Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2011, 08:28 PM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Indiana State sponsored FALSE ADVERTISING

We traveled across Indiana today on I80 (toll road). I was so mad about all the False Advertising the gas stations are allowed to do! All the billboards have a price of $3.85 but when you go to gas up the MH the price is $4.26. Their excuse is "Oh that's the tax exempt price". That's BS! Just a mile off the turnpike if you go to Walmart or Meyer they post a price of $3.88 and that's what you pay! One dealer told me, "Oh that's just the way Indiana does it." That's just wrong that Indiana can get away with this.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2011, 09:04 PM   #2

It is not only I 80; I 70 is the same - as are other roads throughout Indiana. Sadly other states also have this tax exempt for commercial carriers with an ICC number. It is buyer beware, especially at truck oriented stations.
wkdwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:53 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Is that the same as "colored" diesel?

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 06:24 AM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
The lower price is indeed for exempt trucks, but is usually 6 cents. There may also be a discount for cash too. Trucks pay their fuel tax quarterly and must keep track of every mile run in every state so all states ran through get their share of the pie whether fuel was bought in that state or not. As for being cheaper off the pike, unless you're out in the boonies fuel is generally cheaper in town then on the road.
blackf3504dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 08:35 AM   #5

Indiana State sales tax is 7% ...at $4 / gallon, the tax would be $0.28 per gallon. The six cents or so is the credit card price / cash price difference. And yes, it IS very deceptive, but most diesel sales are to OTR truckers so the minority (us) has to do the math.
Red James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 09:55 AM   #6

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
And then, in a few states, there is a large DIESEL price, and underneath in much smaller type: OFF ROAD
Old 06-01-2011, 01:02 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

It's a truck stop, so naturally they advertise the price that truckers pay, which in Indiana does not include road taxes (truckers pay those quarterly in Indiana). Private vehicles in Indiana, whether gas or diesel, pay their road taxes at the pump, so you & I pay a higher rate in Indiana.

You got surprised because you didn't know about it, but it is hardly illegal or nefarious. It's kind of like hotels advertising room rates that don't include taxes. You go in and find out you are billed 10-18% more than the advertised rate. Another surprise but, most published prices don't include taxes, right?
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 09:40 PM   #8

Smitty that is a common, and state-approved method of advertising diesel fuel. Stations throughout Indiana follow this practice. They must state on the pump if it is tax-exempt pricing, but the billboard signs can read either way. I don't like it either, and I live in Indiana. It didn't take long to become aware of the bigger price differential, and avoid those stations.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 11:13 PM   #9

Note that some billboards will state cash only in small letters and tack on the credit card fee if uses
RVhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 06:49 AM   #10
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
How far is it across Indiana? I can go approximately 900 miles on a tank of fuel. I'll be sure to not stop for fuel in the State.

Thanks for the information.

Do they have Flying J or Pilot in Indiana?
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 10:37 AM   #11

Wayne,

There are over 30 FJ's and Pilots in IN.

OR also posts the ICC price and adds 24 cents for POV's, in our case MH's.

On the FJ/Pilot web site these exceptions are posted.

Al Sawyer
'05 MADP
allynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 11:02 AM   #12

Thank gosh they were too crowded in the Indianapolis FJ and I drove down another 60 miles and pulled into a small station/ store and bought it for $.35 cheaper. What a rip off.
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 03:11 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
FYI - Oregon is similar. When looking at prices advertised at the stations there may be a 25 cent difference. The lower price is "PUC" what ever that means (truckers pay that one) but you can figure you'll pay the higher price.

Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 06:29 PM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you feel you have a valid complaint, I hope you saved your receipts.

Send copies to the proper Attorney General.. And seek professional help.

There should be not tax exempt customers on that road.