Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2012, 04:14 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you didn't agree, then don't sign..

1fanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2012, 04:27 PM   #16

Solo Rvers Club
"It is generally contrary to public policy to attempt to contract away liability resulting from negligence."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondad View Post
Which, in laymans terms means you cannot waive negligence regardless of what the waiver says. If there is negligence, you can sue for negligence. Just gotta prove the negligence.
Thank you much, I read that 3 or 4 times and could not figure out what it meant-LOL

I did discuss it with the clerk and he did not comment one way or the other. But he did take my payment afterwards. And I was very polite when I went back to the office to offer to sign a new form. I apologized and begged and really lowered my self esteem to stay. But I got the ole "owner says you have to go and not to bother him about it again" excuse. I was even real polite when I left, cause like a said, I was on a first name basis with some of the staff.

But now, thanks to this forum, I have my answer. 'sign the form, you can't waive stupidity or negligence no matter what it says on the form'.

They would not tell me who the owner was or how to contact him. I know how to find out if I wanted to, but then what?

Old 11-21-2012, 04:28 PM   #17

Vintage RV Owners Club
Here's what you crossed out:
Quote:
or accidents, owner and/or customer actions or in-actions (or those of their employees, agents, or invitees).
I think the biggest problem was that you made them "liable" for the actions of other customers when you ran your pen across that line.
Old 11-21-2012, 04:32 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalynzoo View Post
Personally, I would never sign a contract releasing the park from all liability, from owner, employees, etc. I understand natural occurances, but really, employee actions? If they hit your RV with their utility vehicle they are to be held harmless?
The way I read that clause was that the owner will not be held responsible for actions of the employees - not that the employees are not liable. So, if an employee damages your rig you can seek restitition from that employee, but not from the owner.

To me it sounds like they're trying to protect themselves from those "deep pocket" lawsuits - sue everybody and their brother hoping that someone will pay up.
Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:47 PM   #19

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Startech View Post

They would not tell me who the owner was or how to contact him. I know how to find out if I wanted to, but then what?
It sounds like you like the resort and would like to go there again.

This could be a tough fence to mend, but you might consider a note explaining your "confusion" or something and slathering on some honey about what a nice place it is etc...Give it some time to sink in, and then the next time you want to go there, try to make a reservation. At that point I guess you'd find out soon enough if you're blackballed, or if they even remember this "unpleasantness".

Good luck!
Old 11-21-2012, 05:49 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Sorry but I think it was a bit off the wall to modify a contract in the way it was done. If a contract doesn't suit a customer's needs it is time to leave unless a recognized modification is agreed upon by both sides. Personally, if I was CG management and found that a customer may have tried to pull a fast one over me, I would probably exercise my right to have them leave. Trust is a 2 way street and such a surreptitious attempt to change the contract would tell me that such a person is not a forthright customer.

I'm not going to debate the merits of the clause. It is what it is and that is that. Nor am I trying to pass judgement on the true character on either party. I don't know them well enough to do that. I'm just saying that at a given moment, both sides may have acted in a rash manner.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:57 PM   #21

Next time just scribble your name badly, let them figure it out if they need to bring out your contract if something happens. Sounds like if they are that wreck less I wouldn't want to stay there maybe in the long run they are doing you a favor.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:25 PM   #22

I've done the cross-out thing on a number of documents I've been asked to sign, in private transactions and at work. Most of the time it's been accepted without incident. At work, I occasionally catch some $#!t for it, until I explain the unintended consequence that the document created - usually I get a "we didn't think about that" response.

Seems to me if they took your money after accepting the document you should have been able to stay for the duration of the payment. the "owner" can bitch at his employee, but not you. The employee could have turned you away at that point, but didn't.

At every race, I have to sign "the waiver" - which basically says you know racing is dangerous and won't sue anyone. Everybody also knows it's totally worthless, something the insurance company requires but won't stand up to a stiff breeze if true negligence is evident.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:34 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanDiemen23 View Post

At every race, I have to sign "the waiver" - which basically says you know racing is dangerous and won't sue anyone. Everybody also knows it's totally worthless, something the insurance company requires but won't stand up to a stiff breeze if true negligence is evident.
X2

It's probably true that one can't "fix stupid"... but I think it's also true that a business owner can't excuse stupidity or negligence (in advance) by having all customers sign a fine print contract on check in.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:49 AM   #24

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Startech View Post

I did discuss it with the clerk and he did not comment one way or the other. But he did take my payment afterwards. And I w
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
Sorry but I think it was a bit off the wall to modify a contract in the way it was done. If a contract doesn't suit a customer's needs it is time to leave unless a recognized modification is agreed upon by both sides. Personally, if I was CG management and found that a customer may have tried to pull a fast one over me, I would probably exercise my right to have them leave. Trust is a 2 way street and such a surreptitious attempt to change the contract would tell me that such a person is not a forthright customer.

I'm not going to debate the merits of the clause. It is what it is and that is that. Nor am I trying to pass judgement on the true character on either party. I don't know them well enough to do that. I'm just saying that at a given moment, both sides may have acted in a rash manner.
Please re-read my post more carefully. And, um, yeah, you are offending me by passing judgement on my character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanDiemen23 View Post
I've done the cross-out thing on a number of documents I've been asked to sign, in private transactions and at work. Most of the time it's been accepted without incident. At work, I occasionally catch some $#!t for it, until I explain the unintended consequence that the document created - usually I get a "we didn't think about that" response.

Seems to me if they took your money after accepting the document you should have been able to stay for the duration of the payment. the "owner" can bitch at his employee, but not you. The employee could have turned you away at that point, but didn't.

X3-I also have done it over the last 3 decades and this is the first time it was a problem.

No matter what, I want to thank everyone for their input on this.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:57 AM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
its just another piece of paper in their pile at the courtroom. you still can't sign away your right to sue.
Old 11-22-2012, 11:18 AM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Startech - sorry you took offense at another posts opinion. When I post I don't expect everyone to agree with me or support my position. I'm as interested in the other POV as I am in hearing I was right. It's difficult sometimes to "write around" the "you" when it was something you did or did not do. In this case I don't think anyone disagrees with your right to do as you did or for the owners to do what they did. We face terms and conditions all the time and take or leave them as we see fit. Maybe I'm thick skinned on this one but I didn't really see it as character assignation - just another persons description of the situation.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 12:54 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

What I see here is that an employee (the clerk who signed you in) accepted a contract modification (your cross-out) that his employer did not authorize. The clerk should have said "I can't accept that change", but he didn't, so your version of the contract was in effect for your first night. Then the boss said "No way", and told the clerk to reject your terms (and also refund your money?). Not wanting to get in any more trouble, the office workers just relayed the boss' rejection and said "get out".

Whether his terms are reasonable or not, they are his terms. Just like his prices, you can accept them or take your business elsewhere. Apparently you didn't feel all that strongly about them, though, since you were prepared to sign without modification later.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 02:19 PM   #28

contract

What little I remember from contract law:
1) A "Hold harmless clause" may not be inforceable. I never sign one anyway. Why risk it?
2) an inability to change a contract may lead to two problems
a) It is not inforceable on its face (there was no meeting of the minds) or
b) You accept it and are forced to adhere to it. If you paid out money (an exchange of consideration) and signed it, you may be held to it's terms.

Not being able to change contract terms can lead to an "adhesion contract" which may be voidable.

The underlined MAY is what keeps lawyers in business.

It would be interesting to look at the state's laws governing rental property.

Best bet - don't do business with any one who insists on these types of contracts. Protect yourself.