Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2015, 03:58 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
I'm a full-timer in need of advice...

First, I'm not a newbie. I've been full-timing for the last 3 1/2 years in a 39 foot '02 Dutch Star diesel pusher. I don't know everything there is to know about my Newmar, but I've endured and survived the learning curve to this point pretty well. For the last year I've been down here in SE FL parked and connected to full hookups. My 100 gallon water tank is full and has been the whole time I've been in Florida, which is about 1 1/2 years. I'm heading to the Rockies in the next 2 weeks and in preparation for the road I'm wanting to have the freshest water possible. So, I'm thinking I should simply drain my tank completely and then before I refill it pour a bit of Clorox into the fill hose. How much Clorox should I put into my fill hose? How much is too little and how much is too much. Or, should I just not do anything and head down the road with the water I've got.

Thanks in advance, fellow RV'ers.

John Dent
2002 Newmar Dutch Star DSDP3852, Spartan Chassis, ISC 350, MH 3000, Banks Power Pak, Blue Ox Tru-Center for Spartan IFS, Onan 7500, Toad Nissan Pathfinder 4x4, Remco driveline disconnect, Hobie Kayak, Dish HD Satellite, Driver John & Maltese "Romeo"
chofujohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2015, 04:04 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Personally, I would add a half cup of bleach to the water you have in there now and top it off with fresh water to get the tank completely full. Let it sit overnight and then drain it. Refill it with fresh and add a cup of white vinegar- this should kill any remaining bleach odor without affecting the taste.

Roll on to Colorado.
HoneyBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 04:13 PM   #3

Taste the water from the tank. It may be fine.

Tom
TLGPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 04:17 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Personally, I'd sanitize and refill. Check this video...

Old 06-20-2015, 04:27 PM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Personally, I'd sanitize and refill. Check this video...

X2!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 04:57 PM   #6

I've used chlorine bleach before, last time I used sodium dichlor. I posted about it here - read about halfway down the post where I described it.
Koop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 07:50 PM   #7

This pdf tells you how to disinfect drinking water. No need to drain the water tank unless it is growing algae, if that happens no amount of chlorine will solve that. Here is the procedure for eliminating algae from the water system.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 08:59 AM   #8

Per Winnebago

Pre-mix a ¼ cup of liquid household bleach in a gallon of water. Pour the solution into your empty fresh water tank. Use a one gallon solution for each 15 gallons of tank capacity. (7 gallons of bleach/water solution for a 100 gallon tank.) Fill your tank with fresh water. Using the MH water pump, open one faucet at a time until you smell chlorine. Don’t forget the hot water taps. Leave the chlorine in your water system for at least four hours. Now dump the fresh water tank and fill with fresh water. Pump the fresh water thru your system. You are good to go.

Winnebago says that if you are in a rush, double the amount of bleach. Leave the bleach/water solution in your water system for at least one hour. Remember to dump, refill and flush.

I always go a little bit extra on the bleach and top my tank off after running the bleach solution thru the water system.

Don't like that? Read your manual.
JoeSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 01:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLGPE View Post

Tom

Really... Water that's been in a tank for 1-1/2 years.. "it may be fine" ??

Yikes ... I'd get that water out of there and flush twice with chlorine (just for good measure)... but that's just me...
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 11:16 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Thank you all for your kind attention...

I have smelled and tasted the water and I can't find fault with it. I am, as a precaution, going to do a drain and refill with Clorox, let sit and drain and refill.

You guys are the BEST!!! I knew I could count on getting some expert opinions and procedures and you didn't disappoint. Thanks...

Getting road ready after sitting for 1 1/2 years is getting interesting, especially in 95 degree heat with 85 percent humidity. I'm 1/4 mile from the Atlantic ocean and I've had to replace some things due to salt air damage. I'm looking forward to the Rockies and the high desert.

John
2002 Newmar Dutch Star DSDP3852, Spartan Chassis, ISC 350, MH 3000, Banks Power Pak, Blue Ox Tru-Center for Spartan IFS, Onan 7500, Toad Nissan Pathfinder 4x4, Remco driveline disconnect, Hobie Kayak, Dish HD Satellite, Driver John & Maltese "Romeo"
chofujohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 11:42 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Annually sanitizing your water tanks is a good habit. Filtering the water entering your tanks from sand particles is recommended. I use a Everpure ADC EV959206 carbon filter hooked to the cold water line under the kitchen sink to eliminate any odors to include chlorine. I empty my water tanks every 30 days of any water remaining in them and refill and refill them to keep the water fresh and to avoid skanky fish tank smelling water. I intentionally do not use a carbon filter when filling my water tanks as I prefer to keep any city water chlorine in my tanks.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 04:02 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLGPE View Post

Tom

I'm sure this was meant in jest, but as a retired science type, bacteriology at that, let me assure you that an organoleptic analysis is the very last thing you want to do.
biosensai is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice