Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2014, 06:29 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
It's called the "me" mentality.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2014, 06:52 AM   #16

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Unfortunately the rudeness we speak of is not limited to the campground. It is through out daily life in supermarkets, movie theaters, parks, highways and many other places including the workplace. My observation is that manners are taught by parents to children but over the generations that practice has faded. Many parents don't have good manners to pass on, and so it goes on & on.

Old 04-14-2014, 06:59 AM   #17

I know, I've been teaching them for 40+ years, and they are NOT getting better!
soricobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:04 AM   #18

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Honestly I didn't know there were rules except running the Gennie. I thought it was common sense-able. The other half takes care of that part of the trip.
Guess I will half to ask about them. I just want to get to the site and my chair.
Boondocking is starting to look better and better everyday,
JM,
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:25 AM   #19

Maybe I'm the glass is half full type of person. Last camping trip my next campsite neighbor stopped me on the "street" while I was out walking my dog and we talked about the weather, pets, sports, the four letter word (work), and then he mentioned seeing me back the coach into the very difficult to get to site. He said to make sure I thanked that beautiful woman who was backing me in, and then gave me information about the dump station access with a large coach.

We said our goodbyes and walked a bit further and six kids in the 6 to 12 year old range were playing in the street. They all stopped what they were doing and stepped to the side of the street while we passed. One asked if he could pet my dog, and showed he knew the proper way to approach a dog when I told him they could pet Nilla. With the 6 children petting my dog, the parents came out and in a normal voice (not the loud demeaning type of voice) asked the oldest if he has asked permission to pet the dog.

After we got back to our site my back of us site neighbor came over and apologized for their group yelling around midnight. University of Kentucky had just made it into the finial 2 and he said he got carried away. Then he invited us over the next night to to watch UK try and win the championship.

These people are the majority of the campers. The others are the minority.
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:29 AM   #20

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gacamp View Post
I understand the OP's rant about inconsiderate people but "read the rules"? I don't think I have ever seen such a rule in writing in any campground I have been in. Learn to be considerate but learn to read?
We have FTed for 7 years, and actually find it very common to see "not cutting through others sites" posted in the campgrounds rules. For instance, I just looked at the one we are currently at, and it says the following----"Respect other campers privacy. Please do not walk or permit pets to walk through other campsites."

I tend to think as others have mentioned, that most people who do it are just totally unaware of how poor etiquette it is. But then again, I'm able to FT, explore this incredible country, go where I want, when I want, so I have very few things that I allow to get me too excited. This one just doesn't quite make it on the list for me. I try to keep in mind the bit of advice I was given years ago---"when they dig up your bones in a hundred years--will it make any difference". When put in that perspective, so many things just fall off the list of things to worry about.
bigmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:46 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
I tell neighbors they can walk thru my site, in FL, to get to the cub house. This is an >55 campground with no children.

When we travel we mostly do not stay in campgrounds

Another subject, but it's the dog owners that really bug me.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 08:14 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
We were sitting outside having lunch when a young boy
ran through our site. He hit his head on the awning bar,
knocked him to the ground. I picked him up, asked him if he was OK,
and he ran off.
One hour later the police showed up with the boy and his dad.
The father wanted us charged for having our awning out without
"red flags" on it. The police officer obviously was a camper, and
tried to reason with the guy. All he could say was that he was going
to sue us.
Never heard any more about it, but sure left us wondering what
has happened in this world.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:27 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyd View Post
We were sitting outside having lunch when a young boy
ran through our site. He hit his head on the awning bar,
knocked him to the ground. I picked him up, asked him if he was OK,
and he ran off.
One hour later the police showed up with the boy and his dad.
The father wanted us charged for having our awning out without
"red flags" on it. The police officer obviously was a camper, and
tried to reason with the guy. All he could say was that he was going
to sue us.
Never heard any more about it, but sure left us wondering what
has happened in this world.
Wow. Just wow.

Travelling With Black Labrador Retriever
szn8tt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 10:05 AM   #24

Wink

And here I was thinking next time at a campsite I'd take a spool of GI Surplus tripwire for the perimeter........
Old 04-14-2014, 11:59 AM   #25

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmichael View Post
We have FTed for 7 years, and actually find it very common to see "not cutting through others sites" posted in the campgrounds rules. For instance, I just looked at the one we are currently at, and it says the following----"Respect other campers privacy. Please do not walk or permit pets to walk through other campsites."

I tend to think as others have mentioned, that most people who do it are just totally unaware of how poor etiquette it is. But then again, I'm able to FT, explore this incredible country, go where I want, when I want, so I have very few things that I allow to get me too excited. This one just doesn't quite make it on the list for me. I try to keep in mind the bit of advice I was given years ago---"when they dig up your bones in a hundred years--will it make any difference". When put in that perspective, so many things just fall off the list of things to worry about.
Maybe because it's Monday morning or the fact that I just wrote a nice size check to our government but I am going to be a little contrarian and dispute the fact that it is a commonly written "rule" about not cutting through others sites. My wife saves every piece of literature from every campground we stay in. I just looked at ten different campground pamphlets 3 Fl. state, 2 Ga. state and 5 commercial campgrounds and not once in the written rules does it say a word about "don't cut through others site's". Encroaching with vehicles, tents, clothslines and pets yes, walking, no. I will be at the MH tomorrow and I sure we have 25 or more pamhlets there and I will check them all for the elusive "rule".

As I said before I understand the rant, although I have not experienced anything in 7 years that really bothered me, I just think before you casitgate a fellow camper and holler "read the rules" you might want to make sure it is a rule before it gets thrown back in your face. Now remember common sense is not very common these days.
Old 04-14-2014, 12:16 PM   #26

Make your own signs.
Old 04-14-2014, 01:40 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gacamp View Post
Maybe because it's Monday morning or the fact that I just wrote a nice size check to our government but I am going to be a little contrarian and dispute the fact that it is a commonly written "rule" about not cutting through others sites. My wife saves every piece of literature from every campground we stay in. I just looked at ten different campground pamphlets 3 Fl. state, 2 Ga. state and 5 commercial campgrounds and not once in the written rules does it say a word about "don't cut through others site's". Encroaching with vehicles, tents, clothslines and pets yes, walking, no. I will be at the MH tomorrow and I sure we have 25 or more pamhlets there and I will check them all for the elusive "rule".

As I said before I understand the rant, although I have not experienced anything in 7 years that really bothered me, I just think before you casitgate a fellow camper and holler "read the rules" you might want to make sure it is a rule before it gets thrown back in your face. Now remember common sense is not very common these days.
Some folks may be confusing campground "rules" for campground "etiquette". I still think it is the "ME" factor for many and for others, their just in La-La land.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 02:58 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
No explanation needed.

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote