Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2012, 01:53 PM   #1

I'm just wondering

Do any class A motorhomes get half way decent gas mileage, i.e. 20 mpg+? I'm talking no wind, level ground conditions.

Flickr: grafxmangrafxman's Photostream
grafxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2012, 01:57 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
No.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 02:07 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
If one did, it would sell out and have a 5 year waiting list..
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 02:10 PM   #4
paz

Some of the new, smaller diesels say they get 12 to 15, but that is probably only if you're going mostly downhill with a tailwind. Our crossover SUV barely gets 20 mpg, and it only weighs 4,000 lb.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 02:15 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ummmm nope? Best I've seen yet in any RV type I've owned was right around 13 with a Class C. Dodge with a 318. Pretty decent mileage on straight and level. Don't ask about the hills however.
Old 05-10-2012, 02:19 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
In fact, I'd be happy to get 20mpg in my 2007 Toyota Tacoma.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 05:40 AM   #7

This is making me feel a lot less sad about the <10mpg I'm getting in my recently purchased 22' '93 Winnie Warrior.

Old 05-11-2012, 06:05 AM   #8

Sometimes they do when their sitting still. I can't get that with my Jeep Liberty. LOL
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 06:40 AM   #9
VP

Here are some things I do to squeeze a few more miles out of my coach: First, keep in mind that pushing a giant heavily loaded box through the slipstream takes horsepower. Simple rule - the faster you go and the heavier you are, the more horsepower it will take = fuel burned. There are some things you can do without going crazy... First, go on a diet - unload as much weight from your coach as possible. And be realistic! If you haven't looked at something or even thought about it in the past say two years, why are you carrying it around? Then evaluate your fuel/water needs. With a short outing planned, do you really need that 100 gal of gas and 60 gal of dino fuel? Before local trips, I fuel my rig with gas based on planned mileage and a small fudge factor just like the airlines do because hauling unneeded liquids at roughly 7 lbs/gal = reduced mileage. Making your coach aerodynamic is next to impossible. But do you really need those 4 bicycles hanging on a rack IN THE FRONT and what do you carry in that roof mounted storage bin? Do you really need yet another protuberance on the roof? Mechanical condition is next. Be sure your motor is breathing well and in top condition. Then plan your route remembering that every additional 7-9 miles = another gallon = $4. Is that side trip worth it? If so then go realizing what it will cost, otherwise stick to the plan. A few years ago, I installed a vacuum gage. With carburetor motors, keeping that little needle as high as possible = better mileage. You will find yourself driving differently but the return is $ saved. And lastly, there was a reason for the 55 mph max speed limit a few years ago, enough said. Am certain there are lots of other tips. I try to hit the big ones to save the most gas. Good luck finding a "Prius" motorhome! They don't exist and likely never will. Too much weight, mass and size required for the perceived need. Is the technology out there to build a 25 or 30 mpg class A motorhome? Probably, but the cost of doing so would be astronomical. Until then, I do what I can to avoid too much pain at the pump and accept the challenge of doing so with my antique.
Old 05-11-2012, 02:54 PM   #10

Thanks VP. I like that vacuum gauge idea.