Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-16-2014, 05:04 PM   #29

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My wife and I just bought a 2011 Coachman Freelander 27QB and we are in our early 40's. I had the same initial trepidation when we started looking. once we sat down and looked at what we wanted to do and did the math on how much vacations would cost along with air fair etc to visit our family in various states, we decided it made sense. Our kids are 13yr, 4yr and 5 months and we want to have memories about being together as a family. My wife's father is considering coming over from Italy next summer so we can all go see as many national monuments as possible in a 3 week vacation. My wife's mother and my brothers haven't see our newest baby bot yet. From here to South Carolina we have family in various states that would make a cross country trip both a vacation and family reunion. We also want to take my parents who are getting up there in years camping with us (they have never done that) so they can spend more time with the grand kids.

And don't forget, if you don't like it you can turn around and sell the RV, might take a little loss from what you paid but you'd be done with it. Just maintain the RV well.

Our hope is that we will keep this RV until we retire and then upgrade (once the kids our out on their own) and travel as much as possible around the US and Canada. So much to see

Bottom line, I think about a movie quote from The Shawshank Redemption "Get busy living or get busy dying"

Upside - you have a blast and want to go as much as humanly possible

Downside - you sell the RV and are out a few thousand dollars and no more payments/insurance to worry about

My 2 cents.

PS... on a side note , the interest you pay is only if you go the full term. We plan on paying extra on our RV and pay it off as quickly as possible. As Ben Franklin would say " A Penny saved is a Penny earned"

Ray and Maria
Lincoln CA
Our iRV2 Gallery & Family Photo's link
rdrv831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2014, 05:32 PM   #30
....Pull the trigger.....

HR Endeavor DST Bath and 1/2
330 HP Allison 6-Speed - 7.5 mpg US
Me and the DW
NorthernDriv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 05:38 PM   #31
As much as I love my RV I don't think RVing is for everyone. I suggest renting one for your vacations instead of buying. Then you don't have the stress of the loan, storage, upkeep and insurance costs.

I think owning an RV is best for someone who really wants to customize their environment, enjoys the challenge of learning all the systems and doesn't have money concerns and can pay for the RV outright instead of feeling burdened by a loan.
Proud owner of 1994 Winnebago Brave 29RQ.
Chevy 454 on a P30 chassis.
micd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 05:44 PM   #32
Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
By the sounds of it you've tried as best you can to research your purchase. Joining IRV2 was another step in the right direction. You'll get good advise on most any question you can think to ask. Buyers remorse is normal and makes us think that much harder before committing which is never a bad thing.

To get the most out of your investment, use it often. If you divide your cost of ownership by 15 nights versus 75 or more per season you'll realize a significant reduction in the per stay cost of ownership.

We're in Central Jersey as well and have tried most campgrounds within a three hour drive so if you're thinking of trying out a place you can ask away and I'll see what I can do to help you decide.
DGShaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 05:54 PM   #33
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by RVNewB101 View Post
No decision yet! Waiting to speak with previous owner. ..........
Very good idea, Just what I was going to recommend.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 06:10 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by micd View Post
As much as I love my RV I don't think RVing is for everyone. I suggest renting one for your vacations instead of buying. Then you don't have the stress of the loan, storage, upkeep and insurance costs.
^^ This.
Sarah (RVM69), Hubby, and Harry the RVin' Dog
.......2012 Fleetwood Bounder 33C | 2012 Jeep Wrangler

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 07:33 PM   #35
Thank you all for your information, opinions, and support!

Here is an up-to-the-minute update!

Spoke at length with the previous owner, who never had a moment's problem with the RV, no leaks, etc., and upkept it to a T. He and his wife had fallen in love with it as we have. He said that he couldn't care less if the dealership sells it or not, so he can be 100% honest with me...LOL. They needed a larger RV because of his business. I now feel confident about its condition, which over all makes me feel much better.

We got a $434 insurance quote from Progressive vs. Amica's $1250 for the same coverage! That's more like it!

Fortunately, we CAN afford to make payments. We don't want to take money out of our retirement savings to pay outright for it. I just don't like any kind of debt and especially hate interest!! We would definitely add money towards the principal and pay it off sooner. There are no prepayment penalties.

