Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2019, 07:02 AM   #1

If you have barking or aggressive dogs...leave them home please!

I just did a motorcamping trip to the NE....11 days and 3400 miles and I camped in State and National parks and the last night in WV kinda put me over the edge. Many of us here have dogs, we have 3 so I get it, it's one reason we travel by MH/camper. But, time and time and time again I witness folks that bring their dog(s), tie them up outside their camper and let them bark, and bark and bark at EVERYTHING and NOTHING all day long.

Even better is the dog that aggressively growls/barks/lunges at every other dog it sees on a walk while yanking it's handler all over the place. Those people are generally naive about the dangerous capability of their dog, and once something happens it's too late to reconsider options.

All dogs can bark at something(SQUIRREL!) and I am not talking about an occasional outburst. But, I have to ask those here that have a dog that can't control itself to just leave the animal at home and not subject everyone at a campground to the constant annoyance and/or aggressive behavior.

I rolled in, set up camp and heard barking the whole time. Big dogs, more than one. So I walked up to the dumpster to throw some trash away and yep, there were three 80lb + plus dogs tied up outside a camper while the owners were inside enjoying the A/C. The barking was subdued and a somewhat steady clip until a kid on a bike, or a person walking, or oh man a person walking another dog. Then it became a feverish kennel-like roar. Two sites away sat the "Camp Host" who was regularly making rounds in his golf cart. It was over two hours until dark and then they brought the dogs inside.

While that was going on, a couple walking two dogs met a person walking one(none of these are the barking behemoths). The guy with the solo dog had to keep both hands on the lead and lean back on his heels while his dog lunged, snapped and growled at the other two cowering dogs.

The only consolation was, I was up at dawn, packed and rolling before the Snotts dog skit began it's replay for the day. Ok, I'm stepping down off the soapbox now...carry on.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2019, 07:09 AM   #2

This might qualify as the shortest thread on record, because you covered it all!
Old 10-04-2019, 07:17 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Agree.

While out in Yuma last winter a friends 10 lb dog was attacked by a 20 lb dog while walking his little one.

The owner of the attack dog was irritated that he grabbed the other dog and threw it away from his. They are lucky he did not do more to it.

Every time we saw this dog it was lunging at other dogs.
Old 10-04-2019, 08:04 AM   #4
Commercial Member

oh, but he's a nice dog. he's so friendly. he wouldn't hurt anyone.
that is until he does.
i see this all the time.an owner says he does't bite, as the dog is lunging against his leash. if he has one.
campground owners have little control of animals. it up to campers to protect themselves. we avoid walking our dog in areas with aggressive dogs.
and its not always the pit bulls. little dogs are just as bad.
Old 10-04-2019, 08:13 AM   #5

Always amazes me how owners can ignore their barking dog(s) for hours on end. Makes me wonder why they even have a dog(s)?
Old 10-04-2019, 08:14 AM   #6

I've also got three dogs, Boston Terrier's, and they are always with us, never tied outside. Many times when walking we've been attacked by dogs that the owners say are not vicious. Many times the owners are taking their dogs out of the rig and putting them into the car with no leash just as I'm walking by. Man, that burns me up. I try to carry pepper spray for such events.
Old 10-04-2019, 08:18 AM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamisl View Post
Agree.

While out in Yuma last winter a friends 10 lb dog was attacked by a 20 lb dog while walking his little one.

The owner of the attack dog was irritated that he grabbed the other dog and threw it away from his. They are lucky he did not do more to it.

Every time we saw this dog it was lunging at other dogs.

We may need to get rid of that dog this winter. Or the owner and the dog.

ron and pebbles

Old 10-04-2019, 09:05 AM   #8

Most dog owners don't want to believe their dogs are mean. I used to deliver LP gas to residents and can't tell you how many owners claimed their dogs were all bark and no bite. One lady even insisted her dog was friendly and while she was talking, the dog snuck up behind me and bit my leg! I learned that if a dog showed their teeth, I would crack open the propane hose nozzle and blast them.
I used to trust dogs, not so much since that job.
Old 10-04-2019, 09:16 AM   #9

It’s because dog owners are like parents of small children. They think the kid/dog is the more important than anyone or anything. Sorry folks, your kid or dog mean nothing to me so keep them quiet and out of the way!
Old 10-04-2019, 09:26 AM   #10
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
The dog owners you speak of are exactly like today's parents. They put their kids outside unsupervised and ignore what they are doing also.
Old 10-04-2019, 09:35 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdracr39 View Post
The dog owners you speak of are exactly like today's parents. They put their kids outside unsupervised and ignore what they are doing also.
Outside? You jest, good sir!

Kids today don't know what "outside" means unless they see a picture or video on their portable electronic device.

As for dogs - I'm an animal lover and want to like almost any domesticated critter on 4 legs but some dogs raise the hair on my neck for the reasons mentioned up thread. I'm not above dispatching any animal that is aggressive toward me or other people, or that are running free and threatening my pets, and this is based on *farm living* where a neighbor's dog, found around your chickens or other livestock, was fair game for extreme prejudice.

For those not familiar with the way rural farming works: If your dog is on my property around my livestock, I call you to come get it. If it comes back, or has attacked my livestock, I shoot your dog unless you do it first. Not RVing, but the Code of the West.
Old 10-04-2019, 09:58 AM   #12

Ok, so we have a dog that is not dog friendly. He was attacked 3 times as a 3 month old puppy by the German Shepard next door. That was 12 years ago, and we still haven't spoken, but I digress. He sees every dog as a threat. When we are camped and outside, the dog is in a fenced in area, right next to us. We do not let him bark non stop. I have even put up a solid barrier to block his view, so he can't see any dogs. He absolutely loves people. everybody is or in his eyes will be his friend. When my wife walks him, she will do her best to avoid other dogs, and when we go inside, he comes with us. We also do not leave him in the motorhome alone.... ever.

The point I'm trying to make is, if the dog or dogs are monitored properly, there shouldn't be a problem.
Old 10-04-2019, 10:38 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Grand Design Owners Club
If you have barking or aggressive dogs...leave them home please!

Training is what’s lacking .
As far as I’m concerned there are no bad dogs....
Just bad owners!
I will probably be in the dog house for this comment but that’s the way I feel.
I lost my buddy in June but he was very obedient, it took lots and lots of work and consistency by both my wife and I but it was WELL worth the effort.
He was a big boy, and more than once we were complimented by folks that said they were very impressed by how well he “minded” us.
I wish every dog owner would just invest time in their animal so we wouldn’t have issues like OP talks about.
Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 10-04-2019, 12:05 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Parks have rules

Sounds like folks are in need of help to enjoy a peaceful stay at parks. How about park owners enforcing their rules?
If it isn't dogs its the all night partiers around the fire with loud cackling or their favorite music wafting across the park? The rules don't seem to apply to them. They live in a different world.
Closed Thread

Tags
dogs