire pits for snacks.
Old 10-10-2019, 03:37 PM   #60

Ugh, this thread has been going on for 6 days and follows the same pattern as every other dog thread. Can we start a diesel vs gas thread now?

[emoji12]
Old 10-10-2019, 03:45 PM   #61

Winnebago Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Yoders2Go
It isn't the dog! It's the owner. Please don't take it out on the untrained, abused, neglected dog. These people shouldn't have dogs, in an RV, OR at home!
Old 10-10-2019, 03:58 PM   #62

Dogs

I've come to the conclusion that there are a lot of people that won't go camping without a dog. We don't have a dog, but we often have to put up with other peoples barking dogs. Last week there was a dog that started barking at 6 a.m. and didn't stop until almost midnight. It would stop periodically off and on I guess to eat and crap, but that was it. In the camping world I guess we were lucky it wasn't 2 dogs!
Old 10-10-2019, 04:19 PM   #63

Interesting thoughts

We travel with up to 7 dogs, the Newfoundlands are 120 to 190 pounds. I am more concerned with ankle biters than big dogs. Of the 7, I have one that is slightly dog aggressive and I watch her very closely when we are out. The dogs are trained to lie down when they are approached by a small dog, YES, they have been bitten and blood drawn. Bottom line: it is the owner not the dog. I have known RV'rs that have traveled with up to 40 dogs. I distinguish between dogs and pets with pets being more confrontational. Our dogs have both Conformation and Obedience titles.
Old 10-10-2019, 04:28 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo_RV_Guy View Post
Outside? You jest, good sir!

Kids today don't know what "outside" means unless they see a picture or video on their portable electronic device.

As for dogs - I'm an animal lover and want to like almost any domesticated critter on 4 legs but some dogs raise the hair on my neck for the reasons mentioned up thread. I'm not above dispatching any animal that is aggressive toward me or other people, or that are running free and threatening my pets, and this is based on *farm living* where a neighbor's dog, found around your chickens or other livestock, was fair game for extreme prejudice.

For those not familiar with the way rural farming works: If your dog is on my property around my livestock, I call you to come get it. If it comes back, or has attacked my livestock, I shoot your dog unless you do it first. Not RVing, but the Code of the West.
Amen to that.
Irresponsible owners don’t value their dogs or other people. Truly makes me sad for the dogs. I’m sure not every state is a open carry state so I often wonder how I’ll protect my self and my dogs. I would have zero problem shooting a dog that was attacking a child or person. The law see’s dogs as property (shame) and deadly force defending property just won’t fly in our courts because it’s against the law. So I’m thinking mace. Kinda like painting a Red Bull’s eye on a dog after it got loose and went after my chickens. Wasn’t the dogs fault it got out (is a good dog doing what dogs do). My neighbors asked about it even posted on Face Book. Told them I didn’t want to be a bad neighbor. It was a real time warning. They laugh about it now but I was serious, still am.
They built a proper fence only after the fact. Irresponsible people sheesh!
Old 10-10-2019, 04:43 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinboy View Post
Sounds like folks are in need of help to enjoy a peaceful stay at parks. How about park owners enforcing their rules?
If it isn't dogs its the all night partiers around the fire with loud cackling or their favorite music wafting across the park? The rules don't seem to apply to them. They live in a different world.

Signs of the times........

Few care anymore.

We mostly boondock for those and the dog reasons.

We will be quitting the RV scene soon, because the lack of propriety gets disgusting.
Old 10-10-2019, 04:46 PM   #66

I’m a telephone man. We carry lots of tools. But the one we keep handy is the giant flat blade screw driver, nicknamed the dog killer.
Never had to use it. But the scariest dog I ever encountered was when I was walking on top of a wall that separated two yards. My pole was in the back yard corner of one.
The dog was a St Bernard and he wanted my throat or boots. He was jumping almost as high as the wall trying to get me. Drooling and snarling. Very scary.
Old 10-10-2019, 04:58 PM   #67

What owners of aggressive dogs forget is that they are a HUGE potential civil liability. If a aggressive dog bites someone who didn't provoke it the owner is open to civil suits. THEN add the moral guilt if the owner has any conscious of the injury or disfigurement to a child or adult.
We had a guy in the County who owned a well known pit with a bad attitude that we attempted to serve a warrant on several times. The dog would usually meet us at the patrol car growling and barking which gave the subject plenty of notice to who was in the drive. Finally the Sheriff gave the order if we were out of the car and the dog acted aggressive in any way to dispose of it instantly. Fortunately we finally caught the guy at his girlfriend's house.

"Kinda" of a funny story that happened years before I joined the department a Judge was hearing a case, warm summer day with the Courthouse windows open as it wasn't air conditioned yet. A dog in a yard next to the Courthouse would not be quiet........the Judge ordered the Bailiff to silence the dog by any means..............Bailiff went to the neighbors house.......no one home........a gunshot was heard and the Judge was finally able to hear the case undisturbed. I would hate to imagine the public outcry if that happened in today's world.
Old 10-10-2019, 05:12 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by augerdogger View Post
We travel with up to 7 dogs, the Newfoundlands are 120 to 190 pounds.
That's a herd.
Old 10-10-2019, 05:24 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor7 View Post
I just did a motorcamping trip to the NE....11 days and 3400 miles and I camped in State and National parks and the last night in WV kinda put me over the edge. Many of us here have dogs, we have 3 so I get it, it's one reason we travel by MH/camper. But, time and time and time again I witness folks that bring their dog(s), tie them up outside their camper and let them bark, and bark and bark at EVERYTHING and NOTHING all day long.

Even better is the dog that aggressively growls/barks/lunges at every other dog it sees on a walk while yanking it's handler all over the place. Those people are generally naive about the dangerous capability of their dog, and once something happens it's too late to reconsider options.

All dogs can bark at something(SQUIRREL!) and I am not talking about an occasional outburst. But, I have to ask those here that have a dog that can't control itself to just leave the animal at home and not subject everyone at a campground to the constant annoyance and/or aggressive behavior.

I rolled in, set up camp and heard barking the whole time. Big dogs, more than one. So I walked up to the dumpster to throw some trash away and yep, there were three 80lb + plus dogs tied up outside a camper while the owners were inside enjoying the A/C. The barking was subdued and a somewhat steady clip until a kid on a bike, or a person walking, or oh man a person walking another dog. Then it became a feverish kennel-like roar. Two sites away sat the "Camp Host" who was regularly making rounds in his golf cart. It was over two hours until dark and then they brought the dogs inside.

While that was going on, a couple walking two dogs met a person walking one(none of these are the barking behemoths). The guy with the solo dog had to keep both hands on the lead and lean back on his heels while his dog lunged, snapped and growled at the other two cowering dogs.

The only consolation was, I was up at dawn, packed and rolling before the Snotts dog skit began it's replay for the day. Ok, I'm stepping down off the soapbox now...carry on.
Leave those dogs at home along with a junky old contractor generator that sounds like a lawn mower.
I put them both in the same category.
Old 10-10-2019, 05:37 PM   #70

When I read the title of this post, I thought here we go, a guy complaining about the dog that barks once in a while. I was wrong. What the op said in the first post is perfectly stated and I agree 100%. We take our grandogs camping all the time. Of course, like the OP said, they bark once in a while at a squirrel, but they are basically well behaved. And we never leave them tied up unattended. Part of the reason for taking them is to spend time with them.
Closed Thread

Tags
dogs