Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-25-2016, 09:08 AM   #1
In Camper Storage

As new RVers, we are wondering if everything must be removed from the unit between trips, including food items stored plastic containers. Thanks.

RVNewbees is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2016, 09:19 AM   #2
Winnebago Owners Club
It will depend upon how long you have between trips. Is your unit stored in covered or open storage? Are you worried about critters? We store our unit inside. We normally go out monthly during the summer and snowbird in the winter.

We leave canned goods, dry items like flour, coffee and pasta stored in plastic containers between trips. If the time is short we will leave the unit plugged in and the fridge and freezer turned on with goods in it.

Perishables like milk and vegetables are never left.

Gordon and Janet
Tour 42QD/inTech Stacker
Gordon Dewald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 09:28 AM   #3
Additionally I would add that it also depends on where you are storing it and hot it gets. Our TT is stored outside between trips here on the east coast of NE Florida and it gets HOT and humid here several months out of the year. The only food items we leave in the TT are the sealed up spices; everything else comes out between trips if the storage is going to be more than a week or two.
parkerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 09:40 AM   #4
Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I have learned in my S&B that critters can be pesky and sneaky and very hard to eradicate. Especially meal moths that arrive inside packaged food and spread out. So all household foodstuffs stay fully sealed at home, and ALL foodstuffs other than coffee and tea are removed from the RV after each trip. It only takes one critter to burrow into or out of a container to wreak havoc.

As part of the many RV checklists I developed for us, one of them is for food. It makes shopping for a trip quick and easy.

We leave most everything else on board, including toiletries, first aid supplies, books, DVDs, sheets and towels (the RV is plugged in behind my store, so it stays climate controlled). That way, preparing for a trip is quick--it involves getting clothes ready and food shopping.
2014 Newmar Bay Star 3308
Patti Brown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 09:41 AM   #5
Another consideration is rodents. If it is in your yard and you visit it often, then no big deal. If it is in a storage lot or worse, a field or barn, I would empty everything except canned goods. I have dealt with both mice and rats in previous RVs and I can tell you, it ain't pretty what they can do in a very short time.
2008 Winnebago Aspect E450 26A. Oh, yeah, the wife and geriatric Beagle, Irwin, come along too.
OlYeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 09:58 AM   #6
Originally Posted by RVNewbees View Post
As new RVers, we are wondering if everything must be removed from the unit between trips, including food items stored plastic containers. Thanks.
We remove any "freezables" when we store our coach where it will see freezing weather.
Other than that we only remove things if we will be needing them when we are not in the coach.
'96 Safari
mel s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 07:33 PM   #7
Monaco Owners Club
The only thing stuff we take out of our coach when we park it on the storage lot are refrigerated items and perishables (i.e., stuff that will go bad if left for short periods such as bread). Pantry items such as canned goods, rice, pasta, crackers, etc. - are all left in the coach between trips. We do clean out the pantry items if we're putting the coach away for the winter.

Besides food as described above - the only other stuff that we remove between trips are things that we use daily - i.e., clothes, personal electronics (laptops, iPads, bicycling GPS, etc.) We've got USB chargers for the coach ... and USB chargers for the house - so those stay as well. We try to minimize the movement of stuff between the coach and the house to the greatest degree possible.

When "coach stuff" does make it into the house (typically bedding, towels and/or throw rugs to be laundered and/or the occasional "coach containers" that had leftovers in them when we arrived home) - we make a point of keeping it separate from "house stuff" and returning it to the coach as soon as possible. It's common that we'll make a trip to the coach on the storage lot shortly after we've returned from a trip and taken care of the laundry ... specifically to make the bed and return any "coach stuff" that was brought into the house upon our return.
2012 HR Endeavor 43' DFT, 2012 Jeep Liberty
SpaceNorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 07:39 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We use the MH usually at least once or twice a month year round. Is plugged in with refrigerator operating. We remove very few things, just stuff that will spoil. Much of our clothing stats as well and I just launder it in the MH. All depends on your usage scenario.

Vince and Susan
2011 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH (Cummins ISC/Freightliner)
Flat towing a modified 2005 Jeep (Rubicon Wrangler)
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote