Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2014, 11:30 AM   #43

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKNOLA View Post

Also, remember, in some states you can take the interest on the RV loan off of your income taxes as a second home. As long as it has 1 closet and 1 bathroom, the interest is deductible. But of course, check with a tax person in your state.
You are in Jersey so you can deduct the interest on the loan. We do.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2014, 12:04 PM   #44

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Most of your questions either I can not answer or are answered the same way "My Mamma Told me... to do the Shop Around" (Line from a song back in the 50's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVNewB101 View Post
Hello all...I am looking for direction... please!

Keeping it on our residential property
As your question implies this varies from town to town, So what MOST towns do is not the question, the question is what does YOUR town allow.. plus there are CC&Rs on many properties and home owner's associations and such and most of them are kind of... Restrictive. Thus, I can not answer.

Quote:
Having it checked out professionally
Always a good idea when buying a used vehicle. And yes, BEFORE you sign on the line.

Quote:
Moth balls and Bounce dryer sheets!!!!!
You seem to have that one figured out.
Lastly...Do you enjoy RV'ing/camping? Do the pros outweigh the cons??[/QUOTE]

Yes, so much so that wife and I dumped the Sticks and bricks once we were both retired and went full time in our Class A...

Way better way to live, Taxes more than make up for the gas it eats (Mine is a gasoline type) and the nicest thing... The house we owned, as often happens, "Moved" (not one inch) from a Nice neighborhood to a not very nice neighborhood.. (As in the house next door sold drugs, got shot up and firebombed) but with a S&B (Sticks and bricks) moving is not easy.. With the motor home I get in a bad neighborhood.. Turn key, press pedal (Well a bit more than that) and I'm outta there.

Old 06-18-2014, 05:57 AM   #45

Re: Having the RV checked out by an RV mechanic:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Always a good idea when buying a used vehicle. And yes, BEFORE you sign on the line.
How??? I checked around and found only 2 mobile RV mechanics, one of whom was not willing to take the 3 hour drive to get to the site (can't imagine why, lol). The other, still over an hour away, would charge $350. The RV is not being sold within any kind of reasonable distance from a shop where I could take it before the sale. I am confident after speaking with the previous owner that no problems were hidden. That's not to say that something might go wrong with it soon after the sale. My only thought is that I can take it to someone I know who has an RV service/repair business nearish to my home right after the sale, and if anything horrible is found, take it right back to the dealer/owner and show him what was found.

Question: Was anyone here able to have an RV mechanic check over their bought-used unit before the sale?
Old 06-18-2014, 06:15 AM   #46

$350 is a reasonable fee for a complete RV checkover. Did you think he would do it for fifty bucks ? Ha Ha !
Old 06-18-2014, 06:23 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
$350 is a reasonable fee for a complete RV checkover. Did you think he would do it for fifty bucks ? Ha Ha !
I don't think I complained about the price. I also failed to say that I didn't like the sound of him over the phone. The person I know charges $300 and is much more professional AND certified- but too far from the RV dealer location. So no, I didn't think I would get anyone to check it out for $50.
Old 06-18-2014, 06:47 AM   #48

We've been RV'ing for about nine years now. Had about a dozen different rigs. And lots of experiences. It sounds like you might appreciate a little reassurance.
Price - you are under NADA low, with no options or mileage figured. One heck of a good price. If you decided to sell, for some reason, I don't think you'd suffer any loss.
Quality - Winnebago is a good brand, and previous owner gives it a LOT of credibility, and reasons to like it.
Tires - a major concern at that age. You said they were a year old. Verify that with date code stamped on tire. If true, a fabulous deal.
Dealer - always a hard one to figure. They are all sweet as pie before the purchase. Sounds like your's is a good one. Time will tell.
All in all, I'd say if I were looking for one today, I'd want to see this one. Maybe even make the long trip to NJ to do so.
G L Arnold
Old 06-18-2014, 07:33 PM   #49

Thank you all again for your insight, tips, opinions & wisdom!

The final stretch; from a wreck to excited!...

Credit app approved, dealer lowered price even further, Progressive came up with a lower ins premium final price than quoted...We're good to go! If all goes well, we will have the RV on our property by the end of next week, if not sooner.

Now we pray for good weather and no mechanical problems...
Old 06-18-2014, 08:18 PM   #50

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sounds great! Hope to see you out there.
Old 06-18-2014, 10:29 PM   #51

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
yea great news. We are getting more rain tonight, got a little over a inch last night, Hope your not in Minnesota!!!!
may see ya out there.
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 03:37 AM   #52

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Thank you all again for your insight, tips, opinions & wisdom!

The final stretch; from a wreck to excited!...

If all goes well, we will have the RV on our property by the end of next week, if not sooner.

Now we pray for good weather and no mechanical problems...
Sounds like you've done your homework. Congratulations! Never pass up an opportunity to try something you want to try. You can't take it with you ....well actually, in an RV you can!

My only recommendation; Psychologically designate that new savings that your dealer has offered into an expense fund for the repairs/upgrades/farkles that will occur. If you've already allocated the $$$, it won't seem like such a shock to your budget.
Enjoying the simple life w/a 1994 Winnebago Brave 31RQ (A). Past RVs; RoadTrek (B), Starcraft Pop-up, Coachmen (C), MinnieWinnie (C) and an American Something-or-other (TT). Started it all off as a teenager in a 1964 Apache Pop-up we named Wag Along.
minibike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 04:33 AM   #53

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
This sounds like an interesting story to follow. Keep us up to date on how it goes
Bill & Jenny - 2016 Winnebago Itasca Ellipse 42HD, 43 ft, Cummins 8.9 ISL - Blue Ox and SMARTCAR. Once/month traveler in Midwest and (as ofen as possible) Southern US. Home - Nashville, Indiana (Beautiful Brown County)
jwmaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 06:21 AM   #54

Monaco Owners Club
KZ RV Club
Great sounds like good deals abound. Now if you could get a good deal on gas. Guess dealer is throwing in a full tank...would be nice.
Old 06-19-2014, 06:52 AM   #55

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
I don't think I complained about the price. I also failed to say that I didn't like the sound of him over the phone. The person I know charges $300 and is much more professional AND certified- but too far from the RV dealer location. So no, I didn't think I would get anyone to check it out for $50.
Welcome to the iRV2 site good info here and good people,but every now and then you will run in to someone with their snide remarks,trying to make you feel cheap,sorry for your early learning curve and remember every dollar savved it another mile or 2 for fuel.
Old 06-19-2014, 01:35 PM   #56

I'm a Wreck! What have we done? HELP PLEASE!

Quote:
I don't think I complained about the price.

That was how I interpreted what you wrote. By saying only one guy is willing to come do the inspection, and he charges $350 AND you are still asking how to get it inspected, I have to interpret that as you think the price is exorbitant. Which is reasonable, because you stated all this is very new to you.

Quote:
I also failed to say that I didn't like the sound of him over the phone

You didn't put this in the post that I originally read and was responding to.

My comment about it costing more than fifty bucks was light hearted, hence the "Ha Ha" at the end. :smile