Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2017, 09:44 AM   #29

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
IMHO--no way to totally avoid some degree of risk or disappointment based on which brand or model of coach you buy--they all have issues from time to time...RV ownership is at best an expensive endeavor with a lot of potential risk and few absolute guarantees. The fact is, you are buying into a lifestyle, the associated equipment is simply the means to get there. If you are worried about "investing" in a rapidly depreciating asset that may or may not have mechanical issues, this lifestyle may not be for you. Good luck....
X2. RVs can be gremlin-riddled, aggravating things that get on your last nerve and then start jumping up and down. They probably should be avoided by people who take equipment problems as some sort of personal insult. That said, when you look back at the end of a trip, you tend to forget the gremlins (or at least you can laugh about them) and cherish the experience of the journey.

Also second the suggestion to look into a gently used RV. Ours was a one year old trade-in. The original owner decided she wanted to move up from a gasser to a Ventana DP. We got an almost new coach (under 5000 miles) with most of the new coach bugs having been worked out during that first year. We have the service records and there were a lot of little things I am glad we did not have to deal with during the break-in period. The original owner lived only 20 minutes from the dealership, while we live 3 states away!

Final thought: You said it has been a dream of yours for 30 years to RV. There is a danger inherent in finally realizing a dream you have been nurturing and cherishing for so long. It is rare that the reality of the experience can match the finely crafted and polished expectations you are likely to have. As a result, those be to-be-expected happenstances can quickly become amplified into situations of absolute misery and resentment.

Those are the times when (as I once read in a haunting short story) the dream is not for the dreamer...
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2017, 10:01 AM   #30

Don't have expectations that buying new will provide you with the same peace of mind that goes with a new car. RV's are not built to the same standards as automobiles and quality control, while often touted, is less than reality in that industry. However, there are those few that have been blessed with the purchase of a new RV that has never had an issue and continues to provide trouble free service mile after mile. They are the acceptation. These days the name of the game is how to cut costs and still have the same functionality of the component. One case in point is the mechanism that extends and retracts the slides. A number of years ago most of the industry shifted to track guided electric motors for this purpose and the reliability has proven less than desirable. Today many manufacturers are shifting back to the electro-hydraulic style that was the mainstay operator in previous years. The bottom line is you'll get you pay for but don't confuse that statement with a conventionally perceived low dollar number. The "low dollar" in this industry begins at six figures and while reliability and quality can be somewhat illusive it generally improves as the cost accelerates, but at a significantly disproportionate rate.
Old 03-02-2017, 10:23 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
twogypsies,
Wish that my wife and I had done what you have, but now going to try it starting this year.
One question: how did you get 16 years in from 2004 to present?
... not starting from '04. We had a 5th wheel for 8 yr. and in '04 we bought the motorhome for another 8 yr.

Yes, it was a wonderful lifestyle and not one regret. Hope you enjoy it as much. What added to our enjoyment was volunteering in national and state parks and Fish & Wildlife. It gave us purpose and we knew we were helping the places we enjoy visiting. We didn't do it continuously - sometimes once a year for 2-3 months. Consider it.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 10:43 AM   #32

I tend to agree with a lot of the comments that you have a good chance of being miserable owning an rv. I believe that in most instances, you bring with you the determining factor of whether or not you will enjoy any experience. I call it attitude. If you are going to be stressed out and po'd by every little thing that goes wrong, you may end up hating it. On the other hand, if you can just roll with the flow, change the things you can and just roll past the ones you can't, you will love it.

Don't worry, be happy. That seems to be the typical rv'er we have met.
Old 03-02-2017, 12:41 PM   #33

I want to thank all of you for chiming in. It definitely helped, gives me another perspective and more confidence in the various products. Leaning towards a 2017 Anthem 44a with the desk option. This would serve us best.

I'll keep all of you updated. This looks like it's going to be fun.
WeekendRVers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 02:05 PM   #34

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I really hate to pile on but...

I'm seeing bunches of "red flags" in your first post. Frankly, I might be concerned to have you parked next to me. You might not like my Germans Shepherd Dog, my coach or how I choose to set up my site. You have to be flexible because you will have many different types of neighbors and some might not be your favorite.

