Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-15-2014, 11:05 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
X2! Watch out for this one!

X3 on the tires. The tires are most likely the originals and on top of their end of useful life. Most RVers consider tire life to be 7-9 years with mandatory replacement at 10 years per tire manufacturers.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07

Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2014, 11:33 AM   #16

If you go forward with this purchase, consider scheduling some vacation and going to the Winnebago Grand National Rally in Forest City, IA. Can't remember the dates but it's in July or Aug every year. You'll meet many people and learn all about the RV life? Join WIT (Winnebago Itasca Travelers) and FMCA as soon as possible.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07

Old 06-15-2014, 08:01 PM   #17

That is very low mileage for a V-10, so you are good there. There had been some exhaust manifold and spark plug issues with Ford engines, maybe someone can chime in with the years affected. I would at least have the manifolds inspected and since the spark plugs have been in there 8 plus years have them changed. No, they aren't worn out, what happens is the threads become an issue.
Old 06-15-2014, 08:16 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnmor View Post
That is very low mileage for a V-10, so you are good there. There had been some exhaust manifold and spark plug issues with Ford engines, maybe someone can chime in with the years affected. I would at least have the manifolds inspected and since the spark plugs have been in there 8 plus years have them changed. No, they aren't worn out, what happens is the threads become an issue.
With the '06 this will not be an issue. This occurred on the first couple of years, but was resolved when Ford put in longer spark plugs, IIRC. Also the '06 may be the new 3 valve version which has totally redesigned heads which eliminate the problem. If you have the transmission with the "TowHaul" mode button on the shifter you have the newer engine.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 08:18 PM   #19

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would'nt worry about the spark plugs, they weren't affected that year with threading problems. You made a goid deal, now go enjoy!
Old 06-16-2014, 02:09 PM   #20

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagamore View Post
I would'nt worry about the spark plugs, they weren't affected that year with threading problems. You made a goid deal, now go enjoy!

I would make sure it came with a lifetime supply of doors. Fords are known for getting their doors blown off by Chevy powered motorhomes as they whiz by, especially on uphill grades.
Old 06-16-2014, 02:33 PM   #21

Take a deep breath, exhale, then follow George Lewis's advice. Go to a nearby campground for a couple of days. Learn about your rig and relax, Repeat solution as necessary, venturing further out for longer times until you a comfortable.
Old 06-16-2014, 03:11 PM   #22

OK OP! Time for an update. What have you decided to do?

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Old 06-16-2014, 03:50 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselclacker View Post
I would make sure it came with a lifetime supply of doors. Fords are known for getting their doors blown off by Chevy powered motorhomes as they whiz by, especially on uphill grades.
You sure know how to make the potential buyer of a Ford product feel good!
Old 06-16-2014, 03:56 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
OK OP! Time for an update. What have you decided to do?
No decision yet! Waiting to speak with previous owner. Also, the lowest financing I could find was through Costco/Essex Credit at 4.19 or 4.39. The monthly payments aren't a problem, but paying over 6 or 7k in interest over the life of the loan, plus a large application fee because it's a "luxury loan," is not okay. Their normal app fee is $400, but $200 for Costco members. Guess the 6 or 7 grand isn't enough profit!

I am frustrated, exhausted, and completely discouraged. I'm now 90% on the side of bagging the idea of getting an RV at this point in time.
Old 06-16-2014, 04:15 PM   #25

FYI, buying ANY kind of RV will never make financial sense - but the experiences it will provide (Good and bad, lol) - priceless!
Tina & Ted Ontario, Canada RVM 29
timarti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 04:26 PM   #26

I think this quote from your OP has taken control of your decision making process:

"Money-wise, not sure if that was a good deal. Was it? I am scared, scared, scared. What have we done? It's a substantial amount of money, huge responsibility and potential money pit..."

You have completely forgotten the first paragraph when you discuss "connecting with family"; "fun"; "vacations".

If you will be unable to accomplish the goals laid out in that first paragraph due to the "scared, scared, scared" part, then it's time to step back & look at which of these points of view is the priority.

The posts in this thread have been overwhelmingly supportive of going forward, so the fear of going forward is internal. This is not to say that your fear is irrational, just that the two points of view voiced in your OP should be resolved before a decision is made.

Good luck and safe travels.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Old 06-16-2014, 04:28 PM   #27

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVNewB101 View Post
I am frustrated, exhausted, and completely discouraged. I'm now 90% on the side of bagging the idea of getting an RV at this point in time.
Where are you in NJ? And who is the dealer?

I'm in western NJ (Hunterdon County). We bought two RV's from Harold's in Bath, PA and one from Tom Schaeffer's near Cabelas. All great experiences. We have our RV insured through High Point.

RVing is not cheap and not for the faint of heart. Something will always go wrong but that is what makes for such great stories and adventures. But after 15 years and 48 states, we are still going strong and can't wait for our next trip!

If you can't deal with the cost of insurance and interest now, wait until you have to fill up that gas tank 4 times a day during a cross country trip! The RV lifestyle is supposed to relieve stress, not increase it. Either go into it expecting to pay money for the ability to travel the open road or can the deal now and watch from the sidelines.
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 05:32 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
KZ RV Club
If you want an rv go for it. Everything cost $$$ and you will have some good times and stories to tell. Credit unions should have the best rates and insurance on line should also be less unless you use a broker. Progressive , gieco and there may be others. Good luck!