Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2012, 12:30 PM   #1

Solo Rvers Club
Indemnity-I was asked to leave this resort

"INDEMNITY: Customer shall indemnify and hold Owner harmless from and against any and all claims, demands, costs and expenses, including reasonable attorney's fees, arising from damages caused by fire, water, wind, vandalism, acts of God, or accidents, owner and/or customer actions or in-actions (or those of their employees, agents, or invitees). or any other related to Customer's use or occupation of the RV site."

I drew a line through the underlined part, signed and paid. The next morning, I found a note on my door asking me to come to the office for a refund and leave. I went to the office and offered to sign a new unmarked agreement, but was denied quite rudely.

Was I really that out of line? The shame of it is, there is no other resorts in the area. This is/was my home base. I have stayed here several times on a monthly basis(once for 6 months) without ever having a problem. Never had to sign an agreement before this time. I was on a first name basis with most of the staff. During that time I have seen gardeners ruin dump hoses and water supplies. I saw a lawn mower run over a 50 amp line once also, but no damage that time. I have also seen the lawn mower throw rocks and gravel and wondered what if someone got hurt or a rock damaged a car/MH?

I am blown away....
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2012, 12:39 PM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
To be brutally honest, the contract set forth the RV resort owner's terms and conditions for doing business with you. You rejected them. Consequently, he has the option of either doing business with you on your terms or choosing not to do business with you. He chose the latter.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:43 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Did he bother to explain why he should be exempt from paying for damage caused by resort employees? BTW, what is the park's name and where is it located?

Nick
traveler of california is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:47 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I think that if you sign it you could have stayed there, and common sense would prevail if any damage was caused by negligence. I mean what judge would take that contract, as to allow for you to let someone destroy your belongings, without accepting fault.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:52 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I don't think this verbiage is all that unusual but their reaction to you crossing out a line seems weird. I too wonder if there isn't some explanation. Did they offer nothing? It sounds as though they really didn't want to do business with you once this happened for some reason.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:54 PM   #6

Common sense usually does not matter if you sign the agreement.
greezykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:06 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
If you have stayed in this park in the past and never been asked to sign such a document then something has happened in recent months that has caused the park owner to force customers to sign his Hold Harmless Agreement. Evidently he feels he shouldn't be held accountable for the negligent actions of his employees.

In my opinion the best thing to do is to not go back and follow up your most recent visit with a review on RV Park Reviews :: Home and also here in the Main Index - iRV2.com Campground Reviews section of the site.
Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:08 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
They set the terms, which you can reject by not staying there, modifying the terms however would require both parties to agree in advance. Not catching the fact that you crossed part of the agreement out probably does not qualify as agreement on their part.

I suppose you could say well I signed it, paid, and they accepted it therefore; but I do not see that going anywhere really.

I believe they have a reasonable worry about what your intent may be and felt you were trying to "put one over on them". Perhaps it would have been more fair to say at registration "I do not agree with a few of these statements may I cross them out and sign"?

Most of these things were drafted by lawyers or underwriters in attempt to protect against liability. Their bottom line seems to be if you do not sign the waiver as written you may not stay there.

I commend you for reading the document however, I wonder how many of these I have signed and have not given it a thought.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:15 PM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
It is generally contrary to public policy to attempt to contract away liability resulting from negligence.

Daniel C. Ellis
2005 Winnebago Journey 39F
Portland, Oregon
dcellisesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:22 PM   #10

You can thank all the sue happy people and the Lawyers and our judicial system for contracts like this.

So Many Scumbags looking for Free Rides it is Pathetic.

The system allows People to sue for anything they want however so ridiculous and the owner is responsible for Defense and Expense!

The only one who wins are the Lawyers involved, they both get Paid no matter the result.

Do yourself a Favor next Time and Sign without making any changes.

In the event of a Truly at fault (by the Campground Staff) situation I see no Reason why it could not be Peacefully resolved between the parties without any Lawyers.

This is mainly a Defense mechanism to avoid Frivolous lawsuits.

Good Luck.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:24 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcellisesq View Post
It is generally contrary to public policy to attempt to contract away liability resulting from negligence.

Daniel C. Ellis
2005 Winnebago Journey 39F
Portland, Oregon
Which, in laymans terms means you cannot waive negligence regardless of what the waiver says. If there is negligence, you can sue for negligence. Just gotta prove the negligence.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:26 PM   #12

Most parks that I stay at with advanced reservations e-mail a confirmation along with park rules...dog rules, quiet times, etc. It seems rather inconsiderate that a park with conditions as restrictive as the ones noted above would not give you a heads-up before you make the trip to the park.
Personally, I would never sign a contract releasing the park from all liability, from owner, employees, etc. I understand natural occurances, but really, employee actions? If they hit your RV with their utility vehicle they are to be held harmless?
Guess what they are saying is the facility and it's employees do not have insurance!!!
Drive off, do not enter, extreme danger within these walls.
JMHO
kalynzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:08 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
By not accepting the offer to sign anew without x'ing out is out of line, they showed what poor business people they are. The park should have discussed the requirements with you.

They reacted instead of acting. And thus lost a good customer - and the business of others that will read of the incident and behavior.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:46 PM   #14

I have a friend who is an attorney and top-notch litigator, he told me a long time ago, 'sign the form, you can't waive stupidity or negligence no matter what it says on the form'.

I've only had to test it once, and in a very minor case, a tire shop employee dropped my SUV off the jack, owner started in with the 'you signed......' BS.

I smiled and said something like "so if you deny any liability then what am I paying you for if you're not a professional tire operation?'

He thought for about 0.5 seconds, smiled and told me to go to his buddies body shop down the street. By the time I got there the owner was waiting for me and said he'd bill the tire shop directly, no questions asked.