We thought of a better place to put it in our yard that won't bother anyone including us, so that's been solved.

Looks like we're much closer to buying this RV!
RVNewB101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 07:50 PM   #36
Freightliner Owners Club
Originally Posted by halfwright View Post
We could not justify the cost and maintenance if we were only using our fifth wheel for weekends and vacations. But, since we are full time and have no S&B to worry about, it is a great life style.
Got past Justification while driving off lot,ask the wife what she tought it was worth and she said I guess what we just paid,I said NO it is worth$0,that's the only way i could live with the thought of a money Pit
DBOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 07:54 PM   #37
Freightliner Owners Club
Now go for it and enjoy and dont feel like you have to be in it all the time to justify,you can't take the$ with you and your Kid's will make it on their own.
DBOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 08:24 PM   #38
Thor Owners Club
In a few years after owning your rig, you will laugh thinking back to having reservations. Best investment in "us" we made. I love getting out of the RV at different places of my choosing. Just incredible. And if at the end of a period of time you don't enjoy it you can sell and loose not much money. But you will love it I'm sure.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 08:29 PM   #39
We went through the same thing you are going thru and spent almost two years researching all these questions you have and the anxiety you get just prior to pulling the trigger. We started out looking for a used MH but my wife finally decided she wanted a new one as we couldn't find one we fell in love with. The problem buying a MH is that you want one but don't necessarily need one, It's not like a car that you need to get to work ect., and financially they are not a good investment as they all will eventually lose their value.

That being said it is a great investment in your happiness and your lifestyle. You will meet some great people on the road and have alot of fun. The important thing is how well you trust your dealer, in reference to are you getting a good deal and is it in good shape ect. You have done all you can to protect yourself, with the 12 month warranty you should be able to work out all the kinks and keep the cost to a minimum. I see you got the insurance down to a respectable cost, the original was way too much.

So if you are in love with it, go ahead and pull the trigger, take it out as many times as you can, and really enjoy it. The more you use it the better you will feel that you made the right decision. And if/when things go wrong or break just fix it and move on to the next camping trip, you will love it. Also when things do need attention go on IRV2 and research it, I've already fixed/prevented several things based on research I have done on this forum....Have fun
Mike & Charlotte
2014 Newmar Canyon Star 3610
Orange County, California
Mike and Cha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 08:36 AM   #40
Thor Owners Club
And you could name your new rig "justification"
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 09:21 AM   #41
Fleetwood Owners Club
Spend the first weekend in the rv while parked at your home. That way you can run in the house to get what you need. It is going to be so much fun!! Make it "your" rv, and let the memories begin!!!
Penster, Williamsburg, VA: Me, Him, and Oliver the cat
2012 Bounder 35K aka "Big Red", 2 Suzuki Savage LS650's (1 for her, 1 for him).
Penster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 10:03 AM   #42
Check out Passport America for discounts on campsites. We saved $86.00 our first year!! They send you a really nice book divided by state listing their campgrounds. They also have a "phone app" that will help when looking for campgrounds.
Passport America The original 50% Discount Camping Club - Passport America Discount Camping Club

Also, remember, in some states you can take the interest on the RV loan off of your income taxes as a second home. As long as it has 1 closet and 1 bathroom, the interest is deductable. But of course, check with a tax person in your state.

Ask the dealership if you can stay in the RV overnight BEFORE you sign on the dotted line. Some dealerships allow this, some don't so just ask.

Go to a couple of local campgrounds and talk to some RV owners. Ask them what they like about camping and if they have any "helpful hints" they can share with you. Also, ask them about what they RV in. Usually RV people are very nice and willing to talk.

As far as spending the money, no, RV's don't really get fabulous resale value, but the "family value" and relaxation time you get is priceless!!!

Life is too short!! Enjoy yourself while you can!! On average, more people regret the things they DIDN'T do in life than the things that they DID!!

Good Luck and welcome to the RV community!!

Rick and Karen
2016 Berkshire 38A
2011 Honda CRV
RKNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote