Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2012, 09:11 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Indoor Outdoor wireless thermometers

I have gone through 2 indoor outdoor thermometers already. Anybody have suggestions on what brand works best and also do you attach the outdoor sensor or set it on a table outdoors?
stevieptcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2012, 09:40 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have about six of them. Two in my coach and the rest in my stick house.

The ones in the coach have the senders attached to the windows shade awning on each side of the coach so I get sun side and shade side reading.

At home one sits on a table outback and one of the others is in my overhead (hits 135 up there).

The only problem I ever have is replacing the batteries on a couple of them. You have to mess around with them to get them to talk to each other. I usually replace the batteries in the sender and receiver at the same time.

Follow the instructions on installing batteries because it works with a certain sequence. You can find the instructions by Googling the brand and model.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:57 AM   #3

Excel Owners Club
For what its worth, I am using a couple of them in my fridge and freezer. Kinda cool at a glance I can see if it is keeping up without opening the doors.

Using >Acurite< brand name units. (Acquired from Wally World) Several months old and work okay so far. Only issue with using several of them close together is every now and then I gotta teach the readout unit which sensor it is to read. Not hard to do by pulling the batteries and reinstalling, and waiting until the readout unit gets a connection from the remote.

Also have one for outdoor temp. That remote sensor is stuck under the 5th wheel step up portion of the "house". Another in the truck. That remote sensor is stuck inside and under the front bumper " wrapped in vacuum shrink wrap to protect from elements" to get a close reading for actual highway temp. whether hot or freezing.
Auto hauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:33 AM   #4

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Radio Shack,

One in the refer, one in the freezer, one outside in the water bay, and one bedside.

Best $39.00 we ever spent.

Tiffin Allegro Bus, 425 Cummins Freightliner XCR, Camp Freightliner, Acadia Denali, tow-N-4 Down, Blue-OX tow bar, TST Monitors, Seelevel II Monitors, Samsung Res Fridge, Progressive 50A-EMS, No Kids-No Pets, Full Time.
bdaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 02:52 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Got a Radio Shack in my 5er. One probe sits ouside the screen on the window an the other is internal in the unit. Was in there when I bought the unit and looks to be at least 3 or 4 years. Works real good.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:17 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I bought ours at Home Depot. I set the outside sensor on top of one of the front tires.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 03:55 PM   #7

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I can't find the thermometer brand, but I mounted the outdoor sensor in the propane bay. It is open on the bottom so it seems more accurate than in an enclosed bay. I used industrial strength velcro to attach it over 10,000 miles a year ago.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:32 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have The Weather Channel indoor/outdoor thermometer made by La Crosse Technology. I also mount the external sensor in the propane bay for the same reason cited by okmunky. It is open to the outside and somewhat protected from nasty weather. Mine is located right behind the front driver side tire so it does get damp when driving in rain however.

In addition to the supplied holder that the sensor snaps into, I use a twisty around the sensor and the propane bracket it is mounted on to secure it better. So far I have not lost it on the road.

I sometimes set another one of the sensors on the table outside. When camping in the winter, I place one in the water bay to make sure nothing freezes.

The only problem I have is that occasionally the unit hangs up and I have to remove the batteries in the master unit and all of the sensors to get it going again.
Mountain Master Motorcycle Lift, 2018 Harley Davidson CVO Limited
wlf00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:38 PM   #9
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I purchased on at LL Bean back in 2007/8 that is a dual temperature reading. The outside sensor is set up when we park and extend the slide. DW sets the sensor in a little cubbyhole on the slide rail out of direct sunlight. It's on the check list to bring it in when we depart the CG.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:33 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I like the idea of attaching the outside probe in the propane bay. If I would set it on the tire, I would drive off and over it when I leave. I was settng mine in the arm of the awning. The last time we packed up I forgot it and it stayed inside the arm and was working fine until I opened the awning last weekend and crunched it.
stevieptcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:57 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve N Sal View Post
I bought ours at Home Depot. I set the outside sensor on top of one of the front tires.

You best kiss that baby goodbye.....One of these days it'll be gone.

I know for a fact I'd forget it sooner or later. Fortunately my head is attached.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:40 AM   #12

Nor'easters Club
Send a message via ICQ to MaxTurner1
I have bought both Rad-shack and LaCrosse. Hands down I favor the LaCrosse. I get a daily e-mail from meritline.com . They usually have a model on sale. I like them because they are very cheap, no tax and no shipping. The LaCrosse' seem to be mmuch more accurate and durable.
MaxTurner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:17 AM   #13

We also have the LaCrosse. I chose it because we have one of their window-mounted min/max units and have had excellent support from the company.

I asked them about leaving the sensor on the outside of the rig while driving and they said not to do that. I have the clip mount for the outside sensor and located it alongside the entry door in the shade of the awning.

I also leave the sensor in the MH and take the display into the house when we're docked at home. Useful in winter to tell whether the inside of the MH is getting too cold.

One thing I didn't know, until I had a problem at the start of the season, is that, if you take the batteries out, wait 15 minutes before installing new ones. The instruction manual doesn't explain why.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:40 AM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My La Crosse came with a mount which I attached near the front door of the MH. I take it in when we are moving and just stick it out there when we are set up. Also one in the water bay using the same mount. Head unit in the MH kitchen in easy view velcroed to a cabinet. HAd it nine years, had to replace a sending unit once and always remember to put new batteries in but that's it they work fine.

I also have a cheapy La Crosse clock in the bath and it just runs and runs and runs. It resets to the national clock so it is our "standard" for time.

La Crosse makes a good product.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
indoor