Things happen. While my Zeus is pretty good at not barking when we are gone, one day we were careless and left him in the coach with windows open and he barked way too much at every passing dog and for that we were extremely sorry and embarrassed. However, another "type A" person came over with blood in his eyes and really invaded my personal space. Needless to say that nearly earned him a trip to the emergency room but he figured it out and backed off. In the end I VOLUNTARILY paid his site rent for that day to the tune of $110 without being asked to or telling him I would do that. Even though he was a jerk, I felt it was the right thing to do to show my earnest regret for the incident. 3 days later he pulled out and gave me the finger.

However, I'll toss out some other more constructive thoughts and important questions to ask yourself.

1. What are your goals? Weekends vs long trips vs full time. Are you wanting the most luxurious setting regardless of time in coach?

2. How tolerant are you of disruptions? That means that you have to determine if can you handle being without a coach while it takes more time than you want for repairs. This could happen 1000 miles from home and if you have a schedule to maintain it could be a real bummer.

3. Can you handle the fact that these complex machines can break down and sometimes in ugly ways? We've had the front AC replaced 5 times in 2 years, an air bag blow up, coolant lines break (in the middle of a 6 week caravan) and an exhaust manifold crack. On the less critical front we've replaced an alternator, all house and chassis batteries, went 4 months with a slide that we couldn't extend and other odds and ends.

4. Can you accept that you can not always bully/sue folks to get your way? There are many examples of dealerships of multiple brands that won't do warranty work on coaches that were not bought at that dealership or if they do you go to the back of the line in priority.

5. Are you prepared to overcome personal aggravation when the "little stuff" happens? Owning an RV is both fun and aggravating at the same time. learning your systems is important. I'm rated as a multi-engine flight instructor with experience in light twin engine aircraft. The systems on your RV are FAR, FAR more complex than most light weight aircraft. Many times folks have problems that are caused by their own making or ignorance.

I know I'm being rather pointed in my questions. forgive me but if you are going to purchase a massively depreciating asset exceeding $500,000 than you really have to make sure you are prepared for these and other things.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 06:44 PM   #35

I will encourage you to do it,, it is impossible to judge a man form a single post...im sure you didn't intend it to be interpreted as most are assuming.. heck there are some who just don't want anymore rv's on the road, to many already...camps are packed and kids and dogs and fun... of course not pointing to any here but others....
Old 03-02-2017, 06:51 PM   #36

If anything I would recommend you buy an RV that is a steal of a price. Give it a go for a bit. If you don't like it, sell without losing too much money. If you like it then you will be more informed to buy the correct coach for your needs.
Old 03-02-2017, 07:23 PM   #37

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
For my money i'd stay in the tiffin or newmar lines, you can't go wrong with either one.
Old 03-02-2017, 08:38 PM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendRVers View Post
OK, I understand that things happen but reading some of these threads and with all the people chiming in can really skew one thoughts.

I'm sticking with my initial list of MH's and figure out which one will best serve us and then pull the trigger/pray and hope for the best.

And then do battle with the salesmen/managers and listen to "oh no we can't sell it for that, no one can" & "but we have the best customer service and the 'platinum/gold club' etc". (ad nauseum)

I appreciate all the comments and it put things into perspective that the MH sky isn't falling.

Now to figure out if we can find a 2017 we like or order a 2018.

Can't wait to hit the road!
Forget what everyone else's opinion is. The most of what you get is the old Ford Chev Dodge debate and what I have is the best!

You seem to know what you want so just keep looking and trying different coaches out. You can drive two coaches that are the same and they may be very different.

No matter what you buy there will be some hiccups just like everything else in life.
Come on in the water is fine!
Old 03-02-2017, 09:08 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendRVers View Post
I am a strong alpha male and never let things go especially when I feel like I'm being screwed. Example: I spent thousands to collect hundreds from someone who was screwing me. The hundreds I collected meant more to them than the thousands I spent to collect it (garnishment). I'm afraid I'll go legal on this industry.

Do I forget my life long dream of RVing or take the plunge and roll with it and if so, with what unit or should I forget all about it.

signed,

Thoroughly Miffed
Sorry, but the LAST thing you need to do is buy a MH. If you are incapable of rolling with the punches, you're going to be miserable and so will everyone around you.
DWRichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 11:07 AM   #40

Buy a large boat first. When you finally dump it, an RV will seem like a dream!
joshuajim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 12:00 PM   #41

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuajim View Post
Just a couple weeks ago I heard the same thing from friends that did a lot of sailing over several years.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 12:27 PM   #42

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuajim View Post
He said he owned two boats, the last being a 56' Sea Ray. That's a pretty big boat.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuse, thor