Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-25-2013, 07:38 PM   #15

Hicks, what are you talking about? The OPs or yours? Whose water damage? All appliances and plumbing systems tested. What? Tested good or tested bad? You're not making sense or I've lost it.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-25-2013, 08:08 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
Hicks, what are you talking about? The OPs or yours? Whose water damage? All appliances and plumbing systems tested. What? Tested good or tested bad? You're not making sense or I've lost it.
'Nuff said, old buddy...............
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 10:45 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
The question was:
<<<In buying an RV that's 10 years old , what are the top 5 things to look out for? >>>

Regarding the coaches I looked at prior to buying this one, the number one reason for turning on my heel and walking away from a coach was water damage (smells, mold, peeling wall paper or headliner, delams inside and out, etc.)? The point I was trying to make was there is a need for extreme care to be taken regarding that issue! If there is evidence of water damage I would encourage anyone to find another coach to look at.

Regarding the appliances, I would want them tested. You need the results of those tests (positive OR negative) to help establish the value of the coach you're looking at? Makes no difference if they work or not at this point. You just need to know one way or the other to establish value! Same goes true for the plumbing, and a good chassis inspection by somebody REALLY qualified to do that?

If I know the status of ANY water damage that exists on the coach, the status of all appliances, plumbing systems, and the chassis, I can likely come up with a pretty good idea of what that coach is worth. Without any one of those checks, I cannot?

Does that help?

I was trying to be brief, as the OP said he only wanted the top 5 things of a topic I could write a book on. 19 years working on these things in my younger days taught me a lot of lessons learned the hard way, and showed me a LOT of stuff. I just wanted to hit the high spots? Judging by your confusion, apparently I was too brief, and for that, a thousand apologies.

Take care buddy...
-Al
Old 12-26-2013, 03:02 AM   #18

Gotcha. When I went to buy a coach, I looked at 10 on two different lots, Saw the ones that had something i didn't like, Made an offer on what I liked and bought in all in about 6 hours. It was that clean. I Saw the overpriced Monacos and the like and found one I could slide right into. When I got it home, I discoverd it had all sorts of accessoriesies. Patio cover, screem, three BBQs, three tables, ect. It was virtually camp ready. It was being sold because the PO developed dementio, I was at the right place at the right time. Probably could have got it for a lot less but as being fare.

Old 12-26-2013, 06:33 AM   #19

Just a guess, but thinking you weren't looking at 10 year old coaches that day?

-Al
Old 12-26-2013, 07:32 AM   #20

Wrong. It was 2012 when I bought my 2004, so kinda close to 10 years.

Old 12-28-2013, 06:13 AM   #21

I'm learning a lot, mainly that there are a lot more than 5 things to look for. But I'm liking the advice on checking chassis and drivetrain first. All the smaller stuff come after that. And I learned that water damage is a killer. Thank you thank you. !!!
Charlie263 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 06:59 AM   #22

I would say that when it comes to chassis and drive train there's a "finite" element there. If it's broke or worn, repairs can be relatively easily estimated, and whatever's broke or worn replaced?

That's NOT the case with water damage! Many/most times you are not able to see all the repairs that will be required until you have it torn down to the point you stop discovering further damage? Think of a house with a bath or kitchen that's not been maintained properly? Those are MUCH easier to repair, and estimates to repair/replace can double or triple once started?

IMHO, the better plan is to first make sure the coach itself has no apparent water damage (none, not even a little). THEN consider the rest of it knowing you'll have a solid base to work with.

The lowest mileage chassis, in mint condition, is worthless if the ceiling of the coach mounted to it is sagging due to water damage.....

Best of luck in your hunt! -Al
Old 12-30-2013, 03:43 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
I would say that when it comes to chassis and drive train there's a "finite" element there. If it's broke or worn, repairs can be relatively easily estimated, and whatever's broke or worn replaced? That's NOT the case with water damage! Many/most times you are not able to see all the repairs that will be required until you have it torn down to the point you stop discovering further damage? Think of a house with a bath or kitchen that's not been maintained properly? Those are MUCH easier to repair, and estimates to repair/replace can double or triple once started? IMHO, the better plan is to first make sure the coach itself has no apparent water damage (none, not even a little). THEN consider the rest of it knowing you'll have a solid base to work with. The lowest mileage chassis, in mint condition, is worthless if the ceiling of the coach mounted to it is sagging due to water damage..... Best of luck in your hunt! -Al
Wow thanks for the insight. I feel like I'm armed with knowledge that may save me big time.
Old 12-30-2013, 03:44 PM   #24

So how many miles can a well maintained gasser be expected to last?