RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-22-2018, 07:36 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 3
Exclamation Important safety issue please read

So we picked up our BRAND NEW MH from our North Carolina CW dealer about 2 months ago. Excitedly went over the all the features and benefits with our tech, and was sent on our merry way. After about 10 days of camping on various trips we thought maybe we would check our SMOKE detector since our old TT detector would almost drive us out of the coach if we even made toast and we hadn't heard a peep from our new one... WELL we were pretty upset to find that the protective tape on the battery had never even been pulled and the smoke detector was pretty worthless that way. Then decided to check the CO2 and propane detector's as well only to find that the battery tape was NOT PULLED on the CO2 either. TO THINK we camped 10 nights without either of our safety devices was just SCARY! SO PLEASE anyone in a newer RV, if you have NOT physically yourselves checked your SAFETY EQUIPMENT. DO IT RIGHT NOW!
__________________

TonyOIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2018, 07:50 AM   #2
Community Moderator
 
barmcd's Avatar


 
Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 7,371
I'm not surprised they were left in place since pulling them starts the clock on the battery. I am somewhat surprised that they didn't tell you that in your pre-delivery walk through.
__________________

__________________
Dennis and Katherine
2000 Monaco Dynasty
barmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 08:04 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Upstate South Carolina
Posts: 102
Since it was bought at a CW, the OP should be forever thankful that’s the only problem he’s had.
minnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 08:36 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
bamaboy473's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Gulf Coast, Alabama
Posts: 1,924
Is using caps for, "SCARY", having something to do with Halloween? Surely it wasn't something to lose sleep over, and doing a thorough once-over would seem to involve the systems that operators use; not latent ones. Please don't tear the CW staff a new one over this.
__________________
Rick and Sandy
2003 American Eagle, 59K miles
bamaboy473 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 08:47 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 838
Camping World isn't the only one.
I went into an exfriend's 2004 Mountain air about five years ago and, after checking everything I could, I finally found the problem. The electrical panel in the bedroom had a terminal labeled: Smoke Alarm. Only problem was there was no wire in the box that wasn't terminated. So, where is/was the smoke alarm wire?

Here, all this time the couple were counting on the smoke alarm/Newell to provide a warning.
Test your co2 alarm and smoke alarm EVERY spring. Also your propane sniffer.
NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 08:47 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Bigd9's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: The Bluegrass State
Posts: 4,699
Thanks for the Heads Up Tony! Even though my coach is 12 years old, your post made me go and check mine. I found the smoke detector battery was corroded and leaking. It is now on my list of "things to buy"!
__________________
Good Luck, Be Safe and Above All, Don't Forget To Have Fun
Pete
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, being pushed by a 2014 Honda CRV
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 08:58 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
Is using caps for, "SCARY", having something to do with Halloween? Surely it wasn't something to lose sleep over, and doing a thorough once-over would seem to involve the systems that operators use; not latent ones. Please don't tear the CW staff a new one over this.
I was going to say,,

I too want my smoke detector working but there have been a couple of times that we camped with a dead detector because I didn't realized that the battery had died. Sure, I replaced batteries asap but at the same time, those situations didn't cause any fuss.

Testing to make sure our detectors are working is something we all need to routinely do. New or old, it's a good idea to do this before every trip..
__________________
03 Itasca Sunova, Workhorse P32 chassis with the 8.1 and 4L85-E
Mudfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 09:00 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
windsorbill's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: CA
Posts: 2,082
at least in California, you can't buy a 9 volt "battery only" powered smoke detector for your home. They outlawed it several years ago. They now sell lithium ion self contained battery only smokes. They claim they last 10 years. when the device starts to beep, you change the whole device.
__________________
Bill & Brigitte
06 Windsor PRQ, Cummins 400 ISL
2014 Honda CRV
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 09:06 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyOIB View Post
So we picked up our BRAND NEW MH from our North Carolina CW dealer about 2 months ago. Excitedly went over the all the features and benefits with our tech, and was sent on our merry way. After about 10 days of camping on various trips we thought maybe we would check our SMOKE detector since our old TT detector would almost drive us out of the coach if we even made toast and we hadn't heard a peep from our new one... WELL we were pretty upset to find that the protective tape on the battery had never even been pulled and the smoke detector was pretty worthless that way. Then decided to check the CO2 and propane detector's as well only to find that the battery tape was NOT PULLED on the CO2 either. TO THINK we camped 10 nights without either of our safety devices was just SCARY! SO PLEASE anyone in a newer RV, if you have NOT physically yourselves checked your SAFETY EQUIPMENT. DO IT RIGHT NOW!
Mine is hard wired. I have however installed a battery operated one also.
richardgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 09:37 AM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by minnow View Post
Since it was bought at a CW, the OP should be forever thankful that’s the only problem he’s had.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
Is using caps for, "SCARY", having something to do with Halloween? Surely it wasn't something to lose sleep over, and doing a thorough once-over would seem to involve the systems that operators use; not latent ones. Please don't tear the CW staff a new one over this.
Definitely - There are PLENTY of other things that CW will screw up for you to make this funny by comparison! Expecting the dealer people (whoever they are) to remember everything in a delivery walkthrough is comedy though. Their job is to get enough done to get it off the lot and make room for the next profit center to roll in. Discovering all the things they left out is part of the joy of buying brand new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorbill View Post
at least in California, you can't buy a 9 volt "battery only" powered smoke detector for your home. They outlawed it several years ago. They now sell lithium ion self contained battery only smokes. They claim they last 10 years. when the device starts to beep, you change the whole device.
There's actually a very smart reason for this: There's a tiny amount of radioactivity in the detectors that slowly erodes over time, until the detector is no longer capable of properly functioning. This happens silently, whether it is powered up or not. The sensitivity drops off until they would practically have to be on fire themselves to alert. EVERY detector older than 10 years should be replaced completely, no matter what power source it uses.
geordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 11:16 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
hohenwald48's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Nashville, TN area
Posts: 2,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorbill View Post
at least in California, you can't buy a 9 volt "battery only" powered smoke detector for your home. They outlawed it several years ago. They now sell lithium ion self contained battery only smokes. They claim they last 10 years. when the device starts to beep, you change the whole device.
I think you still have to pull the tape tab to get them to work initially.
__________________
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.
2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU with Ready Brute tow system
hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 11:50 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
TripleEEE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Medicine Hat AB
Posts: 354
Glad you survived for the first 10 days.

I check/change batteries every Spring prior to camping season.

On a new unit I function test everything. I don't trust the hired help....
__________________
Current:2008 Triple E Commander 3202FB V10, F53, CHF, Safe-T-Plus, 5Star tune, 2008 Edge Limited AWD Toad, Ready Brute Elite towbar, Demco baseplate
Past: 8 RV's over 31 years.
TripleEEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 05:13 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 969
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleEEE View Post
Glad you survived for the first 10 days.

I check/change batteries every Spring prior to camping season.

On a new unit I function test everything. I don't trust the hired help....
Its that simple
rvethereyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 04:58 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
baraff's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 1,806
Definitely need a working smoke detector. Ours doubles as a kitchen timer.
__________________

__________________
Burns & Diane
2005 Winnebago Aspect 26A/2012 Subaru Impreza toad
Illinois! - Where the politicians make the license plates......
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
safety



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Important - please read regarding campers inn !! Tonk Mom New Member Check-In 36 05-06-2013 08:53 AM
Safety safety safety Wire Wrat Travel Trailer Discussion 7 05-24-2012 08:23 AM
Important - Please Read Electrical/Fresh Water Tank Old Rv'er Alpine Coach Owner's Forum 10 06-05-2008 08:39 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.