Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-24-2013, 11:39 PM   #1

I'm interested in buying an RV

In buying an RV that's 10 years old , what are the top 5 things to look out for?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-25-2013, 12:30 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Water damage any where.

Do all internal systems function well, fridge, microwave, air conditioners, furnace, sinks, lights, audio visual equipment, steps, outlets, water pump and water and waste system etc;

Mechanical condition, engine and transmission, brakes, suspension, steering, exhaust, drive it yourself,

Electrical system, incoming power, generator, exterior lights, water heater, water valves, water and waste tanks.

Overall look and feel of the MH does it look as though it was cared for, are any records available, have recalls been accomplished,

I did not include tires because in my opinion unless the tires are quite new I would either figure on replacing them or make their replacement part of the deal.

Do not hesitate to have a professional inspect and report their opinion of the MH. I note you say RV so whatever it is these are the critical items IMHO. With emphasis changing depending on whether it is powered or tow,

njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 02:12 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
In short, everything.

Hi $$ items are water damage, engines and transmissions. Other items are costly as well but not quite so bad. NJS42 pretty much nailed it. A well cared for unit will look and feel well cared for. Get a professional to inspect. Even a 10 year old rig will represent a sizable chunk of money to invest.
Old 12-25-2013, 04:25 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Here is what I should have done when buying our RV - my knowledge of RV's was close to zero at the time:

Find what you want. Then get someone independent and with lots of experience to survey it for you. This may cost you a little money but no way near what it will cost you to repair things you may have overlook yourself.

RV's are never without faults, and repair is an ongoing and never-ending event. Once a survey is done you can make your mind up about the faults that are disclosed at that time.

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 07:26 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Rust !
Old 12-25-2013, 07:37 AM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Motorhome or towable? After all both are RVs. Be sure to look for soft slide-out floors on the underside. Look for water stains on interior corners where walls floors and ceilings meet and water stains under windows. Do a coplete roof material and caulking inspection. Check dates on tires 6-8 years old will need replacing no matter how good they look.
Old 12-25-2013, 08:40 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Like Danes-on-tour said....plus

Mechanical condition
tires
leaks and rot
maintenance records

Ken
Old 12-25-2013, 11:56 AM   #8

I was talking MH. Wow you guys are so helpful. Thank you, that's exactly the info I was looking for.
Old 12-25-2013, 12:08 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
I wrote this for a guy a few years back. Some of it is directed at buying a Tradewinds DP but the rest is generic. There are 12 pages of things to check, but it doesn't cover everything so read and investigate all the responses.

https://skydrive.live.com/view.aspx?...=WordPdf&wdo=1

Dick
Old 12-25-2013, 12:14 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Take you time in looking around. If the owner is giving you a hard time, pacing, sticking his nose in your face, and etc., walk away. I will guarantee that we all have missed something important which you may think of just sitting in the coach or looking around. I am talking about at least a half a day here. Also take a long drive, fifty miles plus, and travel on all types of road surfaces. If you are not getting that kind of access to the unit, again walk away.

We once bought a new unit which was parked inside with limited walk around space since the weather was not good. We drove it and they put it back inside and we finally made the deal. Afterwards we went out to drive away and discovered a hugh amount of rock damage which had occurred during delivery. We went back in a they took some money off but not enough. We were hooked and made the mistake of accepting the situation. Who would have thought a brand new unit would have damage.
Old 12-25-2013, 12:30 PM   #11

I dont know what the statistics are, but a large number of RV buyers do not test drive them. I always have, and on all types of roads.

First thing with any prospective RV, after a very cursory look, was I road tested all of them and rejected many based on that alone. Dont check for small stuff until you qualify the big stuff.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 12:57 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie263 View Post
I was talking MH. Wow you guys are so helpful. Thank you, that's exactly the info I was looking for.
IRV2 rocks

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 01:30 PM   #13

Don't expect it to be run down and beat up. My Breeze was it top notch condition. I did buy from a dealer. They left $100s of dollars worth of camping and MH accessories in the basement. Other than checking for loose screws and bolt, there was almost nothing I had to do to get it road worthy. Just add food, clothing, water and gas.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 07:12 PM   #14

Water damage

A chassis inspection by a qualified shop - there's no such thing as an RV dealer that's qualified. No matter what they tell you.

Water damage

All appliances and plumbing systems tested

WATER DAMAGE!